main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, and here's an example.
    [​IMG]
    This is not Kylo Ren's attack, it's Hux's. Kylo is barely involved in the plans or execution of usage of Starkiller Base, as far as we can see. He can't even be bothered to go down to the base for Hux's big Hitler speech and the subsequent firing of the weapon, and his masked face hides whatever reaction he does have above while watching it happen. I'm not saying he's thinking "this is wrong!", but he doesn't seem to really be on board with the whole thing either. The point is that he is not the same as the FO in every regard, nor are their goals necessarily the same (much like Vader and the Empire). So while Kylo is obviously responsible for a lot of Bad Stuff, everything that the FO does is not automatically somehow pinnable on Luke's perceived failings with Kylo.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is my feeling as well. I can possibly get behind the concept of "Broken Luke", but you're going to have to cross every T and dot every I. I'm not meeting you half way. I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm not extrapolating from incomplete data. I'm not inferring from ambiguity. I'm not saying close/good enough. Convince me. Earn it. Execute Order 66 to perfection. If you're going to break my favorite Star Wars character (which in some ways is like breaking Star Wars itself for me) you better come equipped with a script on par with "War & Peace" in it's magnitude of a writing achievement.

Otherwise, I'd rather you take a different story direction.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Two thoughts here, though one is more Kylo-based than Luke based:

1. TFA focuses an awful lot on how Kylo’s powers and skill set make him more capable of extracting information necessary to trying to track down Luke, who’s one person gone off to somewhere in the Space Boonies. While I wouldn’t say that Luke not being active means that SKB is his fault, Luke could be an equally effective agent in trying to sniff out facts and figures about the First Order, and almost certainly would if he were engaged in trying to search out his nephew and fallen student out of a sense of responsibility. And aside from the possibility of sniffing out SKB, s8mply trying to find and stop Kylo would put Luke on a path towards the villages the KoR raze, the children being kidnapped by the FO for the Stormtrooper Corps, and even just general knowledge about the FO’s men and material, which is still supposed to have been a highly guarded secret before TFA.

It basically comes down to the fact that TLJ’s take on Broken!Luke feels like a personification, even an exaggerated parody, to some extent, of the saying “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Because that’s what TLJ’s take on Luke is doing - nothing. That’s what makes it feel cowardly, selfish, and like negligence... and to be blunt, like a boring waste of a good premise.

Now, I’d still argue that a Broken!Luke should still be actually somewhat useless before TLJ and be more in character, but again, I think that having him do nothing makes the story feel like melodrama unconcerned with consistent characterization and over-concerned with making a point at the expense of good storytelling. Luke diving into the the mysteries of the Force, trying to commune with his father for insight into Kylo’s fall, or even just having only recently begun his exile and thus lessening the feeling of his negligence occurring (which would have been a possible avenue for the story to take considering how limited information was from TFA) would have massaged the story into being, well, just better overall.

2. I *believe* I’ve heard reports that an earlier script had Kylo voice some disagreement about using Hosnian Prime... and if that’s true, than I’m glad it was removed from the actual film, and that his actions can be read as implicitly endorsing and approving the move. Kylo’s TFA’s badguy who’s going to murder his loving father and legendary pop culture icon Han Solo, and who casually orders a village murdered, all for selfish or apathetic reasons. The crimes that make it to the screen do not jive well with a Kylo hesitant to fire off SKB, and frankly, the character works best if his TFA role as a merciless antagonist who only barely hints at internal conflict he’s crushing because of his fanaticism is maintained, where his protestations of conflict are ultimately red herrings revealing a deranged mind suffering from delusions about morality and reality. And I wouldn’t want them trying to retcon in some doubt and silent disapproval in the future; if we’re trying to maybe differentiate Kylo as an evil identity and personality from Ben, then the best way to do that is to imply that the Kylo identity is so strong and so frighteningly mad that it was fully on board with murdering billions, so that a Ben identity could be haunted by it to maximum extent - and maybe freed from some responsibility for it by way of being mentally unwell.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes again, to this. I don't blame Luke at all for the choices of other characters. They are responsible for their own actions. But, I do think the idea of him not doing his best to fight against them is on him. If the ST had used the idea that he was trying to learn a secret to stop the fighting, I could have gotten behind that. But, as I am a firm believer in the quote in bold above, I can't agree with the way Rian chose to go with it. It was a deal breaker for me. Of course I understand how that approach might not bother others.

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I am coming in late to this discussion, but I agree with absolutely everything you have said here and in all of your other posts on this topic, @Alliyah Skywalker . I didn’t like what the filmmakers had Luke do the night that Luke went into his sleeping nephew’s room. It was stupid and totally out of character. If Luke could still find some good in the father who had committed evil acts for over 25 years, I find it ridiculous that he would give up on the nephew who supposedly hadn’t even committed one truly evil act yet. Luke was sometimes referred to as “ the Great Redeemer” in story discussions about the old EU because Luke always believed in second chances, even with people like Kyp Duran. He didn’t just write people off as lost to the dark side. And I don’t see Luke doing such an evil and dumb thing as invading his nephew’s mind without permission either. That’s just what villainous Kylo did to Rey.

However, that was one mistake, and though I disagree that it’s one that Luke would make, I could roll with it IF it was just that one thing. It’s the fact that Luke ran away like a coward for six years and did nothing that is unforgivable. He not only allowed the evil first order to arise and grow powerful in his absence, but he didn’t lift a finger to help Han, leia, the resistance or the galaxy for SIX years!! And he was the only Jedi. That means that he was the only one capable of facing stoke and Kylo. But the worst part of it all, in my opinion, is not only did he NOT try to bring Kylo back to the light or deal with him if he couldn’t, but Luke seems to have totally forgotten about and not cared about, the other Jedi apprentices who went off with Kylo. Maybe Kylo was permanently lost to the dark, but that doesn’t mean that all of the others who were influenced by him were. They were his students; his responsibility. He should have either attempted to return them to the light or kept them from causing harm to the galaxy. In TLJ, Luke didn’t show that he cared about them at all. In fact, he didn’t show that he cared about anyone at all, including his own sister. When given the opportunity to help, he refused. That’s NOT Luke Skywalker. In fact, the only time I saw even a tiny bit of the Luke I knew and loved was in the one scene between Luke and Leia. Other than that, the character with Luke ‘s name in TLJ didn’t seem like Luke at all.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    As someone who also believes in the above quote there are a couple of thing that mitigate it in my eyes. Firstly Luke has suffered an experience where I can truly understand and empathise with his mental breakdown. Secondly this mental state has caused him to genuinely believe that he will make the situation worse if he gets involved. Therefore I view Luke's inaction differently than I would someone who looks upon evil dispassionately.

Finally he does the right thing in the end which is important.

7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think this is both a testament to how successful Johnson’s approach could be/was for a lot of viewers and fans *and* an indictment for why a lot of other viewers and fans couldn’t connect with it and turned on it so viscerally.

TLJ has a script designed and targeted very specifically at engaging an audience’s emotions and exploiting any empathetic feelings an audience has towards Luke and other characters in the context of the story... but it’s simulataneously relying on large, sometimes under-supported gambles in its explanations, using a combination of vagueries, under-explored reasoning, and occasional leaps from one idea to another to make that connection and exploit those emotions.

And it’s not entirely wrong to think that tactic can and will work... but it’s handling a delicate series of ideas and concepts indelicately and sometimes carelessly, so failures to connect are more common than they should be.

For instance, the tragedy of the Hut Incident is clearly meant as an emotional shatterpoint for Luke, employing a clever use of Rashomon style storytelling to highlight Luke’s shame via his concealment of the truth and by calling back to the idea of a master failing his apprentice. BUT! it’s also gambling that no one will read the scene critically and think that Luke’s itchy-trigger-finger was justified and therefore he’d pursue Kylo when proven right, and its gambling the audience will believe that failing his nephew and his other students will break him to the point of despair and refusal to act when his aunt and uncle’s murders, Han and Leia being in danger, and Obi-Wan’s death all got him motivated to act instead, where critical eyes might think Luke’s behavior is out of whack with previous characterization.

And part of that as well is the whole idea that Luke is convinced he will make the situation worse by acting. This one's even tricky and risky just on concept - Luke is fully meant to be in the wrong here in his thinking, since he’s supposed to realize that at the end and “get his groove back.” But the approach still tries to maximize emotional investment from the audience, trying to deliberately call up the Old Jedi Order’s problems more clearly by using “Darth Sidious” instead of “Palpatine” to help give some credence to the criticism Luke is offering the Jedi here to help make his standpoint seem feasible *enough.* BUT! part of the risk that comes with the tricky concept is banking on the audience believing that Luke is educated enough to know what went down in the PT... but won’t think that the 1,000 years of peace the Jedi protected would tip the scales in their favor. Well, that, and the script doesn’t really want much time put into the simple supposition that Luke could feel some confidence that he could act better as a Jedi Knight protecting the Galaxy than as a Jedi Master trying to teach students.

TLJ’s script and story for Luke is a master class in how a writer should target emotions in his script for the sake of audience investment... and exhibit A in how a failure to properly construct lore and plot-framework for characterization choices can lead to disconnect when fans don’t like where a story is going and can immediately find flaws in the explanation to target.

Incidentally, I *would* say that Luke’s story is the strongest in terms of explanation compared to other subplots and character arcs... and that’s partly why I feel more understanding and admiration for a TLJ defender if their prized portion of the film is Luke’s story and that’s the hill they choose to defend and die on, even as I still find it undermined by the script. There’s fewer holes and leaps of logic with Luke than with other characters and plot lines.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, this is a big point we differ on. I could understand Luke feeling that way for a few weeks, or maybe even months, but 6 years was just too much for me. Especially knowing how much harm Kylo might possibly cause.
    See, this was something that I didn't think the film conveyed. I didn't get the sense that Luke felt that way.
    I agree that I don't think Luke was dispassionate. But I do think he was negligent.
    I also agree with this. It's better late than never, but I felt the damage to his character had been done by that point. I wish I felt differently.

9. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    The trouble being again, that doing the right thing in time, comes far too little too late and offers very little in redemptive value or impact upon further scrutiny.
    Luke's gambit to stall Kylo makes little sense narratively, as he's been out of the fight so long, he can't possibly have an idea of what the full impact of his actions are. To wit, his main motives for finally going seem to be to make peace with Leia and threaten his nephew that he will curse him from beyond the grave if he strikes him in anger. His giant gesture to 'save' the Resistance essentially allows a beaten army to limp off into obscurity, their numbers drastically thinned by their final attempt to try and make some kind of dint in the FO's front, which is pretty much shown to be impossible. Keep in mind this isn't a situation like in Empire where there's still a fleet and a fighting military body to retreat to. This is high command turning tail and boogieing away in a camper to avoid total obliteration.

Luke's actions are done in this vein to essentially forgive himself and go out in a way that feels totally unearned based on his behavior. He hasn't taught, he's given in to fear and anger and this final halfhearted swing at 'heroism' is supposed to clear his ledger? NO. Had Lucas been in charge of this thing, you can bet Luke would have received a thorough dressing down and would have had to put in some serious effort to redeem himself. He was cut no such breaks as a green novice, where he should arguably have been granted a bit more leeway, though his teachers never spared him the rod. For a man now having the gall to go by the title of Jedi Master and behave in this fashion? Not excusable. Not in the slightest. We're not dealing with A New Hope Luke. We're not dealing with Empire Luke. As much as Johnson might not like it, we're dealing with a Luke who has faced down similar adversities in his past and even at dark moments, dug in and found the good in himself and pushed forward. Johnson chose to ignore this and it had harmed not only Luke's original arc, but has severely hampered the project that he was supposed to have been a part of in favor of the selfish nature of his personal vision. All other concerns be damned,

10. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Been reading these last pages.

'Think global, act local' is useful to understand Luke (OT and post-OT)

After the hut, 'act local', for Luke, was facing Ben again. There was no escaping that. It was Luke's responsability -the only one he explicitly took. Thinking global (saving the galaxy, joining the fight, etc') without acting local (facing Ben) was the equivalent of saving the world without cleaning up your room first. Without taking care of those things you took direct and explicit resposability for.

Also, joining the fight without joining the part of the fight which was yours and yours only would have been dereliction of personal duty. What's to be learned from that kind of 'master'?

And that's not OT Luke at all. OT Luke helped the cause but never at the expense of the persons who were close to him. In TESB, Yoda ('if you honor what they fight for, yes') tries to convince Luke of acting otherwise and fails. That's who he is. Things doesnt change only because you are older and a jedi master (also, Ben was Leia's son) and the person who is close to you is evil (that's at the core of his relationship with Vader in ROTJ)

In ROTS, Obi-Wan put 'think global' first.
    It was a disaster:
    This is an absolute. Obi-Wan wasn't a Sith but, pragmatically, he behaved like one several times in ROTS. It was about saving the galaxy from that threat called Vader.

And then: 'you were my brother. I loved you'. Once you mutilate a Sith Lord, he's ready to be your brother again.

'Hypocrisy, hubris', says TLJ Luke, and you cant say hes 100% wrong.

After the hut, Luke was not walking that path. That wasnt him.

But he was trapped. He couldnt walk his OT path either. This time, turning the villain was not a possibility. Ben/Kylo had closed that door. Vader had not in ROTJ.

Ben/Kylo confirms that and scorns OT Luke:

Luke was more like ANH Obi-Wan when he faced Vader:

On Crait, Luke's trick was to act like ROTS Obi-Wan while really acting like ANH Obi-Wan.

Also, after the hut, there was no plan B. Obi-Wan and Yoda had Leia. At the end of TFA, the plan B presented herself at his door.

This is all in TLJ. I think there's more, and that Ben/Kylo story will shed some light on Luke's, but it will be Ben/Kylo's story, not Luke's.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    If someone saved the world, I couldn`t care less if their room was not clean. Conversely, I would think they are a trash-heap of a person if they sat out saving the world for any reason.

I would have given Luke points for trying to help in an active way in some, any capacity. Doing what he did, nothing, is indefensible to me. On Crait, Luke did a troll job that created a little diversion. He just stood there for a minute and dodged once or twice. Nothing more. And this was basically what he attempted: create a little diversion. I mean, he didn`t actually save anyone with it. Rey did that. If not for her, Luke`s little diversion would have been pointless and the 20 survivors would have simply died 2 minutes earlier. Big whoop.

And even Kylo Ren will get over being trolled in a day or two. It`s not like Luke dealt him a crippling blow of any kind. So Luke confronting him was supposed to be a narrative pay-off of the Kylo-story from TLJ but in the end, it remained pretty empty. Did the encounter give actual catharsis to either character? I guess Kylo could rest easy in knowing Luke was finally dead afterwards. And obviously Luke for some reason thinks it wipes his slate clean and he is entitled to peace and purpose now.

The movie tried to make it more epic via the tacked-on slave kids scene that pretended it was something legandary he did. Would have worked better for me if I didn`t see it. I`m not into the message that false legends and heroes are this great thing that has merit because something something inspiration. If there isn`t the genuine article at the center of it as the kernel of truth, I find it pretty empty.

12. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Sure. Luke would have agreed with you. Vader's room was not clean and yet Luke rooted for him. The same with Rey and Kylo.

13. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    There's a difference here. Luke didn't root for him. He condemned him before confronting the Emperor when Vader kept pushing his offer to walk away from further bloodshed. Luke realized he had zero power to impact what Vader had already done, but there was still a chance that Vader could find it in himself to do right. He showed such a possibility in not simply destroying Luke outright after cornering him on Bespin. And Luke was a huge threat, not only to Palpatine, but Vader himself should he somehow ascend to his Master's place. It would put him in direct conflict with the Jedi in his son and neither would be able to rest as long as the other was around.

Furthermore, we know from multiple sources that Anakin was a good man prior to his fall. That he was tricked, seduced and betrayed into evil. The exacts of which came later, but still the seeds were there. Ben is not given any such graces here. He's frequently described as Vader-esque, even by his own father and even Luke admits to frequent dark surges in the boy during his training, but no mentions of him having other merits, just a strong impulse towards malice, not fear, which would at least be something that could be relatable, but hate. And for no known reason. He grew up in a position of incredible privilege, with a family who loved him and powerful Force Sensitivity, in addition to being connected to the best possible teacher for him to realize his potential. And he chose to burn everything to the ground just out of sheer spite and hate. Anakin's fall came from a place of love and a desire to do good. Kylo has nothing clean on his slate that gives the audience or the characters in the movie any reason to ask for his redemption, other than this being Star Wars and it's an expected plot point that has to be touched on for 'classic' feel

14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I guess this is fairly subjective, and it's probably not aided by the fact that TLJ chose to not spend any time emphasising how the loss of his students that affected Luke, but for me I can extrapolate that if someone lost six students in such a way (and they partly blamed themselves) that it could break them and send them into a lifelong depression.

For me this depends upon whether or not Luke initially attempted proactive action which proved fruitless. It important to remember that Kylo isn't running around the New Republic causing havoc - he's disappeared. In this way I don't think he can be regarded as any more negligent than Obi-Wan and Yoda. Basically their decision was to not take any action against the Empire until they could train one of Anakin's children to confront him upon their behalf. They forwent other options - like training other force sensitives or ganging up on Vader together - for this long game option. All of this while the Empire is in active control over the galaxy, not off hidden.

A small thing which could have helped is emphasising that Luke saw a new light rising, that wasn't him, confronting Kylo, and that he put faith in this (or that by removing himself it 'caused' Rey's awakening).

I think that this depends greatly upon how much you think Luke transgressed, how his final action compared and whether you consider that he'll still be actively helping Rey as a Force Ghost. I really don't think that it matters to what extent the Resistance is able to continue the fight compared to the Rebellion (we have yet to see to what extent there are still allies out there for the Resistance to rally). To me the wrong way to look at it is the number of people saved by the action. Is a solider who gives his life to save his squad 'better' than someone who gives his life to save his entire army. Although one may have a greater temporal impact (you have to consider however that saving a squad could have a disproportionate impact depending upon the future actions of that squad) the act of giving ones life is equal in both instances in heroism.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Even as a kid, watching the ended of ROTJ, it seemed obvious to me that Luke would rebuild the Jedi and do it better this time. Because he realized where his predecessors had failed and won where they'd lost. I mean this:

Is about as conclusive as you can get (Anakin, you can now RIP). So when TFA came out there was an obvious "WTF?" quality in it to me. But I defended it because it was at least entertaining, I liked the new cast, and there was potential moving forward and I assumed that Disney/LF MUST have some master plan for all of this.

Oh how naïve and foolish I was sadly.

16. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    As I said in my overall film review, I don't have a problem with Luke's lapse and "redemption" with the help of Yoda. He's a human being, not a god. It gave him a way to develop rather than remain a static character in the film.

However, I don't like that his arc ended so soon after his epiphany. Yes, he reunited with Leia, and he did face the First Order, but he died when there was more potential to explore with his involvement.

I could say the same about Han but one OT big three death did provide an appropriate tragedy to tug at the heartstrings. Han died a tragic hero believing in Ben's inner goodness.

At least there was Luke and Leia to continue, keeping the presences of characters that we know well and love.

Not anymore.

Iron_lord and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Y’all do know the Ewoks captured Luke, right?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Technically, they captured Chewie, who Luke was unable to warn fast enough.:)

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    True, but Luke also had trouble dealing with low level grunts on speeder bikes as well.

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think in the novel and in the film, he only expressed some displeasure in Snoke's order in the second firing to wipe out the Resistance Base on D'Qar where his mom was. Which was also carried over in TLJ, when he could not bring himself to fire on the capital ship containing his mother.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This could have been an amazing story. For me, watching the ST sometimes feels surreal because you can see the ghosts of a trilogy that could have happened. Seeing Hamill come within inches of that fascinating character but never get there is both aggravating and infatuating.

Perfectly stated, and I would say it a ruder way: TLJ has a bad script. The way the flash-backs play out is inorganic and conceptually disconnected from the earlier Luke/Rey scenes where he was supposed to set up the moral dilemma which frightens him into depression. The New Luke is never actually introduced to us, he just hovers around Rey and occasionally hints at who he might be. He never feels like a real character imo, and Johnson's astro-turfed humor doesn't support the process. There was no need to conceal who Luke *really* is until the end of act 2, and it would have been more interesting to get to know him earlier so that Rey (the only person he really speaks to for some reason?) could have meaningful drama, not chronic confusion.

22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Just watched TLJ again a few days ago, I really can't understate how much I love Mark's performance. Whether you love or hate TLJ, you have to tip your hat to the job that Mark did.

Lukers, DarthBane93, Jedi Ben and 6 others like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, Mark was really great.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Last Jedi may be Mark Hamill's best performance in the role and he's fantastic in the OT playing the character the right tone for each movie. If anything, Johnston probably broke Luke down so he could get dramatic bits out of Hamill. If everything from Luke was hunky dory there wouldn't be as many scenes where we get to watch him.

Personally, I totally view The Last Jedi as a Bonus Luke Skywalker movie we got snuck into the ST so technically Luke now has 4 movies about him, outpacing any of the Star Wars saga main protagonists. (Quibble debate if Han has 5 movies about him but I think he's supporting enough in some of those for Luke to still come out on top)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Maybe it's because "Broken Luke" does not have any T's or I's, therefore RJ said "well we don't need to cross every T and dot every I"?

Now if he had gone for Defective Luke or Split Luke, it would have been better. :p

Or you know, as I am sure we have mentioned many times in this thread. Luke did not have to be broken. At all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.