main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Jessica Jones

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 16, 2015.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I hope that's the case. I'll be watching as much as I can of the third and final season of Jessica Jones over the weekend.

I like what Kristen Ritter was able to bring to the character; sarcastic sass and a pocket full of melancholy.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just watched the first episode of season 3. Good start. My favorite part though was Captain America getting name dropped. :p

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    meant to watch 1st episode when it dropped at 3 AM but got distracted by youtube and booze which makes it one of the 1st and only Netflix shows I didn't watch episode 1 when it dropped. My Netflix app on my phone as yelling at me today too "Season 3 is up, dummy!" gonna watch ep 1 tonight.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I've watched 12 of the 13 episodes of this final third season of Jessica Jones. Like the previous season, Netflix/Marvel Entertainment didn't spend much on the series as there very minimal use of super powers and therefore effects.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It was a pretty good season overall and had a decent (although terribly tragic) resolution. Trish's arc was particularly powerful and although it's miles away from her comic book counterpart it felt true to the show's version of the character. She wants to be a hero so bad but underneath everything there's a fatal flaw drilled into her by her mother that leads to her downfall. When she finally realizes that she's the bad guy it's just heartbreaking. Really well done.

And I can't believe the Netflix shows are all over now. It doesn't feel so long ago that Daredevil season 1 premiered. :(

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    only watched episode 1 of season 3 but a bit of a mopey slog, though. opening scene was kinda fun but that was it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I watched the final episode to the final season of Jessica Jones.

I figured that this character would appear at some point in the series...
    Luke Cage's cameo was rather poignant as he talked about putting his brother in the Raft, which I'm sure help Jessica decision to go after Trish. I like that Cage was in his yellow mustard Hero of Harlem suit, which reminded me of Fisk. And as such...
    ... it's just too bad The Defenders didn't build up to fighting Wilson Fist. I mean, Fist could you have put together his team of bad guys for the Defenders to fight. Oh well.

Yeah, it felt like we got like 6 years of Marvel on Netflix, but it's been only 4 years. Daredevil was the best Marvel series on Netflix and The Defenders was basically season 2.5 of Daredevil since it completes the story arc/cliff hanger of season two.

Master_Lok and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught the first episode last night. Great start.

And a somewhat overt Sokovia Accords connection pretty early on.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    It's Patsy! It's Patsy!
    I really wanna be your friend!

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished Episode 4 last night. Still going strong.

"You fly here or something? You need a ride?"

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ritter likely won't be returning.

“Do I think I’ll play her again? I don’t think so. I feel like I’ve played her, you know? I feel really good about it. I feel good about closing the door.”
    Damn. Would have thought Jessica would be the easiest show to continue after the contract gap. But it really did hang on Ritter playing the role- and it'd be really difficult to see anyone else playing her now. But maybe time and/or money* and/or her future slate of projects will change her mind.

At least Rosenberg gives a vague out for the tiniest sliver of hope:

Series creator Melissa Rosenberg feels the same, saying: “I feel like this is a really complete, closed chapter. I mean, never say never. But I feel ready to tell all new stories.”
    *OK, maybe not money since Perlmutter is cheap ;).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After finishing episode 6 I was beginning to worry that, with an initial conclusion seemingly within reach, that the series might begin to fall into the same 2nd act lull/stretch that a lot of the Netflix shows have run into. Thankfully, after the end of episode 7 (“class dismissed”), they’ve managed to show there is more thematic material to justify it going longer. Here’s hoping that keeps up.

EDIT- Well, I hadn't planned on finish the season last night as I wanted to make this final season last as long as possible but I couldn't help myself and polished them off.

Really like the tragic arc of Trish and where that leads too (and good call using the helicopter needed to get prisoners to The Raft in such a way).

The season combined the best parts of the first two seasons (an actual villain to fight and a relative of Jessica's forcing her into more complex choices between good and bad) and was solid all the way through- even moreso than Season 1.

I found the final scene kinda confusing, though- I get that it's Head-Kilgrave talking to her but not sure the implications of where she's going now. Is she going somewhere other than Mexico now? Going back home (hopefully not, otherwise a lot of the final scenes would be rendered pointless)? I didn't see the ticket on the counter when she walked off so is she going to Mexico afterall?

It looks like this series runs concurrent to The Punisher mostly because it seems to span a wider amount of time where as PUN S2 was a shorter span. It starts off with people in light jackets and ends with folks in heavier wear- which would track since JJ S3 began filming before Punisher. Could be viewed before or after. Gonna have to double check some details before I revise my DEF timeline though.

Jessica: “What did you tell [the cops]?”
    Gillian: “That I’ve never personally seen you murder someone.”
    Jessica: “Thanks.”

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm pretty sure the implication is that Jessica has had second thoughts about giving up on Trish, so what we see at the end is her leaving the ticket behind and going back to rescue Trish from the Raft. At least, that was my reading of it. The relationship between Jessica and Trish has been such a fundamental part of the show that it seems like the best way to end it off.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    It's been a minute since I've seen the series finale to Jessica Jones, but my impression of the final scene was that...

Jessica left the bus ticket on the counter. Killgrave's voice reminded her to listen to her own voice and the scene signified that Jessica completed her journey to accepting herself as a superhero; completing her story arc. I mean, before Jessica crossed paths with Killgrave, she was on the path of becoming a superhero. There was that scene where Trish and Jess talked about getting a costume.

[​IMG]

However, since the Killgrave experience, Jessica became the reluctant hero. So, walking away from the bus ticket was Jessica realizing she does make a difference and wants to be a superhero.

The2ndQuest and Rew like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    :) Very interesting.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Still have the third season to finish.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yes, the ideal of Krysten Ritter reprising her role as Jessica Jones puts a smile on my face as well. Ritter does a wonderful job bringing this version of the alcoholic, snarky/glass half empty attitude and other rough edges Jessica Jones to life.

It would be no surprise if Kevin Feige announced the reprisal of the Netflix Marvel shows at this year's SDCC since Disney+ will always need new exclusive content, and these characters won't require a huge movie budget to produce. I hope a Defenders Disney+ series redeems the team and becomes a more integral part of the MCU proper.

Rew likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm confused. So I clicked on the link and it doesn't tell me why they changed the name other than "it was the original name when it was being developed by ABC". Otherwise, who the **** cares? Like what is the real reason? They changed the name so they can create a new Jessica Jones series? IMO, it kind of sounds like bad news for Ritter. Like here's the new Jessica Jones (insert new actress name here) and please enjoy this other series staring Krysten Ritter Also Known As Jessica Jones.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I thought the same thing too, but it turned out the speculative "reason" is after some of the big advertisement you have to scroll down pass...

Here's what the article mentions:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, that speculative reason also doesn't make sense to me. Here's a new show where Krysten Ritter will be playing the part of "CrackerJack Smith" who is "also know as" "Jessica Jones".

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    the "AKA" was just a reference to Alias (her first comic series), I believe...

nilzo antonio likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think they changed it because that’s what they originally wanted to call it before Netflix shortened it. I would love for Ritter to come back but I think it’s really stretching it to say it means anything more.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, I could see Disney+ changing up all the Netflix Marvel series. I mean, Daredevil, The Man Without Fear, or is a plausible title for a Disney+ series to make a distinction or new starting point from the Netflix series.

Additionally, the "it's all connected" promo material on Disney+'s Instagram looks pretty cool.

I would like to think that this bulletin board is being put together by Kingpin or some other villain. One speculation that it's Echo and a plot thread in the Echo series.