main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Agent Carter

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Are "ratings" even a factor on shows that air exclusively on D+? They get these new shows all the time (and I'm not talking about the big Marvel ones) and I can't imagine they'd get even a quarter of the network ratings you'd want to keep a regular show on the air.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Views do factor- otherwise Netflix wouldn’t be so notorious for cancelling shows before they were finished (though budget is also a factor). But there’s more leniency due to the subscription model, so more obscure content can slide in there.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well I wish I could understand why AC didn't get the views/ratings it should have gotten; but I most certainly have my suspicions.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It Still Stings: The MCU's Agent Carter Erasure

Tbh, I guess it just hasn't even dawned on me that Marvel decided to completely shelf the series as non-canon when they knew how Avengers: Endgame would end. CA needed the happy ending. Peggy winds up the housewife, but at least she's dancing with her beloved. It's the 1940s, so she must be happy about that.

Rew likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Except it's not erased, as it's Steve's trip back branches off a completely different timeline from the MCU's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But it's the same timeline where old Steve shows up to greet them at the end of Endgame, isn't it?

Rew likes this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But what exactly does that mean? Is Agent Carter still canon in the MCU universe despite Old Steve recollecting on his life with Peggy?

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The Multiverse is a concept about which we know frighteningly little

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But it doesn't exactly give any light to suggest that AC would ever be picked up again either.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Why not? Anything can happen in the Multiverse

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The article doesn't give much hope to it of course. Back when the show was canceled, it was years before most of the female MCU heroes had their own spotlight. As it suggests, if you only name some obscure Marvel character, there's a chance he/she would get their own series these days. In hindsight, if the show only began now on D+, I'm sure it would've thrived.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Correct. Steve leaves the Prime Present Day, travels back to 1949 using his extra set of Pym particles. He then meets Peggy and creates an alternate 1949 branching timeline where he lives his life out with her until (presumably) her passing (so, let's assume Alternate 2016). He then uses his original set of Pym particles for his trip back home to Prime Present Day (though seemingly at least a little bit earlier than when he originally left Prime Present Day, since he's already waiting there on the bench) from Alternate 2016.

Meanwhile, Peggy Prime continues to live her original life, dumping Souza and eventually meeting her still-unseen husband that she speaks of in the Civil War documentary footage.

Also, even if you want to ascribe to the "Basement Steve" notion that he traveled back in time and stayed out of the public eye by Peggy hiding him and somehow avoided creating an alternate timeline (presumably by fulfilling a time loop where he always was Peggy's husband mentioned in the CW footage), he still traveled back in time to a point after the Agent Carter series (existing seasons set in 1946-47), so the events of that series remains canon (as well as possibly the events of Season 3 in 1948 spoken of by TPTB).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll take your word for it.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, you don't have to- you can take the word of the writers and directors of the film instead, as they described either one of those scenarios. The former is seemingly backed up by more people in the know, however, and is, in general, more consistent with the rules established by Endgame and doesn't require any logical leaps beyond them.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not concerned with the trivial this happened so this happened scenarios that the writers and directors have confirmed to establish the timeline. I just want to know if there's any hope that he show could be rebooted (with Hayley Atwell reprising her role). I follow a public fan page of Hayley's on Facebook, and all it's been showing recently are scattered Paparazzi pics of her. It would be nice if Marvel reconsidered her for something more than just the a VA nowadays for their animated show.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'd love a short season showing what Peggy and Steve got up to in the 50's.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    LOL they could film it cheaply by essentially using the same props from the first Wandavision show.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the "this then this" stuff addresses your original question of whether or not the show is still canon in the MCU. Feige was a fan of it but its survival was based on the older ratings model of ABC network TV shows relative to its higher-than-average cost (as it's a period piece). There had been a push for it to get a third season over the years but it never happened (the closest to closure we got was, essentially, through Souza's presence in SHIELD Season 7). But they'd never fully reboot it even if D+ got it- it'd either be a continuation or a relaunch/rebranding.

At this juncture, though, I'd expect to see Captain Carter first, given What If? and MOM on the horizon. But Marvel Studios always pepper in flashbacks when you don't expect them (who'd have expected to see Peggy in Ant-Man, after all?), so them touching on her life during the founding years of SHIELD (essentially AC Season 5+) at some point isn't outside the realm of possibility, at the very least.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well at least Captain Carter, at least an LA version, isn't beyond the scope of possibilities; considering Strange Supreme is already involved with the next big Marvel movie.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the idea that every episode of Agent Carter basically ended with Peggy going home and complaining to Steve about that Sousa guy who kept hitting on her at work.

22. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    I never saw the second season of Agent Carter. Was it any good?

23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    6.5/10

BlueYogurt likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was fine. The only problem was that of course it abruptly ended with plotholes; and since the show was cancelled they couldn't fill them.

BlueYogurt likes this.
  25. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Story-wise it’s shakier, but production-wise it’s actually a step up. It’s got a looser, more energetic and assured tone to it. Lots of great character stuff to make up for the plot issues.

Sarge, BigAl6ft6, BlueYogurt and 2 others like this.