main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I want a time machine so I can take the following image and summary back to us all in 2012 when we were panicking about Disney buying the license and how we might never see anything in the old EU ever again:

2. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I’m catching up on this thread & just read this.
    Dawn of the Jedi, Tales of the Jedi & all the follow on series, Jedi vs Sith, Darth Bane etc - & you say not that much?
    My reading chronology states 23 separate comic series/books.
    There was a heck of a lot of material in the old EU set prior to the prequel era.

vong333 likes this.
  3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yes they did eventually (and after twenty five years they should have released some).

However like I believe I said in my earlier posts the new stuff has already released about as many novels set prior to any of the movies than the old EU did. And it's not even half as old yet.

And now with them announcing entirely new eras set prior to the movies that difference will likely only increase in coming years.

With all the material legends released during it's lifecycle surprisingly a very small portion of it was set prior to any of the movies. Probably 95% of it (at the very least) was set around the movie periods.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I'm sceptical of that. Unless you include Marvel's first SW run of 100 issues plus. There's a good few Legends tales set inbetween or parallel to the OT films but not that many relative to Legends as a whole.

Legends went for continuation first then other eras.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    JediFett10 likes this.
  5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah legends did go for a continuation of the story of the main characters in Star Wars first. Which is why the reboot was pretty much a necessity. Them staying away from certain time periods now might be frustrating to some fans but it is probably better for the longevity of the continuity. With the way they are doing things now there is a good chance that the current continuity will last much, much longer than legends did.

Though if that does happen that will create other problems. Such as trying to catch up on 50+ years of stories.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If anything the new material is already as complicated as the okd due to the greater speed and quantity of production. But they can't keep doing reboots and the news from Celebration suggests they know it. So they're perhaps finally improving their signposting - enabling people to follow strands, but without rendering it as mandatory to do so.

JediFett10 likes this.
  7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah even though they don't have anything in the Old Republic era as of yet but with them officially making that an era would indicate they do have plans to do stuff with it. So people indeed could just follow specific eras if keeping up with the entire thing is too much.

8. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    There were around 140 comics set before the prequel films. That’s more than the entire first run from Marvel. That was over a 20 year period.
    There have been around 60 released in the High Republic era over an eight year period.
    I really don’t think it is a true statement to say that books & comics (which was the original statement)) told very little story.

I will agree that the HR has had more books than the old EU, but even then, there were around 10 books.in the old EU. So again, that’s a decent amount of story, especially when you consider how many time periods were covered to give an overall picture of how things progressed.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the big things that gets forgotten, in part due to how well they punch above their weight, is DHC is a small company. It's why they only did a handful of ongoings and far more mini series.

Marvel is a far bigger company, able to produce at a much higher level more easily. Nor are they the only company issuing comics as there's IDW / DHC.

10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Here is a video series of the book/comics material done so far in the new canon. It's done by a guy who runs a popular real life history channel and he uses the same format for some pop culture properties under a sub channel that he has. Here are the ones he has done for Star Wars thus far. Wasn't exactly sure where to put this but since he takes a lot of info from the comics (and there isn't a del rey thread) decided to put it here

#1 Battles of Atollon and Lothal - Star Wars Lore DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

#2 Battle of Scarif - Galactic Civil War - Star Wars Lore DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

#3 Battle of Yavin - Galactic Civil War - 3D Star Wars Lore DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

#4 Rebels Build a Fleet - Star Wars 3d Lore DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

#5 Battle of Hoth - How It Went Down - YouTube

#6 What Happened between the battles of Hoth and Endor - Star Wars Lore - YouTube

#7 Battle of Endor - Galactic Civil War - Star Wars Lore DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

#8 Operation Cinder - Emperor's Revenge - Star Wars Lore #1.8 DOCUMENTARY - YouTube

That's the latest one so far. The next one he'll be doing will be on the Battle of Jakku.

11. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Star Wars Epic Collection Rebellion Vol 6 SW: Shadows of the empire 1-6. SW: Bounty Hunters-scoundrels wage's 1. Classic SW Return of the Jedi 1-2. SW Tales of Mos Eisley 1. SW Tag and Bink II 1. SW Sergio Aragones Stomps Star Wars 1. SW SOTE mini comic 1-2. Material from SW Kids 12. SW Visionaries; SW Tales 2, 4-8, 10, 12, 14, 20. March 2024.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    darthzac14 and RogueWhistler like this.
  12. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Man, the Epics are pretty great. Does that just leave Invasion then?

13. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Looks like it, plus a couple of Tales from that era.

I'm not sure what this volume's taking from Tales 14, every story that's not accounted for would fit better in another announced volume.

14. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I still wonder why the 2D Clone Wars comics aren't included in the Epics. There some copyright shenanigans there?

15. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    The only thing that makes sense to me is that Marvel can't republish them, the other digests, or the standard-format TCW comic because they're all young readers' comics, which IDW and Dark Horse have held the license to. That doesn't explain how they're able to release the Star Comics Ewoks and Droids material, though.

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Marvel and Star are one and the same company. Star Comics was Marvel's imprint for comics aimed at younger readers. There'd likely be no licensing issues involved as Marvel is the original publisher of those comics, albeit under the Star banner.

17. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Can't wait for ROTJ Rebellion!
    Hmm... if Kes and/or Shara save Mon's life, that would explain how Poe got away with everything in Poe Dameron: Free Fall (Flying criminals/fugitives off-planet, faking his kidnapping, joining the Spice Runners of Kijimi, and killing two spice runner guards)! Mon gave him a full pardon as a repayment of her debt to his parents. ^_^

18. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    SW Epic Collection: The Original Marvel years Droids and Ewoks. Ewok 1-14 Droids 1-8 and Ewok annual. May 2024.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  19. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    SW Epic Collection: Modern era SW Epic collection SW Vol 1: SW (2015) 1-14. Directors cut 1 and Vader Down (2015) 1 Darth Vader (2015) 13-14. July 2024.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  20. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Marvel August 2023 solicitations.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's great to see the Epic Collections enter the canon era, but if they're still trying to maintain the "chronological order" conceit then this is an odd selection of issues. The entirety of Vader 1-6 happens simultaneous to SW 4-6, and the stories actually intersect twice. And are they going to include the Vader Down issues again when they collect the Vader series? (Also, what about Vader #15? They must be including the final issue of the Vader Down arc if they're going to include the previous five, right?)

There's no perfect way to do it, obviously, but if I were Marvel I'd have gone with SW Annual 1, SW 1-6, Vader 1-6, and SW 7-12 for this collection if they could make that page count work. Then, Volume 2 offers Vader 7-12, Vader Down, and SW 15-19 (which spins out directly from the events of Vader Down). Something like that. That way the interweave between the SW and Vader arcs is at least somewhat preserved, and we avoid the problem of having to include Vader Down twice (or, possibly worse, telling readers of a future Vader EC that they have to go back to a different EC to fill in a glaring gap in the story).

RogueWhistler likes this.
  22. lordpixie

Aug 30, 2015
    Yeah i agree with what you just said but Marvel loves Vol 1's and i think it will be plotted out like the OHC editions so a SW vol 1 a Vader vol 1 and so on.I do wonder how they will do the mini series in release order or timeline ?.

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    They'll do their best to do "Timeline" order where possible. For example, I wouldn't be shocked if Modern Darth Vader v1-2 is the Soule series, Target Vader, and anything else w/him from before Yavin. Not sure if and how they'll float all the minis into the Epic Collection model, but I could see them waiting a bit for a lot of the Pre-Yavin stuff until they fill in the era a bit better. The Epic lines bounce around so much, they can just jump to something else while they fill in the necessary inventory.

lordpixie likes this.
  24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Has a Legends Epic Collection covering the Invasion comics been announced? I'm unsure if I missed it or not (I think that's all that's missing from Legends)

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just wanted to throw this out there. The Marvel comics from back then was pretty good to include Star Comics Ewoks and Droids , Pizzazz, the UK stuff and the newspaper strips. The stories were wholesole and with the times of the OT. In fact, I can just stay with the OT movies, the comics from back then and the 10 novels. That was star wars, fun exhilarating without much thought. Later on then things got complicated and yeah to this day you have to read the last story to the other story of that story to the new story. It can be confusing and daunting and overwhelming with the true end in sight. The simplicity of back then really makes the OT work and its material.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    ColeFardreamer likes this.