main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark vs Luke, Carrie vs Leia, Harrison vs Han : OT vs ST main problem ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BaronNoir, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Rocks are going to be thrown at me, but I will say it at once. I loved SW EU Literature. I bought nearly all books, and while I wake up often at night with cold sweat thinking about Karen Traviss, I have rather good memories of them.

However, while I was presumably in the minority, I always found that one thing clearly missed from those books, and it was a genuine passing of the guard, a transition. Abandoning the movie cast was done with extreme reluctance, to the point that the big three (well into their fifties and sixties) kept doing stuff after most of their ''replacement'' kicked the can. Remember, we were at the end of the EU down to the grankids of Han and Leia.

That passing of the guard is something the movies are doing proactively to say the least. It's a legitimate concern to say that two of the characters bit the dust in a rather subdued manner (if heroic) and the third will be a nightmare to give a dignified dead in IX.

But a much as I hate bringing bad news, we are not living in a Galaxy far far away. We are living in a place far far close. There was real world issues, fundamental ones, that dealt a bad set of cards to Abrams and Johnson. The insistance of having the real life actors to take back their real roles.

Please note that this is not to disparage Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil or Carrie Fisher-but did it occurred to fans that the flesh and blood actors would have struggled mightily to do the acrobatics that their characters did well into retirement age in the book ? Christopher Lee, a fantastic thespian, looked great when he was coldly giving orders as Saruman or Darth Tyrannus, but ridiculous while fighting Gandalf or Yoda...

2. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I am not really sure where you are getting at.

The transition of the OT characters to the ST has very little to do with the OT actors if any at all. This was LF and JJ that set this up to begin with. My guess was that the only plans they had was to make sure that each of the OT 3 went out one by one in each movie. Is that due to the actors being older? Sure. But they really could have kept two of the OT characters alive by the time the saga ended if they really wanted to.

And as far as the fight scenes go, despite the problems I had with AoTC visually from a CGI perspective, I actually had no problems with Dooku when he battled. It looked believable enough to me. The technology is so much better that they could have done the same with Luke (they kind of did at the end of TLJ) for a full saber battle.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I feel like I'm reading a thread from right after the Disney announcement in 2012. I'm also not sure what the actual point you're trying to make here is. Locking.

TCF-1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.