main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder once Kenobi is done, and other event shows will they begin cover those era in books and comics.

2. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    2 New Epic collection's May 2022 Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: Tales Of The Jedi Vol. 2 - collects Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Golden Age of the Sith (1996) #0-5, Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Fall of the Sith Empire (1997) #1-5, Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi (1993) #1-5 and Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Freedon Nadd Uprising (1944) #1-2. July 2022 Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 7 - collects Star Wars: Blood Ties (2010) #1-4, Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett Is Dead (2012) #1-4, Star Wars: Empire (2002) #1-4, Star Wars Underworld: the Yavin Vassilika (200) #1, Free comicbook Day 2013, material from Star Wars Tales #1-2, 6 & 16. that's a lot of epic's for next year with the ones we already know.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I agree that 2023 is too early for a reboot, but I also thought 2020 was too early to reboot the mainline series too. I guess the point is I could see Marvel doing it, although I very much hope they don't.

It would be interesting to see what Marvel would do with a post-ROTJ main series as, canonically, the Big Three would mostly not be available for it. I could see them either time-jumping to post-TROS, or jumping back to 2 ABY to continue doing post-"Scourging of Shu-Torun" Luke / Leia / Han stories. I personally hope to see the latter, but we'll see.

Golbolco and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well there are a few things they can do

Stop making Big 3 related material and use new characters....The Comics have grown quite a cast since the initial run with Aphra and even secondary movie characters like Ochi!

Do what i want them to do and cover the TLJ to TROS 1 year period.

Or idk Post RoTJ new character comics

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In that respect, how did the Allegiance and Kylo mini series sell? As Marvel tend to have a high sales success indicator.

WotBH and Crimson Reign suggest a fair bit of interest in the Kylo series but the same might not be true for Allegiance?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  6. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I would personally like it if a post-ROTJ main series took on a structure more like the 1998 Dark Horse series before it turned into Republic. Have a rotating lead ensemble on adventures filling in the post-Jakku pre-Nevarro era, with arcs lasting 4-6 issues and the occasional one shot.

That way you can use the Big Three, new characters, other characters in Canon, etc. etc. without needing to have there be a major running storyline. One arc could be about Han’s nascent racing career, the next could be about Ochi and the Acolytes of the Beyond.

I don’t think we will see this take shape, at least not for a while. I think that it’s more likely we’ll see the main series shift to the pre-Episode I period.

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

To be fair though Kylo story was sold as THE ORIGIN OF KYLO REN ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTERS IN THE MOVIE

While Allegiance was just....."Eh Resistance getting more forces" ...not the most interesting story IMHO.

Granted I do wonder how much of the Post ROTJ is open still considering we have Mandoverse going on.

Always a option here for a post ROTJ timeline.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2021
  8. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    If and when they finally run out of things for Vader to do between movies and shows, a Kylo Ren ongoing pre-TFA or between TFA and TLJ is always an option.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Between TFA and TLJ? I don't think even Marvel can slam a series into that tiny gap.

Golbolco likes this.
  10. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Oops, I meant TLJ and TROS. Maybe Kylo gets caught in some time dilation bubble, though.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, could work but it'll require some stellar writing to make Kylo interesting.

Golbolco likes this.
  12. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Well, you're in luck, as stellar writing happens to be Charles Soule's speciality. (Honestly, if there were justice in the universe Soule would be writing an ongoing Lando series - but then again, he kind of already is, as the current mainline series is giving him some excellent material.)

Don't underestimate the likelihood of the mainline series dropping back into pre-ESB territory once the run-up to ROTJ is complete. Post-ROTJ offers opportunities for an anthology format with one-off "let's get the gang back together"-type Big Three stories, but if Marvel has an appetite for ongoing Luke / Leia / Han material, going back to the OT era is pretty much the only way to do that - and there happens to be a wide open year and a half or so already reserved for it in the timeline.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Soule I find to be a very hot and cold writer with no middle ground. There's LotJ Soule and then there is Vader #25 Soule. I much prefer LotJ Soule.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Both Soules work nicely for me. I've rarely hit a comic of his that wasn't a winner, including the current SW series (which is, no surprise, putting out some very good stuff right now, especially for Lando fans).

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Did you ever look at Letter 44?

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Nope - Soule, I presume? Not too familiar with his work outside of Star Wars but he's earned a sufficient level of trust with me that I'd be happy to read it.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Indeed. It was published by Oni Press, first as 6 paperbacks, then 3 OHCs.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  18. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    My unrealistic wish for the next main ongoing: Post-TROS (Rey restarting the Jedi Order, rebuilding the galaxy, new powers rising etc) OR a non-movie time period (eg Old Republic or a TotJ-esque era)

My slightly more realistic wish: Between TLJ and TROS (Rey's training, Kylo's reign as Supreme Leader etc) OR post-Bloodline, pre-TFA (the Resistance coming together under Leia, First Order rising, New Republic falling apart, Snoke/Kylo etc)

What I expect: something focused on the OT cast/the characters that have been introduced in the comics like Aphra, probably in the years between ROTJ and Mando OR a prequel-era story, which I imagine would either be in the years leading up to TPM (focus on Qui-Gon, young Obi-Wan, the Jedi Council, Satine etc) or between TPM and AOTC (Obi-Wan training Anakin). I'm not sure that they'd do a Clone Wars series given how many stories have already been told in that period thanks to The Clone Wars, but it's possible.

Golbolco likes this.
  19. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm leaning more in the direction they will wrap up the post-ESB pre-ROTJ timeline next year and follow the pattern they established with rolling into the post-ESB era for the 40th anniversary of ESB. Maybe they let things roll up until the actual anniversary date (ie May 2023) of ROTJ. Then I can see them start to explore the era between ROTJ and Mando. There's 4-5 years there, and while the novels have covered some of that space, I think there's room for some Big 3 action.

Golbolco likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    honestly the post-ESB period should run for at least 3 years publishing wise as it did in Marvel Volume 1 in Legends. I keep thinking whatever book Star Wars becomes after that I think we'll get some early post ROTJ stuff, maybe around the Mandalorian timeline. Cuz theoretically they shouldn't even think about doing post ESB until 2023 and by then the Mandalorian timeline would allow for some "what were Luke, Leia, Han and Lando" doing stories.

And I think the TLJ to TFA period is also a good spot if they want to focus the book on the ST era, it's basically the fertile story period like Clone Wars for PT and post Yavin for OT. I like post ESB stuff but they seem to be cramming a lot in there, which I don't mind. But post Yavin can be an ongoing for, like, a decade. Not as much Lando in there, though, unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand and Golbolco like this.
  21. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Have there ever not been Vader and "big three" ongoings since Marvel started up again? There are plenty of interesting things they could do, but I don't know how far they'd want to stray from what's worked for them so far.

Golbolco likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader is on vol 3 with a different creative team, they seem to take about a year-ish break in between issues that runs end at 25. I would think that this would be the same for this volume. Which I don't mind if they do or don't.

Vialco and Golbolco like this.
  23. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    Getting pretty close to collecting all the Dark Horse era books, there should be enough material for another Rebellion volume also more then enough for a New Republic volume or two and of course the rest of the Tales of the Jedi series & Original Marvel years. I’m wondering if there is going to be another Empire volume beyond volume 7 & the Menace revealed beyond volume 3 because there are some issues of Republic & Empire left.

24. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Im hoping we get an epic of the UK Clone Wars comics and SW/CW Adventures collection.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021