main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Eternals

Discussion in 'Community' started by PimpBacca, May 24, 2021.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Well I didn’t say it didn’t work for anyone else.

Also I don’t think we’re meant to really consider it as that much of a moral dilemma, much like Thanos’ plan.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    "Meant" seems to be doing an awful lot of lifting there... ;)

Obviously I wouldn't expect most viewers to fully contemplate all the philosophical ramifications of what is presented on screen - but we can if we want to, of course

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Happy to hear that Eternals will be coming to Disney+ in a couple of weeks. I've been meaning to see the movie a second time in theaters, but I can wait for the release on Disney+.

I enjoyed seeing Eternals, probably due my adjusted expectations from the poor reception by many of the film critics.

I didn't think Eternals was all that different from most Marvel films, moreover, any blockbusters super hero films. However, that "sex scene" did catch me a bit off guard.

Now, I'm just waiting to see the impact and reactions of the MCU to the ending of Eternals. I think that might steal the thunder of Galactus, unless they make Galactus a Celestial in the MCU.

Sarge likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think they have to tie them together at this point somehow- there's too much overlap not to. He's either a Celestial, a former/altered/rogue Celestial, or a creation of the Celestials made on their scale for clearing out planets for whatever reason (perhaps for when judgements are not ruled in a planet's favor following rogue actions by other Eternals?).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, at this point, I'm thinking Galactus will be a Celestial; perhaps Arishem's executioner. Which brings up another question, when can we expect Arishem to render a judgment on the people of earth and whether or not this would be covered in a sequel to Eternals or some other MCU film.

I've seen some YouTube videos speculating that Galactus is the Yang to the Celestials Yin. To paraphrase Thanos, to balance the nature order of things.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    anyone know when this will turn up on Disney+ ?

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Something tells me it'll be on Disney+ on January 12. I'm going all in on January 12. That's my guess.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  11. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    This is really playing into my theory that it'll be on Disney+ on January 12th!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, I'd say it is a very promising theory... ;)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the cast is even planning a watch party that day, neato!

14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    They’re really desperate to get anyone to watch it.:p

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Zhao made the mistake of trying to make an actual movie.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I wish Chloe Zhao could have fleshed out the certain ideologies better in the film as she talks about them in the following excerpts from the article linked above:

In our society, in the stories we tell about ourselves, we often emphasize and celebrate masculine strength — the strength of constant action, of winning, of innovating and expending. In ‘Eternals,’ we wanted to explore the feminine strength in all of us — the strength that comes from vulnerability, love, forgiveness and ‘actionless action,’” said Zhao.

All the characters in ‘Eternals’ are trying to find the harmony between the masculine and the feminine sides of them, the ‘yin’ and the ‘yang,’ and only when they find the balance do they become whole,” she explained.

...​

Unlike the classic Western representations of demons, the demons in Eastern religions are often powerful ancient spirits of nature. Instead of exterminating them, we should acknowledge and appease them,” explained Zhao. “There is no such thing as absolute evil. Only energies that have to be redirected with understanding and compassion.
    I wonder if there's like a four hour Zhao cut of Eternals that really demonstrates these ideologies.

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If that judgement is to have effects on Earth (like having a certain World Eater show up), than it presumably takes at least 2+ years to happen (those Celestials, always working on a cosmic-scale clock..) since we haven't seen any of those effects yet. If they're prevented from occurring, then they could have theoretically already happened (as it seems Eternal 2 picks up soon after the first).

Unless the judgement is delivered in Eternals 2 whenever, but isn't implemented until later (Fantastic Four).

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Guess the sequel will be announced soon?

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Especially in light of those quotes, I would love to see a director's cut (a la Zack Snyder's Justice League) for Eternals.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Zhao on the original ending to the film and the casting of Eros.

"We actually had another ending that is really bleak. Bleak. I didn’t hate it, because I’m used to films that are more melancholy. But I don’t think it went down well with audiences.

It used to end with everybody back on the ship, minds erased and just going on to another planet, like ‘The Twilight Zone.’ I remember when it goes to black, everyone was like, ‘I don’t know what to do.’ And also, it’s the MCU, and you want to be excited for what’s next.”

“Long story short, with that depressing ending, at some point [Eros] was going to be one of the Eternals on that ship. And that didn’t quite work out. But I had been wanting to bring Eros into the MCU.

So I kept mentioning it to Kevin [Feige] at every chance I had in the hallway because I love the idea of Eros being another Eternal, another Ajak. He’s an Eternal, and he was stationed on Titan – ten of them were, just like the ten Eternals on Earth, assuming Titan is also a host planet at some point.

Now, if you think about that, what influence could Eros have had on the inhabitants of Titan, the way Ajak has influenced people on Earth? And how that has affected Thanos?

For me, the backstory of Eros is that he deserted, he said, ‘I’m not doing this anymore.’ So he somehow got that sphere, which you saw in his hand, and he ran off and made Pip the troll. They’re like Han Solo and Chewie.

Arishem’s been looking for him, and he’s just been a space outlaw. That’s the character I had in my mind. But I never said once to Kevin, ‘Here’s the character. Let’s find an actor.’ For me, it was a package deal. It’s got to be Harry. That’s how I pitched it to Kevin.”

21. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’m looking forward to watching this again when it arrives on Disney plus in a few days, much like I did with Shang Chi I’ll probably get a Blu Rey copy also.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Same here, except I'll be getting the 4k steelbook

PimpBacca likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Best MCU movie so far. Could’ve been better if Feige had let Chao do away with all the typical MCU staples, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Finally an MCU movie with good filmmaking.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It was a great film to start my bday weekend on. A great way to celebrate turning 30, giant doomsday robots bursting out of the planet's core.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm still of the opinion this is not just the best MCU movie of the year, but the best MCU movie ever, and perhaps the best CBM of all time.
    And what an amazing year 2021 was in terms of CBMs, we got four MCU movies in just six months. Absolutely amazing!