main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Loki [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    ^ Alas, the cereal and Marshmellow shapes did not change. So it’s just a new box.:(

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, would have been nice to have a Tesseract in there.

4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    It a lot cheaper to just print up some different boxes than it is to re-tool a production line which is what it would have taken for new shapes for everything. They'd also have to do quality control testing for how different shaped cereal cooks up on an industrial scale.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So put your little hand in mine

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I know...but if you’re only going half way, it’s disappointing.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Good first episode. Hiddleston was really good. But...
    Don’t tell the Avengers that the TVA literally has so many Infinity Stones they use some of them as paperweights. They’re gonna be so pissed. :p

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    strong Rick and Morty vibes, I appreciated it. Infinity stone paperweight one liner was amazing. "You can smell two Tony Starks" And I thought Moebius was going to show Loki his Thanos death but him watching it alone was even more dramatically powerful

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Honestly the Infinity Stones was a fun gag but I bet it has a bigger purpose in the series. Up until that moment Loki thought the TVA was a joke but here he sees just how powerful they are and he immediately starts cooperating with Mobius afterward. He’s planning something.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well that was all kinds of interesting.

Oh look, a Mephisto misdirection. I wonder if perhaps they'll use Mephisto Easter Eggs as a denial/misdirection to the point of "ha ha another not gonna be Mephisto thingy" and then at some point it does turn out to have been Mephisto all along.

I liked the Infinity Stones gag, but also want some sort of explanation as to how they do or do not work in the TVA. I mean really, can one TVA Minute Man show up outside the TVA and smack Thanos around while he wears the Gauntlet? I don't care for that.

So, this Variant Loki hunts what, his future Variant self who agreed to help and is up to something?

I effing love that he was DB Cooper.

Ghost, Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  11. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Wow, mind blown.

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly, I think this just had the best premiere of the three shows so far. I'm digging this.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Very good first episode, albeit more set-up than action.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    There is no Mephisto; only Loki.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While in a time travel facility: "What? Do a lot of people not know if they are robots?"

My reaction: "WHAT DID YOU DO, COULSON?!" [face_laugh]

Oh, and after Loki said "Small comfort to a deadman" or whatever it was, I almost half-expected Moebius to throw in an offhand "Oh, he didn't die, but that's another story. What I want to know is..." ;).

As for the Infinity Stones- they do raise questions. I assume they are not used by TVA agents because TVA agents were created by the Timekeepers (or whatever they were called) and, thus, act on their behalf and would not use the AU paperweights in the sacred timeline, as doing so would create variants and/or eventually have to be reset by the TVA to snip those branches. Since the TVA isn't big on free will, one assumes that for a TVA agent to do something like that, a Timekeeper would have to go rogue in order to allow it...and, presumably, if that ends up being your problem, some extra Infinity Stones are probably not your biggest problem at that moment.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Whoa. This show is off to a fantastic start. Owen Wilson is pitch perfect doing what he does best as a chilled out low key foil to Loki.

The visuals are excellent. I had a few laugh out loud moments from surprising gags.

Is this show every Wednesday now?

Jedi Merkurian and Bilbo Fett like this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    First episode ... as a setup for what may come, really really good. And then there's the music. If you liked the synth elements in the Captain Marvel score ... this is some very delicious jam.

Out there prediction from just the one episode time:

There is no one "sacred timeline". All of them are sacred in their own right.

The Multiverse War was instigated by the Timekeepers themselves. They ain't no kind of good guys.

DarthIntegral, Ghost and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Correct. Loki on Wed, Bad Batch on Fridays. D+ trying to expand out their content drops presumably to both give their shows each more room to breathe in the spotlight and to spread out bandwidth hits.

19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Evil Loki's reveal at the end was shot just like the David reveal in Alien: Covenant. Maybe we'll see some David/Walter type interplay...

Also, I loved the animated lore dump flashback stuff here. Miss Minutes made for a great host, the hand-drawn animation was gorgeous, and it taps into that realm of wacky cosmic oddities that make up the core of what I actually really like about Marvel stuff when it is firing on all cylinders.

The TVA itself with its retro-futurism design is also something I'm really loving.

20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Very good first episode
    The infinity stone scene was great
    The humor is on spot
    Would have been great if there were a sarcastic comment on Coulson that Loki failed as well on killing him.
    Anyway, can't wait for more

21. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Seeing Loki go from ...

"I am Loki, burdened with glorious purpose." to the everyman frustrations of traffic court .... only to realize the death penalty for running the stop sign was waiting for him on the other end was ... yeah.

22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Also, loved seeing Josh Fadem (of Better Call Saul and Twin Peaks: The Return) in here!

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    There is a concept in fantasy fiction that some characters are outside the effects of magic. Usually these are a character or group specially imbued by some older past or history. This makes them a step removed from other characters reality and troubles. It also renders even the most powerful magical object useless. So they regard that object only for its basic physical properties not for any greater power.

It’s like Tom Bombadil in Lord of the Rings. The One Ring had no effect on Tom. I believe that is because he was from an earlier time - one of the very few beings from that long ago age still in Middle Earth. His magic is from a different time and the Ring can’t reach him. To Tom the One Ring is little more than what it’s made of. His reaction to seeing it and putting it on is slight amusement at how such a meaningless bit of metal can be so important to the world.

I think TVA works the same way. The infinity stones just don’t have meaningful power there. They either have other ways of doing much more powerful things, or they can undo their magic, or Infinity stones have no power. What the MCU spent 20+ movies fighting over are no more special or useful than a paper weight. I was going to say glass marbles, but you can play a game with those.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, just watching all the retro details in the end credits really makes you appreciate the aesthetic details.

Also worth noting- Miss Minutes is voiced by modern Harley Quinn herself, Tara Strong!

I was pondering more the notion posited earlier that someone from the TVA (or someone brought to the TVA who managed to escape) could just have opened a drawer and stepped out to stop Thanos if they were so inclined.

I agree that the stones must not affect the TVA or work in their realm since it's outside of space and time, seemingly, and the stones are tied to governing the forces of the universe, not the multiverse.

25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    The Infinity Gems attract trouble. They are probably a flashpoint for constant time line disruptions. So a large amount of the TVA’s work gets delicates to cleaning up after the gems. Duplicate gems just pile up.