main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Mods, I hope you will allow me to respond to this, and then I will say something about Luke in episode IX. ...

@Aximili86 , You seem to have ignored my point about George Lucas saying that Luke has the same Force potential as Anakin had before Anakin lost his limbs in that 2005 vanity fair magazine. The OT films also portray Luke as very powerful, and definitely NOT “ second tier” in natural force power. Unfortunately, too many people seem to want to forget about the OT and diminish its importance while pushing the ST and the ST characters as superior. Sadly, it seems that the filmmakers are included in wanting to do that.

Sadly, therefore, I am expecting very little of Luke Skywalker in episode IX. If they really had an important role for him, Rian Johnson wouldn’t have been allowed to kill Luke off in TLJ. However, as they have admitted, they didn’t know what to do with Luke that wouldn’t have Luke overshadowing their new characters in the ST. I have a great deal to say about that, as I find it to be rather lame, but this isn’t the thread for it. Suffice it to say though that if they didn’t want Luke to shine above Rey when she had just discovered that she had the force in TFA, that they are not going to want to risk having Luke do anything that would take the focus away from Rey in RoS, where it really SHOULD be her place to shine and be the primary hero.

I think we may see Luke in a flashback where Han and leia bring Kylo to luke’s Jedi school. We will likely see him (or at least hear his voice) in that scene from the trailer where he tells Rey that this is her fight. Then, we will likely see him smiling at perfect Rey at the end along with the other Force ghosts. (Yoda, Anakin, and Obiwan) That’s likely the extent of Luke ‘s role in IX, especially since Mark Hamill didn’t seem to be on the set of RoS very much. These likely scenes in IX certainly won’t help redeem the character in my eyes or make me feel better about the character assassination and Luke’s now diminished importance in the saga that he went through in TLJ.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Oh I think TLJ rather highlighted and underlined his importance to the Saga.

TadoFett likes this.
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    So, let's leave it at that.

I mean, listen: We're trying to moderate the discussion -- and not necessarily impose our will, here.

But numerous mod warnings have been cast aside.
    What are we to do? Ban three, four, five members just because they refuse to take the hint? I mean, I don't want to do that, but if I have to?

Geez, guys, i
    t shouldn't be that hard to understand. This isn't the place for the discussion you're having. Just take it to the appropriate forum and leave this topic for Luke in TROS.

Thank you.
    -Sabreon

4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    What does everyone think, will FG Luke have a present day scene with Leia in ROS?

5. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I don't think so. They can only use previously existing footage from Carrie. And it would be awkward to cut it together from another scene she did and basically just insert FG Luke in. You don't get anything good like that.

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would like a Luke and Leia scene in the opening of the film, but set in a time before he lost his academy.

A film about the rise of skywalker, starting with two skywalkers interacting/training in a era of more hope.

Instead of having a darkish beginning like the previous two films.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Neesh, The Regular Mustache and Rodie like this.
  7. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Starting the film within a flashback or force vision would be unique and pretty cool, and it would be an easier way to have Leia be a part of the very first sequence, setting her up to have a presence throughout the film even without a lot of scenes.

It would be wild if the film panned down on an X-wing arriving on a planet and it was younger Luke, and then we see Luke talking to Leia about the Force while she meditates (maybe even levitating something small in the room like a cup or dish), then after Luke's speech about the Force (something that'll come back and be relevant to the theme/plot of IX) then we cut to older Leia meditating at the Resistance Base or on a ship, Poe rushes in and spouts some exposition. Leia has one line in response (old ADR), then Poe rushes out and the plot begins...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the movie might end with FG Luke in the presence of Leia who's possibly a Force ghost herself by then.

Neesh and Rodie like this.
  9. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I could live with that, if Leia somehow becomes one with the Force on screen and in an impactful way. I would really hate for Leia to pass away off screen and then just pop up in the end as a spirit. I still think there's more power in the IX narrative if Leia is made Chancellor or something at the end and more interesting pathways for future canon novels and comics (even animated series) with a Leia that's very much alive well into her old age. A 100 year old Leia would be amazing.

Perhaps with the footage they have of Carrie, there's a way to have FG Luke appear to Kylo and bring Kylo into a vision or give Kylo the ability to see across the galaxy as his mother becomes one with the Force, and this has a great emotional impact on Ben Solo.

10. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Agreed. If Leia passes away in TROS it would be rough not seeing her as a Force ghost at the end of the movie.

11. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    My hunch is a force ghost and possible flashback. Or even a scene with a de-aged Hamill.

Rodie and The Regular Mustache like this.
  12. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Didn't Hamill not have a beard for a while during the production period leading to speculation that he'd have that face mapping or whatever done for the de-aging process?

So maybe the rumor of a young Luke and young Leia scene and Hamill's potential de-aging, is all related to Leia's fate? Perhaps Abrams really wanted to have Force Ghost Leia at the end of IX, but maybe he also felt that he needed a scene showing Leia learning of the Force from Luke in order to sell the idea that she becomes a Force Ghost, too.

Neesh and The Regular Mustache like this.
  13. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I could see a de-aged Luke in a flashback with Leia. That is rumored, right? The thing about that is I feel like a flashback would need to be about Kyo AND Rey. If the flashback is just about Kylo than I think there's a danger of making TROS Kylo's story more than Rey's story and they really should not risk doing that.

godisawesome , Rodie and Demsa Aztor like this.
  14. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    There are a couple of twitter pics of him in the make up room and one with Jane Goodall around that time and he has no beard.

Rodie likes this.
  15. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    There has been a rumour going around about that, but not lately.

16. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    I've heard about a de aging scene, but not necessarily with Leia in it. Makes sense though.

Rodie likes this.
  17. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe Rey and Leia are meditating together and this meditation triggers the flashback/shared memory that Leia has of her and Luke from many years ago...

Regardless, I really like the idea of seeing Luke and Leia together sometime between ROTJ and TFA. This is the last Skywalker Saga film after all. We should see them together one more time.

TadoFett likes this.
  18. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    Could be. Who's knows. If MH went through a de aging process it's definitely related to a flashback.
    What is also interesting is that MH isn't in California. He's gone somewhere East for work or personal business. Also, reshoots have been announced for ROS from July to September. Mind you they will not be filming continuously. Is Mark in the UK?

Rodie likes this.
  19. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    It'll be interesting to see how the de-aged scene plays out, (if it actually exists). Will it be a Forceback from Rey's perspective? Will it be a Forceback from Kylo's perspective? Will it be a shared vision? Will it be a traditional flashback with FG Luke telling Rey and/or Kylo about something from the past and as he's talking the movie will cut to a memory from the past?

There have been rumors that Rey and Kylo will be battling on some sort of psychic, out of body plane of existence that has them hopping to various locations, (and possibly scenes?) that have appeared in the saga films. If that's true I suppose in the midst of their Force hopping Rey and Kylo could find themselves stumbling across a moment from the past where a younger Luke and Leia are talking about something that effects both Rey and Kylo.

TadoFett, KSennia and Demsa Aztor like this.
  20. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016

Yes, I've heard these rumours. Sounds interesting and hope it plays out well on screen. My hope is JJ/LFL gives fans some more info. as the speculation/rumour well is dry and they need something to keep the momentum going.

TadoFett likes this.
  21. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Would LFL release some type of short Behind the Scenes video/EPK kind of video in August, before the next trailers arrive in Oct?

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    While its obvious Luke will probably have a scene with Rey - my only wish is he has a scene or two with Kylo.

Luke wont do much else. He might say something poignant to Kylo/Ben, but thats about it. Luke has nothing really to contribute in Ep9 if Rey has already learnt everything there is to learn.

23. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    Agreed. There's no time left for him to teach. This is the time for everything that has been said or hinted at to be applied and for all things, at least for this generation, to come to their conclusion, just as in ROTS and ROTJ. For good or ill, the future is in the hands of the living. They have to decide what to do with it.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  24. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I actually expect them to do something big with Luke. It sounds to me like Lucasfilm has heard the fans, and I believe they want to deliver big on Luke's character after TLJ. I still think the only good reason for having Luke die is to bring him back in a way unlike any Jedi has returned before... I think a full on ressurection is coming.

For me, the best ending to this saga would be for the son (Luke) to be ressurected, somehow empowered by the father (Anakin), in order to spread the word of peace and love across the GFFA. Rey would I guess be his first disciple and the leader of the reformed Jedi Order. This makes the most sense to me from a mythic sense.

I expect Luke, with the help of Yoda and Obi, to intervene from the Netherworld to finally take down Palpatine once and for all. Rey will ultimately team with Kylo, in order to transcend good and evil, and Kylo will sacrifice himself to destroy the FO.

I think the key for me is that they do something different with Luke than they did with the previous force ghosts. There needs to be some progress here. If Luke just returns as a normal force ghost, been there, done that. He needs to play an active role. Luke was our original hero, but after the PT, Anakin sort of took over as the ultimate hero of the saga. I'd like to see Luke take that mantle back.

Storm_Cloud and moxlox like this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Can't see it i'm afraid, we had a scene with the two in TLJ, I suppose it'll depend how much unused footage of that scene is left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.