main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Luke Cage

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Dec 4, 2015.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Mr. Fish was in the second season. He's the guy that fights Misty and Colleen at the bar.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm halfway through and really enjoying Season 2. Good pickup in pace and story, and a great cast.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I finished season two over the weekend. I found it to be the proverbial page turner, especially when Bushmaster makes his appearance. He has such an onscreen presence and is charismatic. Misty Knight is given alot to do in this season, and her character development helps the narrative and move the story along.

The second half of season two is much better than the first half, as Bushmaster becomes a more integral part of the story. However, at times, I had a hard time making out the words from the Jamaican accents.

No real mention of The Defenders, but there's Misty noting have her right arm and other references to things that happen in The Defenders. Not to mention the good amount of coffee.

I thought it was pretty cool when Colleen Wing appeared to help Misty and we see a glimpse for the potential of Daughters of the Dragon. Especially in the bar scene. Although, Wing's martial arts was a bit off. It didn't seem a fluid or fast as it was in Iron Fist or The Defenders.

Danny Rand's appearance was also cool. Here's characterization is much better here than in Iron Fist and continues the progression of his character from The Defenders. It certainly plays into the "Power Man and Iron Fist" thing. Additionally, there's actually pretty good chemistry between the two characters. I hope to see Luke Cage crossover into season two of Iron Fist.

Karen Page only appeared as a name drop. That was a bummer. But it was nice to see Foggy.

This season reminded me of Sons of Anarchy because of the turf wars, gangs and illegal activities. And it really kicks when Alfre Woodard's character, Black Mariah, is given more to do and more of past gets revealed. And Shades is a great supporting character to Mariah.

The Luke Cage fanboy guy, was funny and added the right amount of comic relief.

I felt betrayed as DW at the end when Cage becomes the King of Harlem and takes over Harlem's Paradise. And not to mention he doesn't want to see Claire.

Other than that, the ending was pretty satisfying. And the season worth watching.

BigAl6ft6 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow, that sure was a season finale.

Really good season. It's both a straightforward continuation of the first season and a pretty successful attempt at making us forget the mediocre second half of that first season.

I might even bite the bullet and finish watching Defenders.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that would be a good way to forget that you ever saw something you thought was good.

Ender Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Okay, what about Jessica Jones S2?

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Saving you the trouble, @tom.

tom likes this.
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'll have to take your word for it. i mostly liked the netflix marvel stuff until iron fist, but that and the defenders were so dire that i haven't been able to bring myself to watch anything that has come out since. i might eventually, daredevil season 3 might suck me back in and dave's positive review of luke cage s2 has me more interested in that than i was. i just need more time lol.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I finished Defenders anyway and wow, that was worse than I expected.

Don't worry, @tom. 2 Luke 2 Cage has nothing to do with that mess.

tom, Sith_Sensei__Prime and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes Luke Cage 2 manages to be as good as Daredevil Season 1 was. The Punisher was not bad, per se, but he spent a lot of time not punishing people and instead re-revisiting his Daredevil origin story.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The technical term for Mr. Fish is "Most Frightful Villain Ever".

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't think the majority of people would like season two of Jessica Jones because it's not a super hero story, and the title character rarely does any super hero stuff. It's mostly focuses on Jessica's internal conflicts. There are very few highlights or things that would resonate from season two. One of them for me was discovering why Jessica wears that leather jacket in the middle of a New York summer. There's a flashback to where Jessica gets that jacket and why she's attached to it.

As for The Defenders, there are some positives to it, as it serves as Daredevil season 2.5. Everything that leads up to the team ending up in the Chinese restaurant was good, and everything that happened in that restaurant was equally good. The final act of The Defenders is completes the lingering questions at the end of Daredevil season two, but it just isn't a good or satisfying ending. However, it does set up season three of Daredevil, at least that's what I'm expecting.

EDIT: A lesser known fact related to the character of Luke Cage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Just started Season 2......I can't say i'm excited but the villain seems promising.

My theory on:

Judas Bullet: poor imitation version, inferior quality of bullet?

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Interesting theory. That's my thought too.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just watched 2:1 , seems like the same thing over again .

DebonaireNerd likes this.
  16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought this was a much more consistent season than the first. Bushmaster was an excellent villain, and the acting across the board was very good.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Pretty much this.

As I was watching last night, it didn't feel like an episode to setup a new season but rather the epilogue of Season 1.

Sure, JJS2 had a slow start but with that show you at least got the sense that the characters were in a different place to where we saw them last.

Whereas, with Luke Cage, all we have is:

- Luke is still....Luke. Selling a tonne of merchandise but....still Luke

- Shakes and Mariah are buying into the plastics industry....YAY

- Misty misses her arm

- New criminal on the block

- Luke connects with his Father

That is seriously it. [face_plain]

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ok, episode 2 is a little more promising.

In fact, i'd go as far as saying that episode 1 is completely erasable because all you would need to is insert the following into the pre-credits sequence of the second episode:

Luke getting shot with the judas bullet. Everything that happens in the previous episode is self-explanatory in this episode.

Apart from that, the first episode was nothing but filler.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope we get eleven more posts of you putting together the great puzzle of storytelling.

Diggy and soitscometothis like this.
  20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I know you weren't being sarcastic which is exactly why I will give you what you want.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I really can't argue that Luke Cage doesn't change much in the first episode of season two from that last episode of season one. But IIRC, the people of Harlem are changed with the arrival of Luke Cage. It's like Gotham getting Batman, where the people feel a little safer and have someone to admire. I mean, the people are taking selfies with Cage and tagging him, creating a easy way to find Cage. And of course, the arrival of Luke Cage as a crime fighter doesn't sit well with members of the police, much like Batman's arrival in Gotham.

I thought Bushmaster's arrival was great too as it was a "sit down and be humble" moment for Luke Cage; especially coming off of the Judas bullet thing.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    There's an awful lot of swearing isn't there .

23. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, I loved Nick Colter in MIB3 and and The Good Wife, so I should watch the TV adaptation of Nicholas Coppola’s namesake.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the best "Sweet Christmas" in Luke Cage Season 2 has to be when Bushmaster pulls a grenade on him. The Godfather ending was cool but I find it reallly hard to believe that Luke is going to go full evil mastermind but I can see him getting messy but Luke is just inherently good so there's some drama but not a lot cuz you know he'll make the right choice. Like him sending away Clarie could mean he went Ice Cold or he just wants her out of the wretched hive of scum and villany.

Did not see Black Marriah's death coming, that was really unexpected. Well, somewhat. I saw Alfie Woodard was added to a new show as a castmember so I thought "she's either in prison or dead" in Season 2. Turns out they did both! Anyway, Shades popping his buddy mid sentence and his whole revealing the secret origin of Luke Cage under oath was aces. I even liked the Iron Fist crossover episode, I just think the contrast between Danny and Luke is great and they have good chemistry. Also Misty is supposed to pop up in Iron Fist Season 2 so maybe we'll get an update on Luke's nightclub managing days are going.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I stopped putting this off and got around to watching it. Really, just echoing what others have said, it was good.

I did think it was maybe 2-3 episodes too many. Or perhaps I just don't like that every episode has to be an hour.

Anyway, onto Iron Fist...