main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Will the fighter select screen still offer to "take me for a ride" ad nauseum?

3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Want now.

Even though I was always holding out some hope for the stars to align and that they would give an epic "Marvel vs. Capcom vs. SNK vs. DC" game (screw Mortal Kombat), it was pretty much a pipe dream. This is more than awesome enough.

I just hope that they tweak the rosters a lot, especially on the Marvel side. Much as I loved the game, there were some serious head-scratchers on there. Did we really need two nearly identical Wolverines? Did we really need War Machine when Iron Man was already there? Spiral, Silver Samurai, Shuma Gorath, Marrow? They could've given us some bigger names than that. And finally, does it really need to be so heavy on the X-men? More than half of the Marvel roster was made up of X-men and baddies most commonly associated with the X-men.

I'd love to see these Marvel characters on there next time:

Thor (Seriously. Where the hell was Thor?)
    Dr. Strange
    Apocalypse
    Ultron
    Black Panther
    Sentry
    Ghost Rider
    Human Torch
    Invisible Woman
    Nova
    Deadpool
    Namor
    Stryfe
    Super-Skrull
    Mandarin
    The Punisher
    Silver Surfer (could be a little awkward with the board, though)

Seems like it could be too big a roster, but they could (and should, IMO) cut Colossus, Marrow, Omega Red, Psylocke, Sentinel (especially because it was so damn cheap), Shuma-Gorath, Silver Samurai, Spiral, War Machine and a Wolverine.

Whatever the case, I can't wait to take Dante and Samanosuke up against those chumps.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I bought a Dreamcast just to play MVC2, so, yeah, looking forward to this.

5. Duro_Blade

Duro_Blade Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2002
    really nice to see. i hope the game isn't a big letdown like the latest SF. i watched an interview that said they want to retain the game's 10 year fanbase and still attract new fans. i assume this means some nice tweaking to the formula that was MVC2.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    First details (thanks, Vassago)

Blizzard said it best when StarCraft II was announced, "Hell, it's about time."

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 may be 10 years old, but it's still popular incompetitive fighting circles. Fans have been requesting a new game in the franchise for ages, and after the fighting genre got a swift kick in the pants in 2009, Capcom is all set to deliver. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is finally officially announced.

The game is scheduled for a spring 2011 release date on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 platforms. Unlike the download-only Marvel vs. Capcom 2, this will be a disc-based title. In its current state of production there are around 30 combatants in the game including Wolverine, Iron Man, Hulk, Morrigan, Ryu, and newcomer Chris Redfield of Resident Evil fame. Based on the new trailer, it also seems like Dr. Doom, Deadpool, Magneto, Captain America and Chun-Li could also be in the game. Capcom is still hard at work trying to squeeze in as many characters as possible before the tentative ship date, so there's no word yet on what the final total might be and whether it'll rival the over 50 playable fighters in MvC2. Expect a number of characters to return along with others who have yet to appear in the franchise.

Capcom says the reason it takes a while to implement each character isn't strictly because of balancing, but also because this is an entirely new game being built from the ground up. The team is using Capcom's MT Framework tech from Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5 to bring this game to life, and is going for an authentic comic-book style of look. All we have to go on at the moment is the trailer which doesn't show any gameplay, but we're hoping to see more in the coming months. Capcom is handling all art design, though Marvel is checking the work to make sure it's appropriate and fits with the fiction.

What Capcom and Marvel seem particularly excited about is the immense rise in popularity of some of Marvel's characters over the past decade. Thanks to flicks like the X-Men trilogy, Iron Man, and the Spider-Man movies, it seems like there's a greater level of public awareness than ever. As for Capcom, in the time between now and MvC2's release there have been plenty of new franchises, including Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Does that mean we'll see Okami or Monster Hunter characters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3? We'll have to wait and see. We might even hear about something on the same level of weirdness as Gears of War characters showing up in Lost Planet 2.

Since the game is still in development, there aren't yet many specifics on how it'll play. It'll include an online mode and the mechanics are going to be similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 2, but not much is yet set in stone. Hyper combos will be in the game, but it hasn't been determined yet if the game's fights will take place between teams of three or two, and the way assists work is still being tweaked. As reiterated by Capcom's Keiji Inafune who oversees global production, the company is dedicated to producing games that appeal to a worldwide audience. No real specifics were offered as to what this means for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Franchise fans may be either horrified or sublimely pleased to learn that all the music is being redone for this game. I think we can safely say that means there'll be no grating jazz tracks and we can all forget about getting taken for a ride. If you don't know what that last part means, don't worry about it. Another change will be how the story works if you're playing through solo. Players shouldn't expect any kind of epic tale, but there will be character specific endings here along with a greater emphasis on story, and a boss character that Marvel says fans will appreciate.

This game is all about fan service, and plenty of character specific quips and even in-match events are being implemented. More casual fans less dialed into each character's history and personality probably won't care as much, but these kinds of things will likely bring a smile t

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The series essentially started with X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men vs Street Fighter, so it's not really all that surprising that Marvel vs Capcom 1 & 2 were so X-centric (...heh), especially considering that, in the mid-90's, the X-Men were the only Marvel heroes besides Spider-Man to sustain successful incarnations beyond the comics page via the popular Animated Series (which is why the character designs and voice acting in MVC are so heavily influenced by TAS).

8. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Were there any Marvel characters in MvC2 that hadn't been in a previous game?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going by the wiki entry for the series, the following were in one of the previous games but not in MVC2 (counting assist characters):

-Apocalypse
    -Jubilee
    -Onslaught
    -Thor
    -US Agent
    -Mephisto

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm so stoked for this, it's not even funny. My biggest problem is always picking between Spider Man and Gambit. Big decisions.

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I usually went with Juggernaut, Wolverine and Gambit in the arcades, though I occasionally rotated in Iron Man for nostalgia- as the singular moment that sold me on this series almost 15 years ago was when me and a friend were playing, I believe, Marvel Superheroes for the first time and then I accidentally discovered the Proton Cannon. That was a gloriously overkill of a victory. My friend also swore never to play me in it again, [face_laugh].

On DC, I used a bit more variety, but I don't recall the exact lineup as it's been awhile since I last played it- and I barely recognized some of the characters even when I did ;)

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    So far so good, except I think it's kinda stupid they include Resident Evil characters. Sure fighting off zombies in Racoon city is a big deal, but compared to the Hulk? You're a dead man, Chris.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Details & Interview

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    No FF? That's a shame. Mr. Fantastic would be a nice counterpart for Dhalsim.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] I can just see that match-up!

"Yoga flame!"
    "Science flame!"

"Yoga fire!"
    "Science fire!"

18. BattousaiCV

BattousaiCV Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2007
    Hope it's 6 buttons and not 4 like Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Also hoping that the pre-MvC2 games make it onto XBLA/PSN.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  20. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Young Dante will be in MvC3

?He may be based on the young Devil May Cry protagonist, but this Dante comes equipped with the best move from the entire series. He can juggle rival fighters with his dual pistols, close distances by sliding on his knees while playing Nevan ( his guitar weapon ) and even activate his deadly Devil Trigger mode to increase his speed and power.?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Game Informer Magazine scan

The best piece of info from the article:

"Deadpool's teleportation device will comically malfunction if you spam his teleport move. Also, he breaks the fourth wall by beating his opponents with his health bar."

:D

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I was annoyed by the inclusion of Deadpool when I first heard about it. This has changed my mind.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I will have to own this. Wade Wilson demands it.

(or, at least one the voices in his head does).

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.