main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 16, 2015.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    She does have a costume, guessing she'll get one at the end like Daredevil got his classic one. She'll be in Defenders so I'd assume that guarantees she'll get a costume.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jessica tossed her tights. Might see in a flashback. But doubt she'll ever "suit up", she's kind of annoyed with the whole thing when the comic/series starts.

3. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Super excited for this show...loved the Alias comic series!

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Doesn't she eventually suit up again? I've never read her comics but when she shows up in others she's been in costume.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe after Bendis dropped her but Alias (and The Pulse) she seemed very ticked off about the whole superhero gig and stayed "street".

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, she suited up again for New Avengers. But I doubt she goes that far in this series. Maybe for Defenders.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    By the way, I think the premiere announcement hasn't been posted in this thread:

Lovely David Mack art here. It's like Alias covers come back to life.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh boy oh boy!

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Her journey is actually opposite to Daredevil's. She's a former superheroine, who used to be known as Jewel --or actually not known as Jewel, as her career was mediocre and unremarkable. Something terrible happened that made her hang the tights. When she reappears, she's become a private detective and opens a firm called Alias Investigations where she tries to use her personal experience to take on superpower-related cases.

She's suffering severe PTSD, drinking way too much, and (as dp said) an unhappy person trying to find a place and take control of her own life (a central theme of the original series). Her superpowers are diminished, because she hasn't used them in years; she can't fly anymore, but she still packs a mean punch. She hates the superhero community, who she feels abandoned her when she most needed them, and is prone to melancholy and self-loathing. She, still, can't stand seeing common people suffering, and the same reasons that made her become a superheroine drive her to help the weak as a detective.

She's, in one word, awesome.

10. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    So....2015, not 2016. Thanks, Netflix, for making my Christmas viewing schedule even busier! :p

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It feels strange to type this, but I've become a Marvel fan in the context of Netflix. I like the ambition of the Daredevil project, even if the execution isn't 100% effective 100% of the time. I'll check out any original programming Marvel drops into Netflix, and I'll definitely check this out, even though I have no idea what it is.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    More crime drama but this time with legit superpowers and a bit of a psychological horror angle. It'll certainly have tonal similarities with Daredevil but probably toned down more on criminal organization infighting. Purple Man is such a juicy part in the original "Alias" run I can see David Tennant having a lot of recognition for it. Maybe it'll get a better shot at some Emmy tin than Daredevil because it's a female, hard drinkin', hard livin' noir detective hero. Superhero even! Well, former. Don't see that too often.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Doctor Who's first episode of 2005 began with a clock. Just sayin'.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I feel like this is a prequel to the alarm clock one, heh.

17. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, you may have a point there.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like it. I like it alot. Jessica Jones should be able to fill the void when TV shows like The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Supergirl, etc take a break.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll watch this once I get through the 200+ movies on my book shelf. I bought around 100 movies at Pawn America last month alone and hahaha oh god please help me.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    200 movies and you plan to watch them all before Jessica Jones? :eek: ^:)^

DVD or VHS? Combination of both?

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Guess who just got himself a Netflix account over the weekend? ;)

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

John Stamos?

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Welcome to purchasing something akin to a gym membership. You buy it thinking you're going to use the hell out of it, but you're lucky if you it more than once a month. :p

Seriously, I fought Netflix useful during rerun season. That's how I pretty much watched the entire series of Sons of Anarchy.

I just wish Netflix still had the 90s X-Men cartoons for streaming. From talking to younger fans of X-Men, some of them have said that the 90s cartoons was the gateway into the X-Men universe.

24. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Lucky to use Netflix more than once a month? I use Netflix daily! Doctor Who, Futurama, SHIELD, Frasier, Cheers, Lost -- thousands of episodes of outstanding television at my fingertips. No commercials, no waiting around for the show to start. And that's not even counting the films that are available. Netflix is a movie- and TV-lover's dream!

This post has been brought to you by Netflix.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, if you use Netflix that much, you definitely won't be using the gym membership. :p

For me, there's so many things to watch on TV that I need to watch as soon as possible to be part of the conversation the next day. I mean, Flash and Arrow new seasons start next week. Thus, Netflix gets pushed to the back burner for me. I've off and on with Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.