main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    yesssss.

Lost_Hope likes this.
  2. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Along with Luke going off to the nudist colony in the sky, I think SNL should bring Mark on for a series of skits with all of his proposed ideas through the years.

At one point, I know he was talking about wanting Luke to go evil for RotJ (Kasdan, too). Clone!Luke was actually in the old EU (Luuke was grown from Luke's hand).

Maybe we can also add in the opening nightmare fantasy sequence from the TLJ novelization (Luke never left Tatooine) and get Koo Stark to cameo!

Add in some of the other wacky alternate Lukes. Some of them are comedy gold.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I actually think a series with all of MH's Luke ideas would be great. LFL and Disney have money. Why not?

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Man that is some truly bad stuff. Ha!

ETA: Mark unleashed is the Tommy Wiseau of Star Wars.

yanote and oncafar like this.
  5. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. His character was one that inspired hope and fought when it was tough. He also held true to his ideals, even when many others were telling him he was wrong, he still kept true to himself. Leia even told him to run away and hide, but he refused and chose to confront Vader, even knowing that he could very well die if he failed. That's who Luke was and I think that he got a raw deal in the new films. They didn't have to decimate his order, have the survivors all turn dark, have him actually pull a lightsaber on a sleeping Ben who had yet to do anything and then run away in shame for YEARS. It's great that you can enjoy it, but I and many others cannot.

6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    But people can change with hardship. This reminds me of Picard's character in Next Gen. In one episode he is broken by torture because he is only human and everyone breaks eventually. In another episode sequence he's turned into a Borg and forced to kill others. This breaks him because he tried so hard to fight it but he couldn't. The lesson is we're not invincible. We're human. Luke who saved his father couldn't save his nephew, and that shook him to the core. He broke. And then in TLJ, he picked himself up again.

This also reminds me of a wolf pack. The alpha is the strongest and most confident. The omega is weak and under-confident, afraid. These roles are not fixed however. The strongest may weaken. The weakest may rise. Why isn't it fixed? Because wolves are living beings subject to the hardships of existence (alpha may fall) who can also change for the better (omega can rise). No one is indomitable or perfect. And nothing lasts forever.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    And no one’s ever really gone. ;)

Star war, ChrisLyne and oncafar like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Grumpy broken Luke was fine. Luke being unable to save his nephew is fine. The only issue was the Minority Report scene.

I would like to see Luke come back as a ghost in IX, as his commentary on the Force in TLJ was great, and his last speech on Crait was one of the best in all of Star Wars. I can see Rey learning a lot from reading the old texts but Luke coming in to give her guidance ever so often would make sense and be worthwhile.

Rickleo123, yanote and ChrisLyne like this.
  9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    What's the minority report scene?

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The raised saber over young Kylo as he slept.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You know, there's a sequence in this film involving Luke that I find myself continuously disappointed by and that is his entire time spent explaining the flaws of the Jedi to Rey as if this is something he recently figured out. I mean, I really do not understand the idea here. Did Yoda and Obi-Wan impart nothing on Luke regarding the Order's past failures as they slumped into a malaise of complacency and bureaucratic excess which led to their downfall? Was there no communication with his masters regarding this idea?

It just seems ridiculous that he'd largely fall into the Old Republic Jedi's mistakes when he clearly has insight from his own experiences that restoring the Republic Jedi's ideals and codes simply would not do anymore. It's such a mediocre scene that only gets more shallow in retrospect.

Darth Nikean likes this.
  12. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't think he only recently learned about the flaws of the PT Jedi. I think he didn't believe he shared those flaws until everything went south. That's when he began examining his own vanity.

13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's the best scene in the movie for me - and one of the best in the saga.

14. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Mark’s voiceover in this scene is amazing. It’s so intense and dramatic, like his work as the Joker on BTAS.

15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    It is like minority report in that Luke's version is he considered killing Ben briefly but didn't try to; Kylo's version is that Luke tried to kill him. Although there is no minority report, just two versions, each contradicts the other, each is true to the reporter, and one is more accurate than the other.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Except the only thing that could instigate Luke's response would be if he realized that Ben had already been instigating a schism and attempting to have his students throw themselves in with a genocidal military junta (which just so happens to be led by an individual who is a Sith lord in all but name). So, this entire thing largely falls apart. You don't commit that kind of conspiracy and not expect retaliation. Especially when you know innocent people will die as a result.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. I LOVE how Luke was truly his father’s son. He had darkness in him, and made a mistake that had ramifications. But he was determined not to become a bad guy. He would rather disconnect from the Force and live alone than entertain losing control completely.

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I think Luke just saw that Ben would destroy everything he loved because of what he would become and reacted on instinct very briefly.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    OK, so just from the way that scenario was presented, we have two options:

1. The one I stated previously which would entirely portray Ben as the insidious cur he is, making him totally unsympathetic or...

2. Luke contemplates murdering his nephew in his sleep on a whim.

Hmmmm...

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes. And this can't be stressed enough - when push comes to shove, Luke cannot do what some of the detractors claim. He cannot kill his nephew. Yet you'd think from some of the reaction that he is a child murderer.

21. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    And it broke Ben's trust in Luke and his heart.
    Then Ben did become the very thing, Luke was trying to prevent.

Tragic.
    This whole family is TRAGIC.
    I feel sad. :(

22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    The fact that he'd even walk in with a weapon on his person without prior knowledge of some severe wrongdoing on Ben's part is baffling in and of itself.

23. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Bingo. Luke knows the Jedi Order fell because they failed to stop the Sith. He entertained the idea of stopping Ben, but ultimately couldn’t do it. Yes, it’s his sister’s son, but I fail to see why Luke’s a bad guy for THINKING about stopping a great evil before it establishes itself.

24. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    As a Jedi why would we be surprised that he always has his lightsaber with him? He doesnt mean he came to Ben with the possibility of killing him in mind.

Before this moment Luke is already suspicious about Ben but it's only when he reaches out for his nephew's mind that he discovers how far into the dark side he's fallen. Far deeper than Luke thought.

What would you do when you foresee a future with a new Vader? By pure instinct Luke ignites his lightsaber...but Luke being Luke he cant bring himself to do it.

Yet the mistake was that Ben saw that and interpretated it as his uncle about to kill him which ironically pushed even further and for good into the dark side.

It's a compelling tragic story IMO.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    If a previous vision of the future that I had prior had resulted in me running into a battle that nearly cost me my life, I'd be far more skeptical as to what is a certainty when it comes to those visions. Especially when a master of the art of immersing oneself in the Force explains to me that the future, even with such abilities, can never truly be accurately ascertained.

Also, I doubt that Luke pushed Ben along when Ben basically revealed that everything he did (burning the temple, killing the students who refused to join and taking those who he turned to the First Order) that night was premeditated. Systematically causing a schism and destruction of an entire order isn't exactly something you'd qualify as a crime of passion that happens in the heat of the moment.

There is no tragedy to this because Ben's actions reek of betrayal. He's essentially mad at Luke for correctly identifying him as a traitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.