main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd love to be wrong about this, that we'll get some carefully developed lead-in material that both explores the consequences of ep 8 and prepares the way for ep 9 without giving away anything substantive about it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree. Time for the story group to prove themselves in this field as well. The Clone Wars multimedia project (2002-2005) was largely perfect in its execution and how it connected Episodes II and III while having only minor continuity errors, an all that without a story group. If they could do it then, they can do it now too.

3. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Yeah; before they decided to totally redo the Clone Wars later, the extent of continuity there was pretty remarkable, even down to stuff like seeing the Outer Rim Sieges a few months in advance, Anakin getting his scar etc. That said, I do feel like it was easier then because they knew the time jump pretty early on and AOTC pretty clearly set up what would directly follow it. So they could really do whatever they want as long as they didn't kill anyone and stayed out of the last few months of the war.

In this case though, it might give away a lot more about where we are at the start of IX than they necessarily want right now, especially as regards Kylo's mental state, whether the Resistance gets wider support, LEIA above all.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just don't feature him, lots of other FO grunts and officers can be created.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    The key things that were the focus in the comics, which were a large part of the multimedia project, were the characters of Quinlan Vos, Tholme, Aayla and Ventress (not that big of a character at the time). In other words, original characters. The focus on the movie protagonists (Anakin & Obi-Wan) was much smaller in comparison. So, they can potentially tell stories with original characters set in the ST era. Resistance, FO or maybe ordinary citizens of the galaxy. Its not like the stories must be focused on Rey, Finn or Kylo, as much as we may want that now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    So my friend told me E-Wings are now canon again because you can see one in a new issue of Poe Dameron?

Awesome if true but I want to see them in action.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @AdmiralNick22... for the latest solicitations a couple of pages back. You might want to look at the Mon Cala ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdmiralNick22 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The liberation of Mon Cala! :eek:

--Adm. Nick

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You see, what one taketh.... The other giveth....

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You'd think this would lead to Vader showing up in the main comic again at some point. If he oppressed Mon Cala I sure as hell doubt he'll just let it's liberation happen on his watch.

iPodwithnomusic and Darth_Voider like this.
  11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm estatic that Poe is officially continuing past #25. My favourite comic lives! And what a continuation, going into the TFA proper.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    redxavier and vncredleader like this.
  13. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I normally have a difficult time getting into most comedians humor but that Ronny Chieng guy was pretty funny.

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I found him to be rather insufferable after a while (his opinions probably have a lot to do with this, ie, "I love the EU but don't know anything about it"). Unfortunately, he dominates all the conversation and I'm trying to skip to hearing Heather talk.

15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Some very interesting comic news, Dark Horse is partnering with Disney for a Frozen miniseries. Particularly interesting is a line at the end of the article:
    This sounds like a great step towards more Dark Horse Star Wars comics!

revan772, starfish, WMIRTUTSF and 7 others like this.
  16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Holy ****.

I've said in the past that I doubted Disney would make inroads with Dark Horse considering how big of a competitor they are with Marvel Comics. But this is pretty much the same thing that happened with IDW and their Duck Tales series. If things go well with this collaboration, then I wouldn't be surprised if a Star Wars series from them was announced.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe. But probably just kid friendly material as that seems like that is the kind of stuff Marvel is lending out to be done under a different name.

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Even if that happens, is that a bad thing when the alternative is Dark Horse not touching Star Wars again?

Vthuil likes this.
  19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd love, love, love for Dark Horse to get another shot at Star Wars! I think there is definitely room for a split of the labour between Marvel, Dark Horse and IDW. Make it happen LFL/Disney [face_praying]

The attempt for a collaboration between Disney and Dark Horse is not that surprising to me, especially now. Disney has recently acquired Fox, which could very well mean that Dark Horse may lose the licenses for Avatar, Aliens and Predator. It has lost Star Wars to Disney already and recently Marvel (also owned by Disney) got the rights to publish Conan, another big title for Dark Horse. If Dark Horse can publish at least some Disney properties, that could mean that they'd keep the rights for Avatar, Aliens and Predator. Given their phenomenal work on Star Wars, I can only hope that they'll get a piece of that cake back.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Not at all.

21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    @spicer Get in here and tell us who you'd like to see on story and art! ( :p But seriously, I want to see that happen for you, it'd make my day.)
    Fake edit: D'aw, I'm too slow at posting. But still, yay!

Thanks for sharing this, iPod -- it's pretty cool to hear something from DH that we can hang some of our hopes on. :)

lordpixie, iPodwithnomusic and spicer like this.
  22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That Jordan D. White interview was interesting because, as he pointed out, Marvel does basically infinite stories in the "now" and the sliding scale of comics with the "illusion of change" and it's basically all 2nd act so it can't really have an end-point. I do like how Marvel is now skipping around the timeline, which is one of my favourite things about Star Wars. He does point out that they could pretty much entirely do post-Yavin stories forever like how they do Spider-Man in his 20s stories forever but the thing about Star Wars izzat there's story potential in other periods so they have to jump past it eventually.

Speaking of the timeline in Star Wars marching forward and Poe Dameron (finally) hitting Force Awakens, I had a thought that since we can assume the TFA Poe books will bleed into TLJ Poe books, I thought it could be funny if the (probably inevitable) Last Jedi comic adaptation hits just at the same time the Poe book hits the events of Last Jedi so we could end up with basically two Last Jedi adaptations on the shelves at the same time. I'd be okay with it!

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Collabs between comic companies are getting more and more frequent these days. A bit off topic but do yinz think we may finally see another DC/Marvel crossover before the decade is out?

25. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Don’t they hate each other?

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force