main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Eternals

Discussion in 'Community' started by PimpBacca, May 24, 2021.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Once you read the full context of the article it seems even more like throwing the movie under the bus.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    It has a 58% tomatometer as we speak.
    Well, how i said pages ago Disney mismanaged this movie release, they, for some reason thought it was a award contender kinda of marvel (no pun intend).
    I wonder if they test screened this one at all.

PS:
    I like Jeremy Jahns review that may underline the movie "problem"

3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    It will probably open between $50-$60 million and end up between $150-$160 million (domestic). Once again, social media has killed a movie's potential.

4. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
  5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. It could turn that, and I know this is crazy, but maybe the movie just isn’t that good?

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That can't be it....there has to be something else

:p

7. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Again Marvel was due to make a stinker ,as long as they get xmen, fantastic 4 well casted and good scripts and holland signed forever as spiderman its all good lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'd say they already made a handful of stinkers: Thor 1, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Ultron, Black Widow.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The more I see "It's a diversity mess" the more I want to see it.

10. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Iron Man 3 was the worst id say making a comedy movie geez that was dumb still cant believe what they did with kingsley lol

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean for me even the weaker MCU movies are still very enjoyable and were worth making in the first place. I'll find out tonight how I feel about this one, but I have faith in the combined efforts of Marvel Studios and Chloe Zhao that I'll come away at least somewhat satisfied.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really liked the first Thor, thought Ultron was okay, and enjoyed Black Widow.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel titled this ad "Fresh", definitely throwing some shade at RT

Although dopey me I clicked on a comment response and the first response was a spoiler from some idiot. remind me not to read comments ever again.

Anyway going to go Saturday at 6, hopefully it's not too crazy as it's usually a pretty busy showtime but maybe the reviews scared a few off for social distancing purposes.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So yeah, it was great. Messy maybe and one or two disappointing plot points, but great and fun. Not a ****ing Oscar contender by any means, that was a terrible marketing choice, but it's on par for the MCU, slightly above mid-tier.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I liked it a lot. Now, I do agree with the pacing problems… but it’s critical score is utter bullhonkey.

Or at least it is in a world where tripe like Iron Man 3 and The Last Jedi get glowing reviews… it’s definitely better than most Phase 2 films that were certified fresh, and it’s better than Captain Marvel and I’d argue equal to or better than Black Widow.

It did the most important thing it needed to do; sell the characters first, the conflict second, amaze with spectacle third, and combine all three for an emotionally engrossing finale. There’s a major twist that gives it an edge in antagonist compared to Captain Marvel and Black Widow, while I’ll be blunt and say that most audience members are liable to grow strongly attached to at least one of the heavily featured major characters.

The pacing is it’s biggest problem, as is potentially its target audience - a fair assessment might say that it’s clearly aimed more at the “Elder Millenial” and Generation X groups rather than Zoomers (for whom it might be too long and sedate in the middle) and Boomers (if they have issues with superpower films trying to be more intellectual.)

A good description might be to say that it has the same ambitions as a Zack Snyder DCEU film… but much better and far more competent execution.

It’s not great… but it’s much better than critics are admitting,

I’ll also be honest and say that I can definitely see critics throwing shade at it for being marketed as an award-worthy film but not catering to them… but they need to stop being so full of themselves as well. Half their preferred films are forgettable tripe as well; it’s just forgettable tripe that reaffirms their jaded world view, while this film dares to still ultimately be escapist (Gasp! The horror!)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  17. nilzo antonio

Dec 31, 2015
    Audience score at RottenTomatoes is at 86%!

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought it was great! Absolutely does not deserve that low of a Rotten Tomatoes score.

Anyone else think that sounded an awful lot like Mahershala Ali speaking to Dane Whitman in the post-credit scene? That’s who I immediately thought it was but everyone I was with said Jeffrey Wright so I don’t know. Of course it’ll be probably turn out to be neither. :p

19. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I liked it. Interesting how Marvel has done takes on the family dynamic for all three of their releases this year (I'm considering the Externals to essentially be a family). Could have been a little shorter. The first hour dragged in a few points.

I said in another thread it needed more Karun. I think every movie at this point going forward needs more Karun though.

heels1785 and Gamiel like this.
  20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I wonder how much of this is critics wanting the MCU to have a “failure”…

21. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't think Marvel is capable of making a flop any more than they're capable of making a masterpiece. The first Iron Man was a solid movie made with a restrained budget, inspired casting, and a love of the genre run through a solid writing/producing/directing team before the formula became what it is now. It came as close to greatness as any Marvel movie is ever likely to get. Disney Marvel has since collected the talent it needs to reproduce a consistent product, knows how to reproduce it, and will keep on reproducing it until customers no longer want to consume it, which I'm comfortable acknowledging will not be in my lifetime.

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    On one hand, this is one of the most interesting things Marvel has ever put to screen. On the other hand, that this is at its core so interesting and has so many intriguing things going for it makes the film feel so much worse whenever it descends into the typical Marvel fare – stuff that is usually moderately annoying in the average Marvel movie feels almost excruciating here, where it runs directly in counter to the really fascinating ideas and concepts that it is played against scene after scene. Please can we cool it with the sarcastic quips at this point, Marvel?

This might just be Marvel's most frustrating movie in their 20+ film slate, in that it really is one of the very best when it is firing on all cylinders but it just so often sticks to the well-worn path that, despite its peaks, it manages to continually kneecap itself at every given turn. In that light, I do totally get the negative reviews, given how much the bad sticks out like a sore thumb here (whereas the same messy stuff in other Marvel movies just feels like part of the generally accepted package, most of the time), when so much else in the film is really trying (and at times, really succeeding) to go above and beyond what the MCU usually has to offer; it's almost like MCU is typically graded on some sort of curve, but with this being touted as being "more" than the average Marvel movie (and coming off of the back of Zhao's very well deserved Nomadland Oscar win) but still suffering from the very same issues as most of the other Marvel movies despite its grander asperations, those issues do feel so much more amplified here and, thus, the curve is removed to some degree.

As someone starting to get very burnt out on most of Marvel's output now, I have to give this one credit for being as fascinating as it is in he moments where it is operating at its best, but I also think this is perhaps the most poignant example of why the Marvel formula truly needs innovation at this point, so that these movies can actually start breaking free of the baggage that comes saddled with the Marvel brand and house structure that we've seen almost 30 times over.

Bor Mullet, Gamiel, vin and 2 others like this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't think that... but I do think there's a decent subset who begrudge genre films not "knowing their place" and holding back some jaded vitriol until they see a vulnerable enough target to unleash it on. The kind of thing where if a genre film clearly is trying to get their attention, give them a little bit of pandering, but not just roll over and play laregly to their tastes, and if they see it's not guaranteed a cohort of culturally significant protectors (like Black Panther and Captain Marvel), then they're going to suddenly "Raise their standards" on it so that it can't reach them anymore.

Like, again, this is a very good, though not great movie... but I think it's because critics detected some vulnerability and heard it was supposed to interest them, a small but significant percentage of critics took the opportunity to voice some tired complaints about formula and romantic escapism because they desire formulas that they like instead and despise romantic escapism on philosophical grounds.

Like, I think Iron Man 3 got a pass so long ago because many critics enjoy more tongue-in-cheek, self-aware and sort of self-mocking construction for films - but for some, that's because the films they're watching do it well, and for others, it's because it allows them to rest assured that their own more semi-contemptuous view of blockbusters is accurate. So Iron Man 3 (and TLJ in Star Wars) get "bonus points" partially for being so meta, focusing on making fun of the expected formula, and in some ways even for the sloppier moments of their plotting (because they're not taking it "too seriously").

And when a genre film does take itself "too seriously" by forgoing the meta-commentary or manipulating audience expectations, and is simply an exceptionally well-made genre film (like The Dark Knight or Black Panther), they hold back some praise because they don't want pop-culture pulling acclamation away from their preferred films. That's why some stuff like the desultory and "for all the trilogy, m'kay?" Best Picture award for Return of the King and Black Panther getting nominated always feels more like a grudging obligation rather than a genuine acknoweldgement.

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    On the flip side, though, Dune is a massive, recently release genre film that isn't "meta" and takes itself, its world, and its characters incredibly seriously, and it has been near-universally praised and has already wormed (heh) its way into pop culture.

Eternals
    is much more overtly self-deprecating in that it is so beholden to the Marvel formula which, by and large, undercuts any of its weirder and more comic-booky concepts with quips and metatextual allusions to how silly its concept inherently is rather than just owning that and committing to what it is. More than anything, I want to see comic book movies really embrace what they are and own that, and I think the best of them are the ones that do. I don't totally blame Eternals itself for this, since Eternals really does seem to be striving to treat its internal concepts and logic with respect; what I actually blame here is the formula that it is baked into, which is the very same formula that doesn't allow that respect to really take hold most of the time and has been holding these movies from reaching their fullest potential for quite a few years now.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The reviews were right in only one way: the film fails when the MCU “massive CGI end fight” formula kicks in.

Apart from that, it is definitely one of the best MCU films. And it’s certainly one of the few that actually feels like it understands that the essence of film is…visual.

I’m 100% convinced that the dramatically low critic scores are largely (though not all) due to this not meeting the expectations critics have, for a more flippant, self-parodying tone. This one’s far too earnest, in that context. And when it suddenly lurches into MCU staples, like the aforementioned all out CGI fight fest, it feels very jarring.

I think it’s that clashing of tones that rubs people the wrong way, understandably. But it’s easily the most interesting and aesthetically beautiful of the MCU films, and at the top of the heap for me.

Zhao should be given more after this, not less. But I fear the monolithic expectations of the MCU have spoken, and Feige will revert.