main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Cloak & Dagger [Freeform Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 7, 2016.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    As my defining memories of Cloak & Dagger predate RotJ, the characters have no doubt gone through many changes I'm unaware of. Mainly I remember Dagger being painfully naïve and Cloak being cold and detached.

But I loved Legion despite it straying from source, so total fidelity is not a deal-breaker for me, as long as they know what they're doing.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just from the trailer it looks like it'll take the whole episode for Cloak and Dagger to actually Cloak and Dagger. Possibly the season. But if that's what I know going in, I can deal. Teenagers get freaky powers, things get freakier. It would be nice if they were actually doing full on Cloak and Dagger stuff by the end of the first episode.

Bonus points for the correct guess how the pilot episode shoehorns in a reference to the MCU to establish the world it's set in. I'm guessing a Thor or Hulk reference, those seem to be the go-to. Roxxon sign is a thing but needs to be a tad more on the nose. Maybe they watch videos of "The Incident" when they're trying to wrap their head around their powers.

Also, once again, the retcon No Prize tapdance why SHIELD doesn't just round them up but, to be fair, things are a tad busy on AoS right now with their own crisis.

3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I watched the trailer and it looks good the only thing off putting for me is freeform itself.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't get Freeform in Canada so fingers crossed they sell it to Netflix for international (or at least Canadian) distribution. On our Netflix Canada, for example, it has "Riverdale" with a Netflix label on it that says "New Episodes Weekly!" (and it's a CW show)

5. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    roff topic a little bit but is river dale good? i just cant bring myself to watch another high school drama unless there is something fresh like 14 reasons why

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I thought Riverdale is okay, but I only watched the first two episodes. I cut off my list because there's just too much TV shows I've subscribe to. I'd say Riverdale is like the high school version of Desperate Housewives with a mysterious death, suspects, salacious scandals and pretty people.

13 Reasons is a much better series, as it's more realistic and doesn't have that gloss that Riverdale has.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Haven't seen Riverdale, I didn't mind the "creepy Archie" notion but haven't seen even a trailer. I just kind of dig the fact that Netflix Canada sometimes buys US shows and runs 'em weekly. So I'm hoping they do so with Cloak and Dagger.

8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    yeah after pretty little liars I'm over the whole someone is murdered in our town deal unless they take it a supernatural route.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Premieres June 7th. Preview clip is online:

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Cloak phoned his performance in

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That was very underwhelming video clip. It actually looks like a knock off of "The Gifted" TV series. I'm going to need to see "Cloak & Dagger" in action using their powers before I buy into this show.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here's another underwhelming video promo, but I like the split screen character contrast.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That would have made for a great teaser but they do need a more gripping full trailer.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey, summer show, sweat deal! This summer is looking kinda empty for TeeVee shows so I'm down. Going to watch it all anyway, just to keep my MCU streak going.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I must admit, it's a gutsy creative choice to make a series starring The Background. Hopefully Cloak & Dagger will have good chemistry with it (that's not a spoiler, btw- you can see them on the poster if you look close enough).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

So, I like the first trailer as it features their powers. The previous teaser footage were too moody and felt like just another teen melodrama. However, I didn't feel the chemistry between the two leads in the trailer, but hopefully the actual series will make it so.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh good grief; she’s doing “the Pose” in the thumbnail image...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    LOL I see it so often that I didn't even notice "the pose."

20. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I used to think comic artists drawing the pose was archaic, a leftover from a different time. And they should quit doing that.

But I see more and more real life women and actresses posing like that for pics.

So I guess I cant blame artists anymore.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    What's "the pose"?

Anyway, what's the target audience for this show? I feel like anything on Freeform is for 18-22. :p

On a separate semi serious note, I'm enjoying CW superhero shows less and less. I think I'm falling out of that target age group, whatever it may be. It's getting too cheesy. It's also becoming meta. Like is someone has a problem, it's like they draw straws with who is going to have the "hallway talk" with the person, and by the end of the episode the problem is resolved, like an 80s sitcom.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    "The pose" is the common use of posing the female character with her butt in view with her upper body twisted towards the camera. It's very sexist, as none of the male counterparts are posed in this manner.

[​IMG]

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    At least she don't need to sit with her shirt open

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The channel specifically targets 14-34, but I get the impression it’s on the younger end of that scale, like CW.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer (warning: language):

This one seems to highlight more of the action and darker plots than the teen drama of the previous ones.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Gamiel like this.