main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Marvel’s Avengers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Aug 15, 2020.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They pretty much have to, right? They lost money on it and I assume whatever licensing deal they struck forces them to keep it running for X amount of time.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Lost a ton of money on it, I imagine - and with no Marvel movies coming soon, it's going to be very hard to claw back into relevance. That's one thing that helped Battlefront II, there was (for better or worse) new Star Wars content coming out regularly, as they tried to rehabilitate (which they did fairly well, I think).

Their problems are entirely different, though - Battlefront had a lack of content, which is fixable if you have resources like EA/DICE. This game is just boring as hell after a few hours, which has been the kiss of death for the growing pile of failed LS games like Anthem.

Expect them to go F2P like Destiny II pretty soon and try to recreate that "success." It's going to take a lot.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heard the idea that the MCU films might have worked against the game, due to image perception, ie. The characters are not the film versions.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The problem is there are no villains. It's really that simple.

Stupidly, there is no HYDRA. There are no Ultron drones. Heck, they couldn't be bothered to add Loki despite the hints.

All you get is MODOK, Abomination, and Taskmaster I believe. The rest are just a bunch of generic beat em up goons. So while story is compelling, the side missions are a complete slog.

The story focuses on the rise of Inhumans and yet there is NOTHING on them. No bad inhumans to take down (only some generic civilians to rescue). No development of existing inhumans like the Royal Family.

It's just totally bland.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Mia Mesharad and heels1785 like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh surely it couldn't have been-

Oh. Oh dear.

Honestly it's not even that it's not the film versions, it's that they didn't even really try to do something visually distinct so it just looks like an old mid-aughts B-tier movie tie-in game that couldn't secure likeness rights. Like that weird Michael Corleone in the old Godfather game. ... Except it didn't have a B-tier budget.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    The art direction is so bland. Even if the game was good I wouldn’t have played it just for that.

Look at another superhero game which came out recently: Spider-Man. While it looks realistic, it’s still vibrant. They even throw in some comic and cartoon suits for fun—even when they don’t “fit” in the real world. The alternate skins for this game are either just palette swaps or they’re in street clothes. Kamala has the most interesting stuff, and they’re all graphic tees and scarves.

it’s like they’re afraid of being compared to a comic book, for some reason.

Ramza, Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Let's face it, Spider-Man 2018 without any PS5 enhancements looks better than Avengers

Adam of Nuchtern and Yodaminch like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Seriously, was anyone here begging for variations of Captain America in medical apparel? Not to mention the number of t-shirts for Ms. Marvel. At least suits for Tony make sense. But the biggest stupid move was locking it all away behind paid content.

9. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Stupid greedy, yeah.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm intending to pick this up for Marvel nerd completist sake but probably when it hits like 20 bucks Canadian or they make it free to play.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

all support ending in september 2023. made it a few years, but greed poisoned this project from the start. hopefully whoever tries a big marvel game next learns from square's failure.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In all this excitement I plain forgot if this is the fifth or sixth live service SE has axed, so SE Game, you have to ask yourself one question - do you feel lucky?

13. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Man this is going to really upset the fan.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So even after that date it can still use the single player campaign? May still try it eventually!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well it'll be online but not supported. Which means it still may not work because all of the campaign requires internet connectivity.

I would recommend playing the campaign including the three free expansions before September... I liked just that part of the game.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Under 10 dollars now so about as cheap as it'll get. it's going to be delisted in September but apparently it will still work so I'll give it a shot and buy for 10 bucks (although I doubt I'll play it before September)

When will support for Marvel’s Avengers end?
    Support will discontinue on September 30, 2023.

Will I still be able to play the game solo?
    Yes. All content that is available for solo play will continue to be available after September 30, 2023.

Will I still be able to play with my friends?
    Yes. Multiplayer will still be accessible after support discontinues on September 30, 2023. Multiplayer will continue to require Xbox Live Gold on Xbox platforms and PS Plus on PlayStation platforms.

Will single- and multi-player play be available forever?
    The changes we are making to how the game functions will ensure as long a life as possible. However, after September 30, 2023 we can’t guarantee that we will be able to address issues that occur due to unforeseen circumstances.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Probably similar to SW BF2. No more support for a couple of years now, but at least you can still go on Multiplayer (though the wait times will likely be increased with fewer people playing).

Happy Sando likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    FYI I think the story content alone is worth the $10.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I believe the game is among those on the PS Plus catalog, or at least it was. I have it in my library but just haven't downloaded it yet.