main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Maybe. But the weird thing is is that the new canon is actually expanding the timeline more than legends did. We already have more story material set prior to the movies than legends did. Take the Old Republic MMO and the Knights of the old Republic game out of the equation and there really was very little story the actual books and comics told prior to the movie time period.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    vong333 likes this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    How old were you when you read Tales of the Jedi, Dark Empire, etc? How old are you now? You're experiencing the effects of nostalgia, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (trust me, I have deeply fond memories of the old Marvel run as well), but be careful not to mistake it for something it's not. Star Wars comics are still telling Star Wars stories, and those stories are hitting someone right now the way "your" stories hit you back then. And thirty years from now that someone will be waxing nostalgic about the Spark Eternal and complaining that Star Wars comics circa 2063 are "forgettable." 'Tis the way of generational franchises.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm going to give you that one. Those stories back then resonated and were big ticket stories. Dark Empire was a must as much as the Thrawn trilogy and the Tales of the Jedi and Dark Lords of the Sith were just as important as the X-Wing comic series run to the clone wars run, the Legacy Run. My gosh those 5o plus issues were amazing storytelling for a comic and Legacy II while not as great had some good stuff. Dark Times truly captured the feel of what it was like to feel the oppression of the new Empire and the aftermath of order 66. The new Marvel run really doesn't capture that. General Greivious is dark Horse comic run was far more deadlier and menacing and in the new Marvel run there is ...............nothing. The Dark Horse run adapted the Sons of Dathomir arc from the un-aired clone wars series. Marvel hasn't been able to get there hands on doing an arc. Now, the Sons of Dathomir arc should have been 6 issues at minimum and feel that the arc got cheated but I'd rather have something than nothing, cause the other ones for some reason are either going to get canabalized into new stories or just left in the dust.

What I did not like about the Old Republic is that it is massive and expansive and well part of the legends but yet allowed to continue in the new canon but not really recognized as canon. No extra comic books were created or books other than what we got before. In the aspect, I do like the High Republic because they are targeting everything. The little kids show.......that I'm having a small problem with. I wouldn't have a problem if a second animated series would come out for the pre-teens, teens, young adults and adult fans. There is so much that could be done and covered in that era besides the live action streaming show, but the High Republic is young and stories will always be added that go beyond the structure that they first started out with.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to admit it is wild to go back to some of the earlier comics where they would tell the stories of whole galaxy shaking conflicts in a handful of issues - in particular, Tales of the Jedi is shocking short given the scale it covered and its importance to legends as a whole - whereas more recent ones, including the newer dark horse comics, which will give many issues to much smaller scale stories.

You have to appreciate the ambition, though honestly looking again they were often a little too ambitious with the stories feeling kind of rushed and underbaked.

It makes me wonder what things would have been like if Tales of the Jedi got a whole High Republic style multi-media campaign rather than being just a comic, which then got a semi-connected video game, then fleshed out in sourcebooks and the like.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think the original TotJ comics were going for that old school "epic" feeling in every sense of the word, like the Iliad/Odessy, the Viking sagas, etc, which often jump back and forth between big-picture events and the individual hero's story. Even War and Peace is sort of like that. The OT was likened to this for years, but Star Wars in general became its own thing over the years, so it doesn't make sense to classify everything as an "epic" in Star Wars anymore. TotJ is one of the few that really hit all the marks in that regard.

SyndicThrass and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Some teases/announcements from today's releases:

From The High Republic: The Blade #4:
    "Porter Engle will return in....
    THE BROKEN BLADE"

(I'm assuming that will be a new mini)

And from the Jabba's Palace one-shot:
    Ewoks (April)
    Lando (May)
    The Empire (May)
    The Rebellion (July)
    Max Rebo (August) <-- (I believe we knew of all the above, but this one was new information)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, that Amazon listing for the "Scoundrels, Rebels, and the Empire" collection was apparently way off base. Maybe that was an early plan for the series.

8. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Curious to see what new comic announcements they have at Celebration. They have a Marvel panel completely separate from the High Republic stuff (and they specifically say there will be new announcements) so interested to see what that those will be.

It's possible they might reveal the post Return of the Jedi ongoing but then again the ongoing they have now seems like it still has a good year or two left in it so that might not be in the cards just yet. Most of the ideas I have of stuff they may announce are High Republic related but again that has its own panel so I'll just have to wait and see what gets announced for the Skywalker era set of comics.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  10. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Skippy the Jedi Droid's edgy '90s phase.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-marvel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep. Bit disappointing that we are still going to be staying in the ESB era. I think we can pretty much count on the ESB time period lasting just as long as the ANH one did.

13. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    No disappointment here. IMO they can keep the post-ESB crazy train rolling for as long as they can lay track for it.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion they abandoned the ANH-ESB timeframe - that period I like to call the "sweet spot" - far too soon. They'd only made it to halfway through 1 ABY before the time jump between issues 67-68. I'd love to see Marvel circle back and fill in that gap once the post-ESB period finally hits ROTJ.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    @AdmiralNick22 - you are not prepared for that The Rebellion cover.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  15. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I am really upset and annoyed at Dark Horse with the Star Wars: Hyperspace Stories Annual – Jaxxon 2023. comic story being con exclusive. I understand the covers being exclusive and thats fine. Iv'e only just found this out on the live stream. I have every canon issue and supported Marvel,IDW,DH and to be missing this story is really upsetting.

16. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I thought it was just the Mignola cover that was exclusive?

17. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Not what was said on the live stream and if i got it wrong and i hope i did ?! i apologise too Dark Horse.

I would even be happy if they said it would be collected in a future collection and i'm sure it will be. Just so it's not a hole in my collection.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2023
  18. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    An editor at Dark Horse posted on Twitter that "the whole comic is exclusive to the convention scene and Dark Horse Direct."

The Mignola cover is currently sold out on Direct. I'm wondering if they'll be restocking with other variants?

Edited to add: Oops, I should learn to read. "This limited edition comic will only be available in limited quantities of 500 through Dark Horse Direct! The remainder of the print run will be available exclusively through Forbidden Planet at Star Wars Celebration." Hrm.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  19. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    This article was throwing me off, but it seems like the comic will be available elsewhere with other covers, but only at other conventions and their limited shop. Which is better than entirely Celebration-exclusive, but still pretty inconvenient.

Senpezeco likes this.
  20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    And eBay sellers are already tripling the price. Um... is it too late to give the all-ages license back to IDW?

I know it'll probably get collected in a TPB at some point, but still. Con exclusives bug me a lot.

21. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    To anyone interested in the UK not sure about overseas. Forbiddenplanet.com has Star Wars: Hyperspace Stories Annual – Jaxxon 2023 to order.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  22. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    July 2023 solicits (+ Dark Droids #1 in August), via Bleeding Cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS #1
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • LUKE ROSS (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    VARIANT COVER BY JIM CHEUNG
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    SCOURGED VARIANT COVER BY RACHAEL STOTT
    FOIL VARIANT COVER BY GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
    "SCOURGE OF THE DROIDS!" A STAR WARS EPIC LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!
    • Who or what is THE SCOURGE, and why is no droid safe?
    • As a corruption spreads from one droid to the next THE REBELLION and THE EMPIRE face chaos!
    • What role does AJAX SIGMA play in all of this? And whose side is he on?
    • Find out when horror comes to a galaxy far, far away!
    Charles Soule continues his legendary run on STAR WARS with the most ambitious event in STAR WARS comics history! Joined by his WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS collaborator Luke Ross, the superstar team carves a new path for the future!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    ON SALE IN AUGUST!

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER – BLACK, WHITE AND RED #4
    JASON AARON, STEVE ORLANDO,
    FRANK TIERI (W) • LEONARD KIRK,
    PAUL DAVIDSON, DANNY EARLS (A)
    COVER BY TAURIN CLARKE
    VARIANT COVER BY TONY DANIEL
    VARIANT COVER BY KEVIN EASTMAN
    TRAPPED ON THE FROZEN PLANET HOTH!
    • FRANK TIERI sends VADER to HOTH.
    • STEVE ORLANDO goes cerebral with THE CORRUPTION OF DARTH VADER'S MIND!
    • PLUS: The Final Chapter of JASON AARON & LEONARD KIRK's dark tales!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI – THE REBELLION #1
    ALEX SEGURA (W) • MATT HORAK (A)
    Cover by RYAN BROWN
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER
    BY LEE GARBETT
    VARIANT COVER BY ROD REIS
    VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY RYAN BROWN
    MON MOTHMA MUST DIE!
    • ADMIRAL ACKBAR is the only one with the knowledge of THE EMPIRE's plans to kill Mon Mothma.
    • Enter POE DAMERON's parents, SHARA BEY and KES DAMERON, to thwart the threat!
    • But do they have what it takes to take down the unknown assassin in time?
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T …$4.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 2 #2
    RODNEY BARNES (W) • STEVEN CUMMINGS (A) • Cover by DIKE RUAN
    Variant Cover by CASPAR WIJNGAARD • Variant Cover by JERRY ORDWAY
    Concept Art Variant Cover Also Available
    THE PASSENGER!
    • The Mandalorian must ferry a passenger with precious cargo on a dangerous journey.
    • STEVEN CUMMINGS (CRIMSON REIGN, HIDDEN EMPIRE) joins RODNEY BARNES for issue #2 of this galaxy-spanning series!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: YODA #9
    MARC GUGGENHEIM (W)
    ALESSANDRO MIRACOLO (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
    WELL, HELLO THERE…
    • The MEGADROID is on the march! And only Jedi Master YODA and ANAKIN SKYWALKER can stop it.
    •But what is the lesson Yoda is trying to impart on young Skywalker?
    •Guest-starring: OBI-WAN KENOBI!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #34
    ALYSSA WONG (W) • MINKYU JUNG (A)
    COVER BY JUNGGEUN YOON
    Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
    Classic Trade Dress Variant
    Cover by JERRY ORDWAY
    Variant Cover by KYLE HOTZ
    ENTER THE STARWEIRD!
    • Long ago, Jedi Masters SHAAK TI and AAYLA SECURA sealed away a GREAT AND TERRIBLE POWER…
    • …a horrifying, ancient creature that RESONATES WITH THE FORCE…
    • …and DOCTOR APHRA and LUKE SKYWALKER have just released it!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #36
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • ANDREA DI VITO (A) • COVER BY STEPHEN SEGOVIA
    Classic Trade Dress Variant Cover by JERRY ORDWAY
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    DISASTER LOOMS FOR THE REBEL ALLIANCE!
    • With the discovery that the Empire is building a second DEATH STAR, the Rebels are on the verge of despair.
    • But LEIA ORGANA has devised an impossible mission to remind both the Rebels and the galaxy how to hope.
    • It's the FALCON's time to shine, as the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy flies into the belly of the beast!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #36
    GREG PAK (W) • RAFFAELE IENCO (A) • Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Variant Cover by Luciano Vecchio
    DEATH BY DROID!
    • With his Force powers still out of control, Darth Vader's more powerful and vulnerable than ever before…
    • Which makes this the perfect time for him to be BETRAYED by one of his most trusted associates (and astoundingly, it's not APHRA or OCHI)!
    • Featuring the return of TRIPLE-ZERO and BEE TEE – and the deadliest team up of droids Vader has ever faced!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #36
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • LAN MEDINA (A) • Cover by MARCO CHECCHETTO
    Boba Fett & Death Stick Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
    BOBA FETT: MARKED FOR DEATH!
    • THE BLACK SUN SYNDICATE wants BOBA FETT'S HEAD!
    • But the new team of BOUNTY HUNTERS has something to say about that!
    • Featuring DURGE, BOSSK, 4-LOM, ZUCKUSS, DEATHSTICK, VALANCE, KHEL and T'ONGA!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Vader solicit really sells the Dark Droids idea.

24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    So, seems like Shaak Ti will appear only in flashbacks.

Hope for Aphra and Sabé interaction, since the former knows about Padmé.

Now that sounds like a storyline where Xizor can reappear.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. That sounds like a very exciting possibility.

And even if not, I am always happy to see more black sun.

JediFett10 likes this.