main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Empire Ascendant was mostly an epilogue for the then-recently-completed mainline and Doctor Aphra series, leading into the post-ESB runs. I don't get the sense here that any of the series this touches will be ending in November, especially with Hidden Empire kicking off the same month. I'm guessing the goal here is to "prime the pump" for HE, drop some oh-so-mysterious hints as to the post-HE status quo, etc.

Now, while I don't think any of the post-ESB series are ending in November... March 2023, when Hidden Empire ends, might be a very different story. With HE already advertised as connecting to ROTJ, it does make one wonder if the endgame is to draw all the ongoing titles to a close around then in preparation to launch some post-ROTJ titles. Either way, interesting times ahead!

2. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Even with the coronavirus potentially disrupting their original plans, I can't imagine Marvel not moving their series post-ROTJ for the anniversary year.

3. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Aphra and Bounty Hunters could make the transition to post-ROTJ easily enough. Vader certainly won't :p The mainline series will be the biggest challenge, as we know what the Big Three are up to in that timeframe and continuing to center the ongoing series around them would be choppy waters at best. It'll be interesting to see how Marvel navigates that, assuming they are indeed planning to jump into post-ROTJ times.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No Vader? Spoilers dude, spoilers.
    [face_devil]

The Positive Fan and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Bounty Hunters seems a sure shot for post-ROTJ, based on recent comics.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if the bulk of the line doesn’t go there, though. I think it’s just as possible that they move to the same timeframe as the Han and Chewie comic. Vader has plenty of runs left in him in that time period—pre or post-Kenobi, post-Rebels season 2, etc. The main Star Wars line could follow Leia and the droids, between the Claudia Grey book and the Rebels episode where she appears. You lose out on Luke and the supporting cast, but gain an opportunity to flesh out Leia’s role in the early Rebellion and can give her new supporting cast, like Captain Antilles.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You can totally do a post ROTJ Vader series, just Anakin Force-ghost-ing to various people and apologizing profusely while they chew him out for 22 pages. Can get 12 issues out of that easily.

7. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    So I'm not super familiar with the Dark Horse era comics, but what else is still lacking an Epic Collection? From what I do know I think it's the Shadows of the Empire miniseries and the NJO era comics. Anything else?

8. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    There's also quite a few Tales comics, DH's adaptations of ANH and AOTC, Boba Fett, Jedi Academy, Union, and the last few issues of Empire, along with a few other things.

There's also The Clone Wars series and digests, Clone Wars and Star Wars Adventures digests, and Star Comics Ewoks and Droids, which I don't think will be included in this line.

lordpixie and Golbolco like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I love how most, though not all, epic collections and Omnibi contain bonus material that was not in the original runs or collections. Is there a list though which contain bonus and which do not, or which contain what bonus? (some bonus can be viewed on amazons look inside feature but not all or for all!)

Most use clean cover arts in the back of variant covers. But some had true treasures like concept sketches, black and white art pages, interviews or even technical schematics.

While it pains me to buy the stuff I already own again... Legends was just so great to justify it and the bonus pages are worth it usually. Soon I'll own all singles, tpbs, collections, omnibi and more... if going for all variants too I'll probably go insane.

10. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I like this idea. An ongoing series following post-Princess of Alderaan Leia as she walks the line between her Senate duties and her Rebellion activities, with supporting characters like the droids, Colton, Antilles, Mon Mothma, Bail and Breha, etc. Occasional appearances by members of the Ghost crew, Cassian Andor, add Lord Tion as a nod to the radio drama... heck, you could even throw Vader and Tarkin in as occasional antagonists, as ANH makes clear Leia has had prior dealings with both of them. That would be almost mind-blowingly cool.

11. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I think it's the best move short of jumping the main title to the prequel or sequel eras. The other possibility is to set the main title post-Aftermath, pre-The Mandalorian since that's mostly blank for the Big Three, but I see that possibility as more esoteric, even if we potentially get Jedi Leia.

Aphra could also work pre-Vader, though again I think you lose a lot of her supporting cast. Maybe you could just do a series showing how she crossed just about every cast member of her comic that we see later on...

Bounty Hunters will probably go post-Endor. Is it an issue that four of the five titles would be set pre-Rebellion, while one of them is set post-Endor during the 40th anniversary of ROTJ?

12. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Three omnibus just announced on Near Mint Condition youtube channel.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 2 - collecting Star Wars: Doctor Aphra (2020) #1-25.

Star Wars Legends: The Empire Vol. 2 - collecting Star Wars: Dark Times – Fire Carrier (2013) #1–5, Star Wars: Dark Times – A Spark Remains (2013) #1–5, Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin (2013) #1–5, Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows (2013) #1–5, Star Wars: Droids (1994) #1–6 & Special (1995) #1, Star Wars: Droids (1995) #1–8, Star Wars: The Protocol Offensive (1997) #1, material from Star Wars: Visionaries (2005) OGN, Star Wars Tales (1999) #11–12, 15 & 20, Dark Horse Presents Annual '99 and Star Wars Galaxy Magazine (1994) #1.

Star Wars Legends: The New Republic Vol. 2 - collecting Star Wars: The Jabba Tape (1998) #1, Star Wars: Heir to the Empire (1995) #1–6, Star Wars: Dark Force Rising (1997) #1–6, Star Wars: The Last Command (1997) #1–6, Star Wars: Dark Empire (1991) #1-6, Star Wars: Dark Empire II (1994) #1-6, Star Wars: Empire's End (1995) #1-2, Star Wars: Boba Fett – Twin Engines of Destruction (1997) #1, Star Wars: Boba Fett – Bounty on Bar-Kooda (1995) #1, Star Wars: Boba Fett – When the Fat Lady Swings (1996) #1, Star Wars: Boba Fett – Murder Most Foul (1997) #1, Star Wars: Boba Fett – Agent Of Doom (2000) #1, Star Wars Handbook (1998) #3; material from Star Wars Tales (1999) #1, 3-5, 10, 14, 20 & 2.

Very surprised to see Doctor Aphra volume 2 already. Marvel has shown off the cover for 26 already so the series probably isn't ending at 25. Does this mean this series will be long enough to make an omnibus volume 3?

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No guarantees of that.

But Aphra 2 is a better buy than WotBH Omnibus as it's a focused piece of work. Hopefully, they do Gillen SW omni then ones for Star Wars vol 2 and Vader vol whatever, plus Bounty Hunters, with the WotBH mini in the SW one.

Not interested in the Legends duo as they are a grab bag of material.

Edit - also very irritating that Marvel have split the Dark Times run over two Omnis. Had forgotten there was a volume 6-7.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  14. RogueWhistler

Aug 9, 2021
    Yeah, those Legends Omnibi are a mess. NR vol. 2 mostly covers 9-11 ABY material, some of which hasn't been in an Epic Collection yet, but also some just-after-ROTJ stories that would have made more sense in the last one.

I guess the idea is to eventually collect everything in this format as well, but I wish they'd leave that to the Epics and use the Omnibi for uninterrupted runs of DH's longer series.

lordpixie and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Instead of another Vader series, have it about young Anakin. Either starting after TPM, showing his first mission with Obiwan, etc…..or beginning 3 years later after the Obiwan and Anakin mini. I still want to know the identity of the mysterious sith from the holorecording on Carnelion IV…..

Or give Vaders slot to a pre TPM series that deals with the Mando Civil War and Obiwan and Qui go Jinn protecting Satine. The war lasted a year. Could begin to the events leading up to the war and the aftermath.

Then have the main series be between RoTJ and Mando season 1.

Golbolco likes this.
  16. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I suspect that, though unfortunate that we haven’t been able to explore it yet, this story is Filoni’s territory and is off limits to publishing; actually, I’m surprised that an arc from Tales of the Jedi wasn’t dedicated to this plot.

17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Maybe Vader’s slot could go to another Sith Lord. Post-Order 66 Maul series, anyone?

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Maul might be off limits post order 66 if him or Dryden Vos appears in Bad Batch series or other shows in the era. I think 1 year civil war might be saved for its own animated show. Its Filoni territory. Post ROTJ will be totally different as you dont have the 3 OT together.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  19. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I think a post-Solo Maul series is viable as well, because you can tie in Qi’ra and therefore build on the current comic run.

Sinrebirth and SyndicThrass like this.
  20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    It will be interesting to see what they do. If they don't end one of their series by the end of the year they will have seven ongoings and one or two minis going on all at once. That would be far more than they have ever done before at any one time. If people feel like it is a lot to keep up with now there will be almost twice as much to keep up with in 2023.

Star Wars comic sales are extremely steady but would they want to get to the point to where they start releasing so much that they start eating away at one anothers sales? Doing series about characters from film and tv would still be fine but if they start releasing too much I have a feeling it might hurt series where the main character isn't someone from film or tv (like we are getting now in Aphra and the Bounty Hunters). Sure Aphra has been around long enough by this point to where she would continue to be fine but if they ever wanted to do a spinoff series again it might be a bit more of a risk if we are getting almost ten series going on at any one time.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's alreadt happening on the trades and Omnis. Marvel just announced three SW ones, two are due for May. You want both? These will be RRP $125 books!

The idea that Marvel are going to overload on buyer's funds is very plausible to me. Enough people will buy regardless as Marvel are going heavy on Omnis but the rest of us? May well go "nope" .

Especially with all the other monthly bills rising.

22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I guess from a business standpoint as long as they feel they are able to break even it is all good. From what I have heard it usually takes about 20k in sales in order to cover the costs of printing. THe latest month that has sales readily available the Aphra series sold around 38k and it is usually the ongoing Star Wars series that sells the least. So they probably feel comfortable that they can increase the output a bit more while still being able to break even with everything that will have more than just a single trade.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Plus the cynical factor that enough people will keep buying no matter what.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Another idea for a prequel era comic series, after Vaders run is over is…..more clone wars.

Yes we have had already a lot of stories in that 3 year period, but there are also plenty of Jedi not named Ashoka/Obiwan/Anakin whom didn’t appear much, little, or none at all.

Picture an anthology series about various Jedi whom aren’t those big 3.

Like that mace windu mini.

Also the Republic Commandos in canon have been criminally underused. I want to see more of them outside of bad batch, where a good chunk of them are Imperial commandos. Think Star Wars: Delta Squad

Either idea for a comic series can be set soon after Geonosis, early days of the clone wars. With flashbacks to the TPM-AoTC gap.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  25. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    They’ve teased Dash Rendar a bit, maybe these crazy buggers are going to pull the trigger and give him a series.