main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    RotJ:

[​IMG]

TLJ:

[​IMG]

It's just a different way of doing it with the effects, TLJ's likely a digital approach while RotJ was however they did it in 1983.

Clearly he's still "ghosted up" in TLJ, nobody's going to mistake that for a physical living-and-breathing Yoda.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Why would Ghost Luke have a robot hand/glove still? The image has added effect work in it. I mean, there's no way they'd let MH stand inside fire like that to take a random pic. They could have easily added glow Ghost effect or anything else to it. So it's him, and it's either the past, or it's the present non-ghost.

Possibilities:
    A: Ahch-to, before TFA but way after the Temple destruction period.
    B: TROS era, Luke isn't dead, he comes back to life. He rises. Rise of Skywalker refers to him. Now that he's been to the Beyond and back, he has a full picture of the Force, to pass on.

[​IMG]

3. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    That scene...didnt the MF caught fire at some point, according to the leaks?

As for the glove, whatever. Yoda came back with his stick. A piece of metal, a piece of wood.

So in ROTJ the stick disappeared off screen when Yoda died. 'Too much for the kids, let's show Yoda dying instead'

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm pretty surprised that we're getting our first look at Luke in TROS this early. I assumed they'd hold off for that reveal in the film itself.

11-4D, TadoFett, nightangel and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

And yet, Anakin comes back with arms and legs again and his skin looks less crispy. He's not just a stump w cyborg appendages. Yoda's stick or whatever, is about the same as them all wearing Jedi robes still. I think it's an important detail in this new Luke picture. This is not Ghost Luke. He's alive and it's either past or present.

6. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Your B therory is a bit crazy, but would turn a lot around. JJ Abrams is quoted in the VF article of them settling for an ending for a very spesific character - an arch than spans through all 9 movies. Just speculate here....

Ok. Quote was more like this then: ( still could mean Luke)
    «Citing meetings he’s had with The Force Awakens and original trilogy writer Lawrence Kasdan as well as Rian Johnson and George Lucas, Abrams says the ending they settled on was specifically designed to close a satisfying arc that spans not just these final three films, but the complete Skywalker trilogy. “If a kid is watching all nine movies,” Abrams says, “he or she sees this one path, this inevitability and that’s the challenge of this movie.”

7. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    That wouldn`t really fit with Luke though as he doesn`t span through all 9 movies. Anakin maybe, Palpatine of course. Who would be my guess that quote refers to.

As for Luke`s look, I think it`s probably gonna be Luke`s FG and I don`t think Abrams thought too much about gloves and hands, clothes and hair colour. It is basically old Luke in Jedi robes. Which IMO would be Abrams logical box to check. It would feel weird at this point to resurrect the character only to kill him off again somewhere in the movie. Abrams reiterated that this movie will belong to the new generation so outside two or three cameos, there isn`t room for a big Luke story. Nor does Mark Hamill`s demeanor indicate anything like that.

Roosterq and Glitterstimm like this.
  8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the amount of blue glow around a Force ghost has less to do with the Force ghost himself, and more to do with the living Force user's perception of that Force ghost. So as Luke grew stronger in the Force in the OT, his perception of Obi-Wan and Yoda became increasingly more visible and tactile, to the extent that Yoda barely had any blue glow for his reappearance in TLJ.

So in the case of TROS, is Luke's lack of blue glow a reflection of the strength of Rey's perception of him? Or is it simply just an aesthetic decision for this specific photoshoot?

9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    VF literally stated that that’s how Luke appears in RoS.

10. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Hmm. Well, i would agree that Anakin might fit that definition better, and he is present in every movie, sort of.

But: My initial quote was not entirely correct. JJ says through «Skywalker Saga» - not every one of the 9 films. Sorry.

11. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    That makes me think even more Palpatine if they are gonna resurrect him in some way as much as I loathe the idea because it undoes the last vestiges of the OT. If they do, I`m rooting for Palps.

12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Agree. Ghost Yoda looked GREAT in TLJ. I was pleasantly surprised as I thought they might fumble the whole Force Ghost look in the digital era since it has never been done digitally before.

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, loved the way he looked in that scene there, glad they went practical again with something physical for Mark to interact with.

14. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I have to read the article more carefully as I just quickly skimmed it as well as the photos. The photos don't say too much. We don't know if that's Luke in a flashback as a ghost or if the shot really shows Luke in "full force ghost" effects. Again, what we picture as a force ghost in the conventional sense (or as seen in past films) may not be what JJ has in mind. He's also with R2. How is he with R2? Something tells me this photo was just the for magazine shoot. Who knows. I could be totally off the mark here. Could be a flashback. I also wonder why they showed a photo of Luke prior to the film and not leave it as a surprise in the film and the fact that he will have a very small part? The latter makes me think it's just a photo. Again, I could be totally wrong. Looks good, though.

15. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If the Luke portrait is a deep fake, they went all the way with the fake, including R2 and flames and an actual background indicating a planet, etc.

They could have just had a studio shot of Luke in the costume, similar to the Mark and Carrie photo in the 2017 spread.

TadoFett, RetropME and Demsa Aztor like this.
  16. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    As I've always thought, if Palps is back then Luke and/or Anakin HAVE to come back, because they are the ones destined to deal with him, not Rey. So Luke returning with more of a physical appearance than usual, for FGs, would not surprise me one bit. Neither would a complete resurrection. If it's the will of the Force, Luke will return.

Rey's fight is with both herself and Kylo.

Deliveranze and Demsa Aztor like this.
  17. Darth Stratocaster

Darth Stratocaster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Possibility C:

Annie Leibovitz (or an assistant) didn't add the requisite ghostly shimmer for whatever reason.

I like possibility B a lot. But not I'm not letting a Vanity Fair photo spread get my hopes up.

18. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    If we saw him reappear, lift the X-wing out of the water (the fact it was down there in the first place symbolised him 'giving up', like he would have done on Dagobah without Yoda's teachings), would people have a problem with that?

19. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Artoo is significant though, because he only came to Ahch-to with Rey and Chewie. I can't remember, did we explicitly see him leave and reunite with the resistance? I'm assuming we did. Which should, theoretically, place Luke with the resistance in this shot. Could his "noone is ever really gone" line have been meant to reassure Leia that he would be back? Maybe he just disappeared so he could teleport to the others and save them the trouble of picking him up? And to subvert expectations, naturally ;)

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Unfinished shot , Luke Rises from the dead ....mmmm December can't come soon enough to answer these questions [face_thinking][face_nail_biting]

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmm, no idea. Still think Luke will only have a small force ghost appearance in IX....[face_dunno]

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I like the idea of R2 loyally following Ghost Luke around, and people wondering what the heck is going on with that droid.

If it wasn't for the hair, I'd think that photo is Luke standing there soon after his moment with Ben and thinking "Well, I really effed that up."

23. Earth Jedi

Earth Jedi Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    I think this time around we're going to learn a lot more about Force Ghosts. Not just because I think they'll play a big part (I'm expecting Anakin as well as Luke), but because the potential has always been there. Obi-Wan's iconic line ("strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine") has always implied that ordinary limitations are cast aside once a Jedi becomes one with the Force. I think now's the perfect time for this to be explored with Luke and I fully expect this to happen. I'm undecided as to whether or not I think Luke will be brought back to life for the film's finale, but either way, I'm confident he's going to kick some serious ass when the good guys need him most.

moxlox, Deliveranze and TadoFett like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    give me zombie Luke over force ghost Luke.[face_waiting]

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Also Vanity Fair, circa 1999

[​IMG]

OMG OBI-WAN AND DARTH MAUL FIGHT ON TATOOINE!!!

[face_mischief][face_coffee]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.