main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Like the Phil Noto covers

And love how colorful all the galaxy’s edge stuff is

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    tatooinesandworm likes this.
  2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Darth Vader tracking a mysterious crime syndicate... Crimson Dawn? [face_thinking] (Unhealthy obsession with SOLO getting it's story threads resolved intensifies[face_laugh])

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

"the other Star Wars thing"
    Ah Soule, ya tease. Just casually dropping that in our Easter baskets like it's nothing. :p And like we're not already puzzling over what's coming as part of Project Luminous. Would love another lore-heavy comic but I'll happily read any SW material by him in whatever format it comes in.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A project with Scott Snyder too? That'll be worth keeping an eye out for.

So far Soule has struck me as someone better at dealing with corporate properties than his own work.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So the solicit for Marvel 69 - sounds like they're adapting the ESB cut scene with the wampas in Echo Base?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Is "novel 3" also a Star Wars thing or something else he is doing?

7. Zodiac5

Zodiac5 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2019
    I would hope so but I don't think so, since I wouldn't define Crimson Dawn as a mysterious cartel. But anything is possible

Edit: Also is that Rio or another Ardennian on the cover of Target Vader ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [face_hypnotized]=D=[face_party][face_love]

10. Calathar44

Calathar44 Jedi Padawan

Nov 13, 2018
    Yes! That’s awesome! She returns!

cwustudent, spicer, kalzeth and 3 others like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, @spicer you're posting - clearly the news didn't hit you as hard as I expected!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

spicer, Senpezeco and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    My True Believers Marvel #107 just arrived from TFAW today. There is supposed to be a facsimile edition of Marvel #50 coming out the week before Issue #108 hits.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The love being given to the classic Marvel stuff recently is just fantastic. #107 last week, Ewoks #1 this week, and a reprint of #50 coming soon? Between this and the retro collection figures that are coming out, the nostalgia train is rolling and I'm on board [face_dancing]

Senpezeco and Sinrebirth like this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Greg Pak interview.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/star-wars-writer-greg-pak-tells-a-new-mandalorian-tale
    Marvel.com: Greg, basic question, but an oh-so important one: What’s your favorite of the ten Star Wars feature films and why?

Greg Pak: I was eight when A New Hope came out—although we just called it Star Wars back then—and eleven when The Empire Strikes Back hit. So as much as I love the new movies, and I love, love, love 'em, that first trilogy will probably always be my sentimental fave.

The Empire Strikes Back is probably at the top of my list, in part because of how mind blowing it was to see after waiting three years as a kid for the next chapter, and how shocked we were by the big choices and character moments throughout. It's such a classic now that it's a little hard to express how hugely risk-taking it felt at the time and how much it opened up and made possible that Star Wars mythology we almost take for granted now. And I just love so many of the acting beats in that second movie. All of Mark Hamill's moments with Yoda in those early scenes on Dagobah are just phenomenally good—so real and so endearing and so critical for making the fantastical scenario work on a human level.

Marvel.com: What were your first thoughts after being offered the AGE OF REBELLION event? How did you want to approach it?

Pak: Oh, I miiiight have been so thrilled that I literally jumped up and down. I've been hungry to write Star Wars comics ever since Marvel got the license, and my editor couldn't have hand-picked a better and more fun first project for me to dive into than this AGE OF REBELLION gig. I'm writing eight one-shots featuring classic heroes and villains from that original trilogy, so I'm right there in the sweet spot with the movies I loved the most when I was growing up.

It's a massively challenging gig in that writing eight one-shots is actually a lot harder than writing an eight-issue story. Each one-shot is just 20 pages, but that's eight separate stories that you need to figure out—eight little epics that need to encapsulate each character, fit into existing continuity in an intriguing way, and add some nugget of insight or development that contributes to this shared universe.

But these are characters that have been under my skin for four decades. And my editors Mark Paniccia and Tom Groneman and all the folks at Lucasfilm have been just incredible in supporting these stories and helping me nudge them in the right directions. And the art teams have been knocking the ball out of the park with each and every issue. It's really been a dream.

Marvel.com: We’ll get to your artists, but we really want to ask if writing Super Hero comics prepare a writer such as yourself for taking on Star Wars comics? What are the biggest differences?

Pak: In terms of comics craft, it's exactly the same process. We're just trying to figure out the best possible ways to dramatize great stories that matter about these amazing characters.

The biggest differences probably revolve around genre conventions. Jedi sometimes do some super hero-y kinds of things. But Star Wars characters don't generally move through the world physically like Super Heroes—they're not holding up mountains or smashing asteroids apart with their bare hands. So the visual and visceral thrills play out a little differently.

Marvel.com: Like you said, AGE OF REBELLION is a series of eight one-shots, but are they linked in any way such as thematically or by story threads?

Pak: There are some echoes here and there, but that's really just because the characters have histories with each other rather than through a conscious design to create links. I approached each one of these as its own story. My attitude was if I had one chance and one chance only to tell a story that epitomized this character, what story would I want to tell? Since they're all different characters with different key moments across the trilogy, the stories fall at different points on the timeline and explore different kinds of challenges and themes.

I would say that one big theme that's echoed throughout all my Star Wars work so far, including my work on the main series that starts with STAR WARS #68, is that thin line between rebels and rogues. I'll say no more for fear of spoilers.

Marvel.com: With Boba Fett’s origins finally revealed in Attack of the Clones, how do you maintain the mystique in his one-shot?

Pak: I approached STAR WARS: AGE OF REBELLION – BOBA FETT #1 story like a straight-up Western, with an almost entirely silent, anti-hero bounty hunter implacably pursuing his goals while other characters try to figure out his motivations. It's a kind of classic Man-with-No-Name feel, and the art by Marc Laming and colorist Neeraj Menon is just stunning in evoking that genre and vibe.

Marvel.com: Both Han Solo and Boba Fett have finite ends as seen in the films; do such demises at all figure into how you present them in your stories? Do you foreshadow them?

Pak: At one point, I thought of hinting at or even showing Boba Fett's end in the story, but with all of these one-shots, I think the best move has been to explore and celebrate them as the heroes or villains of their own stories, capable of sustaining dozens more tales like these. My job with these one-shots isn't to complete or finish these characters' stories—I think it's to show why we're so compelled by them and show how much more story there is in all of them.

Marvel.com: What was it like folding a newer concept like Canto Bight into STAR WARS: AGE OF REBELLION – JABBA THE HUTT #1?

Pak: It was pretty seamless, the equivalent of pulling in a bit of Peter David lore into a Hulk story that's mostly relied on Stan Lee and Bill Mantlo characters. It's all part of the shared universe and it's a blast finding bits from different parts of that universe that make sense in new stories.

Marvel.com: Gotta ask… Lando and Lobot: What’s your take on their relationship in STAR WARS: AGE OF REBELLION – LANDO CALRISSIAN #1?

Pak: I don't want to spoil too much, but we drew a lot on the great Charles Soule/Alex Maleev LANDO limited series in 2015 for that. I can say that the Lando-Lobot dynamic is a ton of fun to write. Always a kick to have a cocky risk-taker having to deal with a deadpan pragmatist. And the Soule/Maleev story gave us a bit more emotional context to give that fun vibe another level.

Marvel.com: Before we talk about your amazing artists, let’s look forward a bit to the Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader one-shots in June—what can readers expect?

Pak: These are probably the stories that take the biggest leaps in the series. I was honestly stunned and thrilled that we got the green light to do what we're doing in those books. We're digging deep into some the most fundamental motivations of these key characters in these canon stories, and I can't wait for y'all to see them.

Marvel.com: Wow! Okay, you’ve got Marc Laming on the villains one-shots and Chris Sprouse on the heroes. How does that set-up play to their strengths, in your opinion?

Pak: Oh, it's been stunning. Both Chris and Marc have a tremendous gift of being able to deliver amazing actor likenesses, which is key for these Star Wars books, while keeping every moment fresh and alive. And Chris's clean lines have been a perfect fit for the bold, brassy, fun vibe of the hero books while Marc's giving a grittier vibe to the villain books, which feels just right.

We're also getting to work with a number of amazing artists as well, including Will Sliney, Karl Story, Marc Deering, Stefano Landini, Scott Koblish, Emilio Laiso, Marco Turini, Roland Boschi, and every one of them is delivering stunning pages and panels.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Based on precedent, it'll be a 4-issue mini.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    This news makes my day! Fantastic!

kalzeth, spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Allegiance

Publisher: Marvel Comics
    Author: Ethan Sacks
    Artist: Luke Ross
    Format: Comic mini-series
    Description: On the run since the destruction of the Starkiller Base, General Leia and the remaining handful of Resistance have barely managed to survive, much less strike back against the superior forces of the First Order. Running low on options, Leia decides to reach out to her former allies, the Mon Calamari, whose shipyards once powered the Rebel Alliance.
    On-sale: #1: 10/9/2019; #2: 10/16/2019; #3: 10/23/2019; #4: 10/30/2019

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, interesting - Sacks has been primarily active on the various Old Man Logan tie-in series.

Nice to see Ross get a nice high-profile gig.

Has anyone tipped off @AdmiralNick22 about it being a Mon Calamari tale? I think where the new fleet is going to come from.

20. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    De Agostini are starting a Marvel 2015 Star wars partworks in the UK ! it will be great to get some of the stories marvel have not done yet in the OCH line in hardback at last !

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those are nice but expect the hardbacks to be standard size. The Hachette model is a bit strange and they're not cheap!

22. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah that's what i was thinking would have been great if i had not got most of them in OHC to begin with so the Question is do i double dip or not ? would be nice to have Obi and Ani plus Poe and Maul in hardcover !

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Missed that it's not Hachette, maybe this lot will be better.

24. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    fingers crossed and the first ones only £1.99 so not to bad worth it for that one just to check out see what they are like !

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Generally it'll go up to around £10-12 per volume. The hardbacks are still good value at that price and, once they go out of print, the value can go way up.

The problem is they tend to issue them out of order which in turn wrecks the spine image the volumes build up. Can't think why. Why would they do that? ;)

Last edited: May 7, 2019