main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Iron Fist

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 20, 2016.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The shorter season is prob why Danny was able was in LC2 and Misty was able to take such a large role in IF2. $ and time freed up. I know they have contracts but I’m doubting they would have done so much crossover if it was standard 13 Ep.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And Marvel/Netflix have canned I, Ronald Fist.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Should have been smothered with a pillow after the first screening of the first episode.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Probably for the best. His cameo in Luke Cage was his best appearance, anyway.

soitscometothis likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus they could just do Heroes for Hire + Daughters of the Dragon in one series, save a buttload of cash?

6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    *Sighs*
    Therefore, won't bother with Season 2.

Jedi Daniel and Master_Rebado like this.
  7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    No watch it. It was a vast improvement.

I’m actually pretty pissed off about this after watching it now. Guess Rand will just be co staring among the other shows.

I really hope they change their minds eventually depending on how much longer they plan to keep releasing these shows.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just watched episode 6, Davos straight up calls Danny out on cultural appropriating something that wasn't his. 4th wall alert! It's pretty great too.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah have a good sook, that'll teach them!

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Another way of seeing it is that Davos is complaining that an immigrant kid* took the job that he see as being his by right.
    * which Danny was in K'un-Lun

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Voltron64 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I wasn't sooking, i'm relieved that I won't have to endure another season of this dreck.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    So I had to look up what the hell a sook even was...

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, the series was lucky to have a second season considering how bad the first was. And as evidence by this thread and the Marvel proper thread, the first season was so bad many people didn't even bother giving the second season of Iron Fist a try.

This is what I felt Marvel was going to do with their properties on Netflix. That after 2019, Netflix won't have any new Marvel episodes or shows on Netflix but rather be transferred over to a Disney network or streaming service, and Heroes for Hire or Daughter of the Dragon would be such series.

Now, Iron Fist season two has long been out, so there is no requirement to use spoiler tags, and I won't.

So, from the point forward, it's a tagless SPOILER FREE FOR ALL.

Last warning. Season Two SPOILERS ahead.

So, the biggest spoiler is...

Colleen Wing now has the power of the Iron Fist, which is both bizarre (in the manner on how she gets it) and awesome because I thought the actress that plays Colleen Wing should have been cast as Danny Rand, aka Danielle Rand. Anyway in the season finale we see Wing hit the streets as a vigilante.

Danny Rand went on some journey with Ward, IIRC, to find the source the Iron Fist corpse Davos used to help him steal the power of the Iron Fist. Some how, Danny has to power to make bullets light up like the Iron Fist.

So, with Colleen now with super powers, she can definitely team up with Misty Knight and create "Knight Wing" as mentioned on the TV show, or the better well known comic book team up name, Daughters of the Dragon. Which could be on the Disney streaming service in 2020.

Danny and Ward could be the "Heroes for Hire" team up, as Luke Cage is some place too far removed to be part of the Heroes for Hire team at the end of season two of Luke Cage.

And therefore, it just didn't seem like there would be a season three of Iron Fist, but rather spinoff shows. Which makes total sense, since Jessica Henwick has the martial arts skills needed to pull off Collen Wing/Daughter of the Dragon and Finn Jones could just shot people with magic bullets in a reimagine "Heores for Hire" instead of trying to improve martial skills and become the Iron Fist again.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    those last 10 minutes of Iron Fist s2 do set up a lot of things that I would hope would be resolved in a Luke Cage / Iron Fist Heroes for Hire team up show (Luke Cage S2 also has a bunch of dangling potential). And Finn Jones sold the hell outta the WTF Iron Fist bullet weirdness at the end. "Don't do that again!" was great.

I liked season 2 a lot, definitely winning a Most Improved trophy. Davos is a good baddie cuz he has conviction and craziness which works. I think my favourite scene in the season, maybe the series, is Davos talking to the kindly shop owner, asking if he is a good man, and then 30 seconds later Iron Fist-ing him through the chest. more Collen is always good and adding Misty was a bonus. And the fight scenes were better. Ward went to being loving Danny which was weird, and him in rehab I don't care. I did like Joy's manipulations more this time around and she had a fun interaction with Davos because near the end she was halfway convinced he was going to off her at any moment. Which he sorta did! Mary is a wild, weird addition and her powers changing due to strobe lights and water and Eve's performance was enjoyably off the charts from cold killer to doe eyed innocent.

I'm glad Danny gets the Iron Fists back (both!) in the final scene because it's cool that they managed to split the power between the two leads in the end. Although he loses it in ep 4 and it stays gone which is a bit of a bummer. Okay most of a bummer cuz Iron Fist not be Iron Fist-ing for most of Season 2. I actually like Danny and wish the show hadn't tried to write him out it felt like most of the season. But overall the cool parts are cool and the twists are good. Still has dead weight from Joy and Ward, though. And dangit, someone follow this stuff up, please!

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    @Diggy:

What is the dangling potential of Luke Cage?

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Have you not seen Jessica Jones Season One?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Any dangling potential of Luke Cage had its kinetic release in both seasons of Luke Cage, as he got a good amount of coffee which all came to a climatic end.

Anyway, the biggest and common positive comments about season two of Iron Fist is that it's better than the first season. While I don't argue that, I do want to provide the context that season one was like the lowest bar to set over. So, saying season two is better than the first season is not saying much at all.

I felt season two had a lot of missteps and pacing issues. First of all, the character of Typhoid Mary didn't pay off. The way the character was portrayed and presented was a poor man's bipolar version of The Punisher, as she has multiple personality disorder. But, it's not done in a way the helps the narrative or create an interesting character like James McAvoy's character in the movie, Split. The story doesn't give Typhoid Mary much of an arc, like The Punisher in season two of Daredevil, but they try to make her a vital part of the story. It just doesn't yield any noteworthy results. I mean, no one really mentions her character.

Any there are still some pacing issues even though there only ten episodes instead of the usual 13. The Meachum siblings really didn't need to return for season two and trying to make them a part of this season caused alot of the pacing issues. Their tangent story lines really don't add much to the franchise, nor to they really help/support Danny Rand.

And there's still the issue with Finn Jones lack of martial arts skills, which is why I feel they stole the power of the Iron Fist from him. And it didn't make sense that Colleen had to teach Danny how to fight and manage his emotions in season two, because the entire point of being the Iron Fist was to know how to fight and be the protector of K'un Lun and the destroyer of the Hand.

Season two is better than season one, but it's still a far cry from being great; especially in the light of season three of Daredevil.

soitscometothis and Diggy like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fully agree with this.

The people behind the TV-series did not seem to really understand how good he was supposed to be with all the trouble he has with normal NY thugs. I can understand that they did not have time to train and choreograph the fight scenes but that don't mean that they can't show him just walk away over all who are not real fighters.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think the random thugs gave Danny too many problems. There's the fight him and Collen have in Season 2 episode 1 where they walk all over them as if they're having a relaxing jaunt, probably my favourite fight of the season from a character POV. But the Davos versus Danny for the Iron Fist flashback fight is great as well.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of Season 1

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    4 eps into season 2 and, yeah, this season is significantly better so far. Even continues that pattern of all the post-DEF seasons dealing with the heroes struggling with going too far or heading down a darker path (except fir Frank who tries the opposite but he’s sort of separate from the others), so that’s consistent.

EDIT-

”What’s a 616?”
    “Possible suspect with abilities.”

"Drop it!"
    "Or what? You'll shoot me?"
    o_O "Yes."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished the series. Solid season, really. Better than the first goes without saying but may actually be one of the best DEF seasons overall (at least upper-middle. DD, PUN & JJ all had at least one season each better than this). And, up until they spent the final half hour setting up a third season (which did have some great teases- especially implications about the 1940's Iron Fist we saw in season one's film footage), it wrapped things up rather nicely.

Pacing was really improved- the 10 episode format is so much better for these shows. They take the normal Netflix approach based on people's usual viewing habits and let the first 3 episodes act as the "pilot" and things start to pick up quickly after that.

Glad to see more of a shift to Colleen and the further integration of Misty (who might actually have appeared in more episodes of this franchise than some of the titular characters at this point, lol). Davos makes for a much more compelling, personal (and better acted) villain than the Meachum father in season 1 (ok, he wasn't exactly poorly acted but the character was so off in nature that he was more campy).

They even made Joy and Ward really interesting this season and they walked the line between annoying and "ok, maybe there's something to them afterall" last season. Making Joy this awful survivor type and Ward this broken disaster trying to right his existence in the fallout of S1's events were some unexpected but well-executed choices. They basically took what worked about them in S1 and expanded on that significantly.

And i really, really dug Walker. At first I wasn't sure about Mary but she quickly became one of the more interesting (and badass) characters (“Take your time coming out. I’ve got no other plans and a ****-ton of bullets.”). I wonder if the Sokovia reference to a building getting blown out (during her flashback) is meant to link, directly or indirectly, to the origin story of the twins in AOU? (ie: it would likely be Stark arms that dropped there, so it might be the same campaign, etc).

EDIT- Oh, crap, she was Typhoid Mary?! Dammit, I shoulda realized that before, lol. It's so obvious. I think in the back of my head I'm still thinking about the rumors a few years back about how Katee Sackhoff was supposedly being cast as the character for a film (as she was seen at a comic shop asking to buy all the comics with the character in them, etc) and since we never got a hard decline on it, the lingering info deflected my thoughts of making the connection to the Mary here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Little late but Honest Trailer for Marvel's Iron Fist!

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess it's a troll move because people have been clamoring for a Daredevil HT, so instead not only do they make this first but they make it extra long.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I just kind of figured this thread got upped to troll heels after he complained about old marvel threads being bumped elsewhere

Honestly, that would have been a better reason to bump this thread