main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Helstrom [Hulu]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 9, 2019.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hulu has announced the cast"

[​IMG]

And we have a character breakdown here:

The story follows siblings and supposed serial killer offspring Daimon Helstrom and Ana Helstrom. Plagued by their family background, the Helstrom’s will pursue the world’s vilest of the vile – with some family drama of their own.

Tom Austen (“Grantchester,” “The Royals”) is Daimon Helstrom, a professor of ethics who moonlights as an exorcist. Daimon has no illusions about saving a world he has no patience for; he just hopes he can help a few of the people closest to him.

Sydney Lemmon (“Fear the Walking Dead”) is Ana Helstrom who runs a successful auction house and suffers no fools, but her true interest lies in hunting down those who hurt others. Traumatized by her father as a child, Ana is driven to rid the world of those like him.

Elizabeth Marvel (“Homeland”) is Victoria Helstrom. Plagued by demons both real and imagined, Victoria has been institutionalized for twenty years. While she struggles to be herself, she hopes to repair her relationship with her children.

Ariana Guerra (“Raising Dion”) is Gabriella Rosetta, a woman balancing logic and faith. Gabriella arrives from the Vatican to help Daimon and Hastings uncover cases of demonic possession. She wants to save everyone she can, including Daimon.

Robert Wisdom (“Ballers”) will play Caretaker, a guardian of knowledge of the occult. He uses his knowledge and his relationship with Ana to help keep demonic forces at bay.

June Carryl (“Mindhunter”) is Dr. Louise Hastings, a psychologist with a strong faith but an open mind. Hastings Hastings is head of the psychiatric hospital where Victoria is being monitored. She has watched over the Helstrom family for years, caring for them as best she can.

Alain Uy (“The Passage”) will play Chris Yen. Yen is Ana’s business partner and her closest friend – some would say surrogate brother. He carries out the bulk of the auction house’s responsibilities and assists Ana with whatever she needs.

The ten-episode first season is executive produced by Paul Zybszewski who will serve as showrunner. Jeph Loeb will also executive produce and filming takes place Vancouver ahead of an expected debut next year.

Still a shame that the programming block this was supposed to be a part of was effectively broken up by the cancellation of the Ghost Rider series that was in development. Even though GR was clearly the one people were excited for, I'm willing to give this one a shot still- though I'm unfamiliar with the characters.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wonder how the very recent news of Kevin Feige given the keys to the entire Marvel Kingdom (that are owned by Disney) will effect Helstrom. I mean, was this announcement made knowing that Feige would be overseeing it eventually, or was it announced under the assumption that Jeph Loeb would be in charge of it? It notes above that Loeb would be the executive producer, but that might be just to keep Feige's new position a secret until it was time to make the announcement. Conceivably, if this was announced under the assumption that Loeb would be producing the project, Feige could now end it at any moment or change it up entirely.

In my experience, it's hard to keep such news, Kevin Feige becoming COO of Marvel, a secret internally. Moreover, a decision like this happens overnight, as the are contractual issues and the overall organization that needs to be looked at, analyzed and resolved.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I doubt they were trying to cover anything up- they could have just killed the project when they announced Ghost Rider's cancellation.If Helstrom had ended up in limbo like CAD S3, I don't think anyone would have questioned it. I also don't think Feige is going to put a halt to any projects already in motion since the next year or so would have Marvel TV content still coming out anyways (Runaways S3, AOS S7) and the D+ stuff doesn't kick in until sometime next year (second half, I'm assuming).

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Elizabeth Marvel is pretty great on Homeland so that's a plus.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This feels like a show that exists entirely so that cancelled Ghost Rider show had something to cross over with on Hulu and now it seems like it just may have been put into production too late to be stopped and it'll be one season DOA that hardly anyone cares about.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Wow, that looks exciting.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Hopefully they were smart enough not to end the season on a cliffhanger!

And heck maybe we'll get that Ghost Rider crossover in the season as opposed to the shows kinda like how Cloak and Dagger showed up in Runaways S3.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun Marvel TV scheduling tonight: @7pm on CTV they are showing The Avengers. Meanwhile on CTVSCIFI at 7pm they are showing The Avengers age of Ultron. I'm paralyzed with indecision! (Well not so much, original Avengers all the way. But still haven't seen the 4k Disney plus Avengers Infinity War yet!)

Anyway, Helstorm trailer. Last Marvel TV project before Marvel Studios properly is behind all of it. This was supposed to be a whole bunch of Marvel Hulu shows but now it isn't.

I hope Marvel Studios makes a ABC Marvel show since Agents of Shield is ending, it'd be weird if all the content was just Disney plus. Need that Marvel brand broadcast advertising! Also their budget for Marvel Studios Tv content seems much much higher than Marvel TV had.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a real shame they cancelled Ghost Rider. You get the impression from the announcement that that was meant to be the anchor for this programming block and Helstrom was to be the experimental, lesser-known property to be buoyed by GR. One assumes that there may be theatrical plans afoot for GR, so they didn't want a series running for, potentially, a few years with such a title on the horizon.

That teaser looks pretty intriguing, though.

darthcaedus1138 and Master_Lok like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Didn't see the Marvel logo on name anywhere on the trailer though which is a change, as ever since Agents of Shield premiere it's been Marvel's _______ for all TV shows.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's true- that trailer does underplay their involvement.

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

It looks a bit generic, but I guess they were never going to go with bare chest, cape and pitchfork.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ooh. Bunny Colvin. I’m in.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was that the same church from Daredevil in the one shot?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To no one's surprise at all, the final Marvel TV live action series has been cancelled.

Honestly, I forgot this came out. I actually just resubscribed to Hulu the other week so was going to get around to it at some point, though.

Only MODOK and Hit-Monkey remain now for Marvel TV projects in general, but those two are animated.

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This show was decent, though obviously not up to the quality of a lot of the other MCU stuff. It definitely seemed to suffer from the loss of something like Ghost Rider to anchor it for the audience. Most of the acting performances were good, in particular the actress portraying Ana, even if the writing was fairly pedestrian.

The show had a reasonable enough ending and could’ve stood well enough on its own, but of course they just had to stick in an obvious sequel hook after the finale’s credits sequence—even though everyone involved had to have known this show would be dead in the water after one season. (A shame, because that hook looked like it was going to make for a much more interesting season 2.)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- not having seen it yet and only going by the announced premise and trailers, it seems like this playing off of Ghost Rider as a connected horror block would have strengthened this- especially since you could get characters and such built up faster so that they could crossover with minimal setup.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Still haven't seen a Canadian Distributor for this show but since Disney+ in Canada is getting Star ad-on in Feb (which supposedly includes Hulu content) I'm hoping this'll land on there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020