main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Marking out swear words

Discussion in 'Communications' started by lumberjedi, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    No JCC = :_| :(

Anyway...

No one's saying that "WTF" or any swear words in and of themselves are inherently evil or anything - they're just saying you can't use them here. It's not a personal thing. It's just a rule. You can either go on your merry way and post according to the rules, or you can sit here and repeatedly question something that isn't going to change.

I fully agree with that. Sums up my thoughts exactly. :)

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    How the censored did this censored thread get to 7 censored pages? Is the censored issue really that censored importantcensored!!

3. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    asking it as a question not using it badly why arent we alloud to use WTF any more?

4. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    It pretty much boils down to "because Joshua Griffen said so".

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    It pretty much boils down to "because Joshua Griffen said so".

Is that a bad thing?

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    However selfish this may sound, he made the site for us. He owns it, but one must wonder why he owns it if his sole purpose for this site is not to give us what we want from the site.

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    What exactly are we not getting? The ability to swear? That's the least of my worries.

8. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Believe it or not, I know where you guys (farraday, SOK) are coming from.

What I am trying to say however, is what Hawk said in the first part of his post. Josh and the others work hard to give us this site, and the forums. They don't have to do any of it, but they do. If they have a certain rule, even if it's one that some of us don't understand, we should do our best to respect that rule, and be understanding.

9. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    They created the forums, we made them what they are.

A 242 board forum would look pretty ridiculous with no members... ya dig?

10. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    To go slightly offtopic for *just* a second here, youngjedi, have you ever talked with Xie or obhave? ?[face_plain] Maybe Red_Oktobur? ?[face_plain] I only ask because I think you might find strong rolemodels and colleagues among them...Xie even has an animated gif you could borrow! :)

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Ahem...yes. My point was actually that if we're not getting what we want from this site, then we shouldn't be here. Now, leaving over not being able to say "WT*" is stupid, to say the least, but in principle this is an issue that a large number of people disagree with (and frankly I don't see the point in disallowing it), and despite the fact that Josh owns the site it doesn't necessarily mean he knows exactly what is best for the users. I mean, if you're young enough that you need to be protected from naughty words, then "WT*" would most likely have no meaning to you whatsoever because it's just a random acronym, right?

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This is my personal feeling only. Look, I cuss and have done so for a long time. It doesn't offend me in the least. Hell, I've worked in manufacturing my whole life. I almost don't even notice it. But as the biggest Star Wars site I agree with Josh's decision to restrict those words from use here and I'll tell you why.

For the most part, it's harmless. But what it says about the site as a whole is alot. To me it only serves to detract and lumps us in the larger group of message boards who don't hold as high standards. I think Josh's willingness to hold true to restricting these words is one of many components that have made this site a standout.

It raises the bar and shows we have some class. It says we can say what we want without having to be crass to do so. And I think ultimately this is just another contributing factor as to why TF.N gets better scoops, more membership, and more respect. Trust me, if you want to cuss and gripe all day about TF.N, those messageboards are only a click away. But I'll choose to stay here.

13. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    "But what it says about the site as a whole is alot."

Have you seen what SW fandom in general thinks of TFN? There's not alot of positive opinions out there, so whatever it's saying, I don't think it's good.

14. Thraxwhirl

Thraxwhirl Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    You can't delete teh YJCC!

I know nothing about Star Wars! I'd have no one to talk to if you did that!

:eek:

j/k.

Maybe.

15. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Hey guys, don't expect this rule to change. Swearing isn't something we will be allowing here, period.

Josh

16. dormir

dormir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2001
    No kidding. No one NEEDS to swear, it's just outright offensive. I wholeheartedly agree with no swearing on the JC

17. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    "Hey guys, don't expect this rule to change. Swearing isn't something we will be allowing here, period."

acronyms are not swearing

We're not asking to swear. We're asking to use the letter "f" when it's not followed by the letters "u", "c", and "k".

18. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I don't understand how you can say "wtf" isn't swearing. People don't actually read the letters when they look at it, they say what it stands for. It is the exact same thing as spelling out the whole phrase.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    //raises hand

I literally did what YJ11 just described without realizing it... :)

20. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I don't care, and you don't need to mock. I'm saying that the point is, it's not just an acronym. People don't see it that way. It's swearing, just like anything else. As dp4m just showed us, people do read it spelled out, not in acronym form.

21. Ric Olie's Hairdresser

Ric Olie's Hairdresser Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Can I say gits and shiggles?

22. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    It depends on what a shiggle is.

23. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    YAAKA?

You almost ate krispy...
    You aren't any kind...
    You are a kid already...
    You are a kissing aardvark...
    You are a kiss...
    Oh, now I get it! :D

Can we ban Monstera for using the letter 'a' please? I think its the only fair thing to do, given the circumstances :cool:

//is reminded of a thread from the days of Yore started by Jjanda_Solo

24. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
  25. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Now, why should a nonsense acronym bother me? That has aboslutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. "wtf" actually means something, which is why it's being discussed. It's not nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.