main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Inhumans [IMAX/ABC]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Feb 28, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yup. I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and no score yet for Inhumans, but it's doubtful that it will score over 50%.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

[​IMG]

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Bye, heelslicia...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If I do go see this, it will probably be next weekend- CEOT3K is only out this weekend so I'm going to give that priority (beyond simply being undoubtedly a better story to begin with)

pronker likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Saw it in a Digital IMAX (one step down from fancy big screen honkin IMAX but still really big and really clear), and I mostly liked it. It's okay, something can be mildly entertaining with potential without eternally falling into the "AWESOME!" "SUXS!!!" only two extremes that live on the Internet. But, y'know, there ain't no way the Internet can ever really be moderate, can it? Anyway, TeeVee budget popping up on IMAX aside, it does look hella impressive at times, not due to the FX or costumes really, just how gosh tarn purty them IMAX cameras make it look.

Well, one maybe but maybe not continuity glitch with the rest of the MCU, specifically Agents of SHIELD, very nitpicky

The Terrigen crystals look like they did on AOS although when we see Terrigen happen, there's no cocoon. however, it happens on the moon in a controlled, enclosed tube environment with fancy Inhumans technology. Maybe they can skip the cocoon part.

Here's me review. Of note, to spoiler tag or not to spoiler tag? I mean, TV shows technically only have a 24 hour spoiler period but movies about 2 weeks? But it's a TV show and not a movie? Hummm. I'll spoiler tag. It ain't even that spoilery anyway.

There is the blockbuster money-making grandiosity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with movies like Iron Man, The Avengers, Spider-Man: Homecoming and more. An adjunct to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) are television shows such as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and many more (with more on the way!). TV fleshes out the MCU with different characters, events and tones. For a long time, Inhumans was teased as a Vin Diesel starring movie but eventually it was given over to Marvel TV development for a mini-series.
    The Inhumans is the latest Marvel TV effort in conjunction with IMAX and the first two episodes premiered in large-format IMAX theatres for a limited run with the broadcast premiere on ABC and CTV later this month. The result of the double-size premiere episode is mixed. It doesn’t approach quite the epic scale of any of Marvel films but it’s larger, quite literally, than any Marvel TV effort. In its native IMAX format, Inhumans is visually impressive although some TV budget constraints are more pronounced in IMAX. But it looks better in IMAX better than it will on TV and certainly than on a phone. There isn’t exactly an “ending” here as it’s meant to be the start of a mini-series which can be frustrating. Sometimes Inhumans tonally stumbles into some really dopey moments but other moments are very fun and unique. Also whenever the giant teleporting dog shows up it makes anything better.
    On the moon in the hidden city of Attilan live the Inhumans, people who ingest the Terrigein mists and either develop cool superpowers, massive deformities, or nothing at all. Their ruler is the silent King Black Bolt (Anson Mount), who chooses not to speak because his voice has destructive power. His wife with superpowered hair, Medusa (Serinda Swan), translates for Black Bolt. Their inner circle is the warrior Gorgon (Eme Ikwuakor), the man who can see the flaw in all things, Karnak (Ken Leung), Crystal (Isabelle Cornish) and her teleporting giant dog, Lockjaw. When Black Bolt’s brother, Maximus (Iwan Rheon), overthrows Black Bolt and takes the throne, the royal family escapes to Earth, pursued by the deadly Auran (Sonya Balmores). This is basically a two-part episode so Part 1 is the Royal family on the moon and Maximus taking over and Part 2 is the banished Inhumans wandering around Hawaii and Maximus brooding on the moon.
    There are a whole lot of magic rules thrown at the audience which can be disorienting. Fans of the comics or viewers of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will get it but the backstory can be bit daunting. Like many TV pilot episodes, the script is extremely heavy on exposition and introducing a whole bunch of characters, so it can be a bit meandering. Inhumans is written and executive produced by Scott Buck who also ran the Iron Fist TV show. It has some of the same problems featuring stilted dialogue with little subtlety or nuance. But what is done way better here is the family dynamic of siblings struggling for dominance of their domain. While in Iron Fist, it was a bit leaden, but here there’s a sense of urgency and danger to Maximus’ coup.
    Inhumans is one of Marvel’s wackier properties so a few things work and a few things fall flat. Oddly, the giant teleporting dog Lockjaw is rather endearing because it’s just so big, doesn’t do much aside from pant and teleport people out of tight jams. Crystal just sort of hangs out with Lockjaw but even just doing that is still kinda fun. Medusa moving hair is a bit of a mixed bag, it’s interesting as she literally beats people up with only her hair although the CGI is a bit wobbly. Maximus depowers her by shaving her head as he uses a simple pair of electric clippers and there’s a slow motion close up of Medusa sobbing, which comes off as more silly than dramatic. Why did it have to be electric clippers anyway? They live on the moon, have super-powers and have lazer weapons, it would have looked cooler if he used a ray gun.
    Mount manages to convey a considerable amount of emotion as the silent King Black Bolt without actually having saying anything. There is a devastating flashback that shows the danger of his voice that is really powerful. Everything Leung’s Karnak does in the first half is nifty but he spends the second half literally aimlessly wandering around the woods. Rheon’s Maximus is the most compelling; he has a lot of monologues and an underlying sense of nastiness as he takes control. There is a lot of Medusa in the pilot however once she’s stripped of her powers, she is considerably more boring. As Auran, Balmores does a very good Terminator impression and has an neat post-credits scene.
    Inhumans is nowhere near the best Marvel movies, and it’s not even the best TV show Marvel has done, but it is fascinating and knowingly goofy. This IMAX presentation shows off how large and clear the format can be which is worth checking out. Maybe the character relationships will deepen and the action will be better in the subsequent episodes on TV. But this is a cool experiment, it’s really different, and adds another quirk to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

pronker likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    10 scores in, looking great!

[​IMG]

Luke02 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    INHUMANS MIGHT BE CANCELLED ALREADY

pronker likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol, looks like I may owe heels some money (even if I didn't expect this to be good)...

heels1785 likes this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    as this is television, you have to think Marvel TV and ABC want Inhumans to be a success so they can have additional seasons, otherwise why even bother in the first place?

I was okay with the Inhumans as filler/miniseries/what have you for Agents of SHIELD and not a full blown series antsy to produce s.2. If the whole thing's cancelled, darn.:( At least I got to see Lockjaw in some clips.[face_cowboy] If Lassie can have her own series, why not Lockjaw??[face_clown]

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

[​IMG]

Rew and dp4m like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The trailer was so hilariously awful, but I wasn't expecting a 7%. Good lord.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hopefully they wrote it as a mini-series with something ending-ish.

I still say a 7% rating is dopey and pile on who can say the nastier thing hate one up mentality. Has anyone seen any Chuck Lorrie shows? I mean, come on.

pronker likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender Sai Albus thinks critics read each other's reviews, and are in some weird competition.

It makes more sense than this show being crap, apparently.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think we should be grateful for the authentic frontier gibberish though.

16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Just saw an ad for it on NatGeoWild channel tonight, Thursday. Sort of appropriate placing an ad for a program named Inhumans on an animal network, when you think about it ... [face_chicken][face_cow][face_monkey][face_pig]

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Inhumans website has character and actor biographies, I found this entry on Lockjaw kinda amusing

http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-inhumans/cast/lockjaw

[​IMG]

Lockjaw

As himself
    character biography
    Crystal's 2,000 lb canine (yes, a dog!) companion with the ability to teleport.
    actor biography
    Lockjaw plays himself, in the role he was born to play.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and pronker like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol.

I watched it tonight. Wasn't abysmal, but yeah definitely not on the level of the rest of the MCU.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I missed about the first 40 minutes, due to some confusion because my watch is a bit fast, so I didn't realize it was on immediately. It wasn't terrible, but I was a little confused because I didn't realize it would be set in the present.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The 1st half is better than the 2nd half, I feel. I kinda dig Black Bolt wanderin' around in the 2nd half, though. Karnak being reduced to literally wandering in circles not so much cuz the scene demonstrating his power is actually pretty great.

Haven't seen the broadcast version yet, so not sure exactly what they added.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ah crap, that was tonight? Kinda wanted to see it despite all the horrible things I've been hearing about it.

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Squee! over it making the ABC schedule * especially after even late Thursday night, Comcast's schedule said "To Be Announced" for the timeframe *... and I had to be gone tonight. I'll try to catch it when I can ... [face_alien]

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    wasn't great, could have been worse, i could say i hope it gets better but it may be gone by then

24. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Got you covered
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/confusion/Pages/Introduction.aspx

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That actually wasn't as terrible as I had feared. I found it much more watchable than Iron Fist did at the start- also this didn't seem to wander aimlessly in terms of story focus/direction.

I think it helps that at least some of the characters amongst the large cast are likable (can we just give Karnak his own show immediately? The "I like choices." scene was awesome) whereas with Iron Fist you're basically treading water waiting for Colleen to show up again.

But other characters either aren't that good (the princess) or look terrible (Medusa) and the overall plot is pretty straight forward and isn't really triggered by anything dramatic (Maximus sells it to the people as an hour of need- but all that happened is they found a rover), so that undercuts the whole thing.

Continuity-wise, I'm guessing this could be set between AOS S3 & S4 (Inhumans appearing from the water contamination is relatively new and the hunting references could mean ATCU, but not so new that it's just happening or that people aren't aware of them). Although "present day" S4/S5 could still fly (the Watchdogs could be the hunters).

BigAl6ft6 and pronker like this.