main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Falcon & Winter Soldier [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, May 20, 2019.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think in Walker's case he's coming from having been part of a "team" for a long time, where he's seen as the top dog. He earned it, and he started off meaning well. But to remain top dog -- and later designated Captain America -- he had to continually prove to everyone and himself that he deserved it.

Steve didn't need to worry about that. It never crossed his mind he was trying to "prove" anything to anybody.

2. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    I really doubt this is what the show was going for, but
    it’s interesting to me that notwithstanding the horrific professional therapy we see at the beginning, the leads help each other discover self-differentiation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  3. Fin McCool

Apr 18, 2015
    Sorry, accidental double post.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It wasn't Zemo having an opinion, it was Zemo deciding he could be the sole judge of who deserves life and who deserves death, that Sam called out.

Also... I really don't see the super-soldier serum as giving anyone "god-like" abilities. It's really not even close to the power-level of the other supers.

And at the end of the day... there are more threats like Loki, Thanos, the Chitauri, the Kree, the Dark Elves, the Frost Giants, Ultron/White Vision, Dormammu, Agatha Harkness, etc. What makes the serum worst than Iron Man/Ant Man technology, or Doctor Strange/Scarlet Witch magic

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't say anything about it being worse than those things. I think they're all inherently dangerous in the wrong hands, and very few people in the world (or universe, in this case) are going to be able to have that kind of power without it going to their heads.

As for Sam's comment on Zemo, fair enough. I hadn't considered that reading, but yes, Zemo has no right to be judge, jury, and executioner of anyone. His decision to shoot Karli is just as wrong as Walker's rage-filled murder.

Lots of villains in this series to choose from: Karli, Walker, and Zemo are all bad in different ways. And all of them think they're in the right.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Has she though?

DarthRamRod likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... yes? Yes she has?

Rew, Master_Lok and Sarge like this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Did I miss something?

Who has she killed since the end of last week's episode?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry, I thought you were asking in general if she's done it. Since the end of last week's episode, she has not.

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That was sort of where their relationship was in Civil War, so it makes sense that the show would have to progress from there as a starting point.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

wobbits, godisawesome , Sarge and 5 others like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yep, that was exactly the moment that came to mind. The car seat bit as well.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, there was a stealth post-credits scene? Don't care. Can't be bothered to advertise - or just, you know, be more consistent about it like all those films did - then I can't be bothered to wait for something that may or may not be there.

What's worse is this worked well on the films, but it works because it came to be expected and it gives a sense of confidence and direction in the story.

Doing the same thing but with a random pattern? Doesn't work.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Darth Punk and DarthRamRod like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Both shows so far started doing it in their last third, if that helps any ;). But stingers aren't supposed to be advertised, even though the MCU (and AOS in the TV realm) has made them a relatively expected thing (with only a couple exceptions). The TV format doesn't lend itself as well to that, though (for instance- you couldn't really have a stinger between episodes 4 and 5 since 5 picks up right where 4 left off).

And, at least with the MCU, you kinda know to expect them at some point, so you know to check. It's not like, say, The Walking Dead, where they did it for one or two episodes at random after seasons of not doing so. And checking is relatively easy to do so since you can scan ahead of the timeline and see if the preview thumbnail changes from the credits to additional footage (or you can, ya know, just leave the credits running for a minute or two since the music is pretty good and you get some pretty excellent title sequences to go out on a high note with).

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Watched Friday’s episode yesterday.

Walker is an ass. I was afraid for a second that the Senators were going to cave into him when he was showing off his ego during the hearing and whining about what he was entitled to, because privilege. Glad he got discharged and sent on his merry way.

I am guessing the end scene means that he’s going to be a villain representing the crowd who does not think a Black man deserves the shield.

Good talk with Isaiah. His bitterness is on point.

I’m still concerned that Karli will go after Sarah and the boys.

Rew, wobbits, Healer_Leona and 5 others like this.
  16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    This series has ended up being good for reasons I did not foresee. Kudos to Marvel, and much respect to all the actors, in particular Wyatt Russell just because I literally didn't know he even existed.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Same. [face_blush]

Wyatt has the most difficult role here,
    the moment where he lies to Lemar’s family was just awful. He wouldn’t tell he was responsible for their son’s death.

That makes me wonder how Bucky will approach Yuri in regard to the Winter Soldier killing Yuri’s son.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Truth. I mean, I knew he was an actor, and such, but he has been in a lot of ways overshadowed by who his parents are (Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn}, and the superstar success of his older sister (Kate Hudson). But that's the magic of the MCU isn't it? It takes actors that maybe aren't that known (Chris Pratt for example - yes, I know he's cancelled at the moment), or perhaps forgotten about in RDJ's case, and raises their profile to the nth degree.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have a feeling the longest episode of the show will be the final

Sarge likes this.
  20. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Brilliant fifth episode with a strong starting fight to allow for a heavy character development episode, I presume this will allow for a pretty good action packed final.

This has definitely been my favourite MCU show out of the two.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Good points, I’ve seen Wyatt in other things, so I knew he was good. He is really good here, and I still pause when I hear him because he does sound like his dad a lot (not just the voice, but his delivery.) You’re right about the MCU with actors known and unknown. They have the casting mojo down pat.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Fin McCool

Apr 18, 2015
    Understood. I just found it tired and cliched.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Fun interview with Wyatt about TFATWS, but he will not play Snake Plissken. :oops: I get it though.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    1st leader = Steve Rogers
    2nd leader = John Walker

I served under both types. No doubt where my loyalties lay.

25. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Powerful episode!

(1) Loved the fight with Walker, Bucky and Sam. They surprised me, pleasantly, by making Walker formidable; its not clear either Sam or Bucky could have taken him on their own. That was a nice touch.
    (2) Sam TOTALLY blew that exchange by making it about the shield. It made the whole thing look selfish and just another case of "Nah, we were never going to give you a chance, you're not Steve Rogers". Walker probably should have known what he was signing up for, and I still think that the odds of the US government naming its next superhero "Captain America" versus something else was pretty slim, but.... you have to admit, Sam, Bucky and a lot of others gave the guy zero chance.
    (3) Marvel, in comic books and the MCU, has a real problem with superheroes who work for the government. They are portrayed as evil 99% of the time (they mostly ignore War Machine, so he gets a pass, I guess). Battlestar was a refreshing exception, but a short lived one. I am not sure what their point is, truly. The world would be safer and better if people with astonishing power ignored laws and governments and "followed their conscience"? Like, um, supervillains? The Civil War comic book series (the first) was appalling in a lot of ways, but especially amazing when Cap beats up the Punisher, when the Punisher is EXACTLY the logical endpoint of a "follow your own conscience" code. Or Zemo is.
    (4) Kind of related to #3, does Sam work for the US government or not? His "intel" guy is Army. His Falcon suit was stolen US govt tech, which he was apparently using with their blessing, post "the Blip".
    (5) LOVE seeing Batroc again. He was great in his brief appearance in WINTER SOLDIER, loved his surprise appearance at the start of the series, and looks like we'll be seeing more of him.
    (6) Why would Zemo be in Bucky's book of people with whom he needs to make amends? Maybe I need to go back and rewatch Civil War, or maybe I am just having a huge brain cramp here, but...??????
    (7) Zemo escapes from Sam and Bucky and his plan is to just stand around and let Bucky capture him? That...makes no sense. He's supposed to be smart, a master tactician, and he had ZERO back up plan in case he couldn't convince Bucky to take out the Flag Smashers?