main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Eternals

Discussion in 'Community' started by PimpBacca, May 24, 2021.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Almost all of the reviews I'm seeing are variations on "It's a great/fantastic film until they try and MCU it"...

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s what it’s reading like. When it’s not like the MCU, it’s great. When it tries to be like the MCU, it’s bad.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In the end, even if the film ends up feeling average… it’ll end up being like most of the MCU origin story films (with IM, GOTG, BP & SC really being the only notable exceptions- essentially one film per Phase [thus far]). But the characters will have been planted with a decent story that gives them new pieces to build off of so that E2 or the next crossover film will probably be better for it when these characters evolve.

Much like Steve, Thor, Strange, Lang & Carol did over time.

4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    This reflects exactly how I feel.

Hooks an awesome film.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Looky looky, I got Hooky...

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    This sounds like similar issues we've seen in the past, with directors leaving MCU projects when the studio's desire to make everything fit together clashed with the director's vision for the movie.

Except Zhao powered on anyway & finished it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Gotta love the "it's just another Marvel movie" comments. In other news the Kit-Kat bar I ate the other day was just another candy bar! It could've been so much more!

8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    It could have been a Milky Way.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Hook IS a masterpiece! Bangarang Chris Killian!

Oh, yeah, I'm still excited for Eternals. It has Celestials in it. Just give it the Oscar by default. :)

Jedi Merkurian and PimpBacca like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That twitter post needed an "I believe it to be" proviso beforehand.

I'm looking forward to Eternals although reviews have tampered that anticipation a tad (and y'know 2 hours and 37 freakin minutes long). I don't know if that'll have an effect on box office as Marvel movies tend to be critic proof (ie. Venom) but this was definitely Marvel's attempt at a critical darling since it started previews so early. Having seen the trailers/Nomadland I get the feeling this will be like the MCU's attempt at an arthouse movie which can provoke reactions of "Yay! Masterpiece!" to "Huh?!" It is an example of Marvel Studios trying to put different genres inside of a superhero package. But when you go auteur driven sometimes it can go a wee bit sideways.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder if any of it might be based in diversity backlash.

12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I’ve seen this bandied about, and I doubt it. You could attribute that to losers review bombing the audience score, sure, but the idea that the same critics whose reviews made Black Panther, Shang-Chi, and Wonder Woman some of the best reviewed movies of their respective franchises, while being far kinder to Captain Marvel than they probably needed because of incels railing against Brie Larson online, turning around and unfairly lambasting this movie because of diversity? That just doesn’t track. There seems to pretty consistently be issues with pacing, with the third act, with story bloat, and with exposition overload.

13. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Maybe the review is the consequence of critic's having a certain expectation of what an MCU movie should be, and when the movie does not conform to said expectation, they poo poo it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or maybe Marvel literally compared this movie to Malick's Tree of Life, so critics were expecting this movie to be better than the usual MCU fare.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    They did? That was foolish.

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Obviously the reason this movie is getting average reviews is because of the diverse cast and gay characters. By the same reviewers who gave movies like Moonlight glowing reviews!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Gonna repeat what i said in the main MCU topic: critics are playing hardball with Eternals exactly because it was dubbed ( by Feige/Marvel/Disney) as "Best Picture" contender.
    So they , who don't like superhero movies (let that be clear) , are "judging" the movie as if had to meet some "gold Oscar" standard, wich BTW exists only in their heads.
    Jeremy Jahns and the people from Double Toasted in their reviews said the "it's doesn't feel as a Marvel movie" trope is just nonsense.
    So in the end the movies is paying for Disney ambitions.
    But Disney/Marvel, quite frankly shouldn't be this naive when they allowed early reviews of the movie.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    "Be proud of your film, Marvel. Just don't be too proud, or we'll make you pay for your effrontery."

19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That definitely wasn’t a smart thing to do. Like saying your band’s latest album is pretty much on the level of the Beatles’ White Album.

ETA: @Darth Chiznuk is gonna love this NPR review title: 'Eternals': A Marvel movie for everyone who complains about Marvel movies.

Who would’ve thought? A Marvel movie made just for me!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I mean, I'm excited for Eternals, and expect to like it, but it's going almost head to head with Dune. And Dune is not going to lose to Marvel in any award category.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As a Marvel fan I expect to like this film (and I’m not basing this on blind optimism as I’ve read pretty much all of the spoilers for it and it sounds great) so this title is stupid.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s why I shared it with you.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Kumail’s Kingo channeling Bruce Campbell is exactly what I needed this morning...=D=[face_laugh]=D=

If you’re so inclined...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Very good

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Rylo Ken likes this.