main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Runaways [Hulu/D+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by cerealbox, Jul 20, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In a weird coincidence, Runaways airs on Showcase in Canada, in it's entirety. The week of the Cloak and Dagger premiere, the 2 part premiere aired on Showcase in Canada. For only one episode. The rest of it was still on ABC Family in Canada. So there's something strange going on with networks teasing either one pilot episode of Runaways or one pilot episode of Cloak and Dagger across boarders.

If we dig deeper into this, we'll probably uncover the secrets of the MCU (ie. what happened to Ed Norton and Terrance Howard).

But speaking of Runaways, where's my season 2, dangit? Last season premiered in Nov so probably aiming for that.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They were filming season 2 as of June so that would track if they released the second season around Nov. Keep in mind that we didn't even get an official teaser trailer for the first season until about a month before it premiered.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 2 hits December 21st.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    gaakkk, my winter/ midseason TV listing is going to make my head explode

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 2 trailer:

Will probably end up binging both seasons together sometime next year.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I can't watch that trailer as of right now because I have yet to see season one.

I'll probably binge both season during the Christmas holiday.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer:

Healer_Leona likes this.
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Spoilers for all of season 2.

I'm pretty sure I know where the fourth Gibbmorrum went.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    only watched 2 eps of Season 2 but it was great to see them again with some solid quips "We are the worst at running away" and interesting to see Karolina chat with whatchamicallit. definitely be taking my time with this season so looking forward to where it goes. Just the scene where they find their hideout was great.

Also I'm totally calling this Chase / Gert twitter as canon

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Minor timeline question for those who watched season 2: I see that the first season ends around xmas. Does the second season pick up right where the first ends? Or does there seem to a passage of time of a week or more? And, if there isn't a passage of time between seasons, does it seem like a week's worth of events has taken place during the course of the 2nd season?

Just trying to figure out if I should classify the second season as 2017 or 2018 events.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  11. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    The first episode takes place one day after the end of the first season. I've only seen this season once, but I think just a couple weeks have taken place during the first two seasons.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we officially have more seasons of Runaways than Agent Carter :p.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    good thing too because the final episode ended with probably a dozen cliffhangers so nice to see it resolved.

Finished the season and I did enjoy it that they're full Runaways now and the new home base was cool. I felt the middle of the season with Jonah's Big Spaceship reveal was great it felt like a season finale right at episode 7. Great line in that episode is when Chase says "So there's a Death Star underground in Compton?" and Alex goes "Well, the Death Star is an orbital battle station but bonus points for trying". Jonah was a very cool bad guy although with him as the top bad guy, the Pride themselves got punted to second tier so that's probably why they bumped off Jonah in the middle of the season. Shame to lose Julian McMahon, though cuz he's great but the "new" Jonah was cool. And we got Xavin showing up who was a Skrull in the original comics but is a different shapeshifter species here.

I did find it to be a possible close MCU connection is when Nico went Dark Magic her eyes turned to look like the baddies in Doctor Strange. Apparently, her mom's namesake is one of the nameless bad guys in Doctor Strange and you see the Staff of One in Doctor Strange at the China sanctum so they may follow closer on a connection with that in Season 3.

I don't know if 9 months pass in Season 1-2 because the Random Pregnancy at the end of the season felt like it came out of nowhere due to being an alien baby.

anyway best reaction bit all season was this conversation Chase and Alex had with the girls weighing in

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Decided to finally to start this one. Figure I'll balance things out by chipping away at this between TFATWS episodes. Eventually want to hit Helstrom's single season as well, just to see if it still fits inside the MCU or not, since it's status is kind of borderline. Anyways, keeping expectations in-check and mainly looking forward to the Cloak & Dagger cross over in the final season and how the Darkhold factors into things so I can better mentally place its journey from AOS to WV. Side note: weird that Season 2 is three episodes longer than Seasons 1 and 3, no?

So far have only watched the first episode and it's pretty stereotypical teenage stuff for the most part, but there's certainly a mutants-but-not-mutants aspect to some of the characters that lets some of that slide a little (and the girl getting super strength at puberty and her joyous reaction to discovering her powers is flat-out an X-Men concept). It being sort of a Breakfast Club-like group of friends that knew each other first, before separating into their isolated cliques following a tragedy and then having to come back together isn't a bad angle, either.

However, as it is so far, it definitely feels the least mature of all the Marvel TV projects (and certainly of all the so-called "Marvel Knights" subset of street-level shows)- below the far-more nuanced and mature Cloak & Dagger. I never read the original run of Runaways comics (though I am aware of the general storyline and inciting premise) but did read the run from when Whedon took over, so I am curious to see if any of that ends up making its way into the series.

EDIT 1- Episode 2 was a big improvement. The change in POV and the focus on the parents' conspiracy gave the proceedings some much needed weight. Looking forward to the next episode and can at least say that one should not judge the series based on the first episode alone and that one should, instead, give the series at least this second episode before deciding on whether to continue on or not. Though I am open to extending that determination to additional episodes.

Timeline-wise, though I was aware of some of these details before when working on the first version of my timeline that I uploaded, it's interesting to see these details fall into place that lock the series into December 2017:

-For starters, one of the main characters is seen playing Battlefront (a game that came out towards the end of 2015) and his playing log shows that his friend has not been online for 2 years (thus, late 2017 is the earliest it could have been set, with early/mid-2018 being the latest due to the Snap).

-The church lady's appointment calendar that her husband skims through shows "today" as December 8th (which would make both episodes 1 & 2 set on that date), and the month's formatting of what dates fall on which days conforms to the calendar of December 2017. Though, weirdly, the final line seems to have a graphics error in it: the final line shows the 30th, 31st, (Jan) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 29th.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Onto Episode 5 and I'm really enjoying the series so far. As much I love the trance-like feel of Cloak and Dagger more, I think this series, so far, has been more snappier. The bullet-stopping scene was also much cooler than the similar scene in WandaVision.

I do hope they do more with that cocoon mask in the future though- it going completely away right away following the total rejuvenation was a little anti-climactic. Especially since the design holds such potential for a villain mask.

Also worth noting that this show, in the span of 3 episodes, has given us more dinosaur than all of Iron Fist gave us dragon. Hell, technically, any one episode of the last three episodes of Runaways has given us more Dino than IF did dragon.

I was happy to find out there were score and soundtrack releases for the show, too. The one thing CAD was missing was a title theme.

EDIT- Episode 6- Stan! :D What a nice surprise. I think that's only the third Marvel TV cameo he's done in person. CAD had only a painting on the wall and the Defenders only used him in one of their promos.

EDIT 2- So, the last stretch of the season has a lot of good and some bad. I like how they’ve been developing/unwinding the Pride (though some more than others). There was a sense of some water treading with the kids (waiting for the laptop to decode the video, then having to wait for the phone to charge) even as it moves other elements forward.

There was a nice “assemble” moment confronting the parents at the dig site, but then the finale kinda just goes nowhere. I mean, I get that it’s them coming to terms with having to become the titular runaways and that we also kinda get the breaking of the Pride, but the rescue mission seemed unnecessary and the final moments feel more like a penultimate episode rather than a finale.

If I didn’t know that there wasn’t already a second season, I’d find it very disappointing (especially after really enjoying the rest of the season). Thankfully there is snd hopefully the 1st & 2nd will pair together well as a whole.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

And I'm back! Jumping back in where I left off last spring with episode 3 of Season 2. So far the structure of the show has made accommodating the long gaps between viewings fairly easy. I'm liking the overall details of the season, with the new "base", them expanding their powers, etc. Some threads are dragging a little (the romance with the daughter of his father's former associate, for instance) but I like that we're getting a more balanced, active look at what the parents are doing and that they're not being left distant to maintain the mystery of their threat, or kept minimized to give the kids more time.

Trying to make this a background show to track at times- something that is very difficult as I seemingly lost the ability to let shows be background sometime around 2003-2004. I blame the advent of Tivo for that.

EDIT- Episode 4, "It's gonna work."
    "How do you know?"
    "Because it has to."

Some Endgame vibes there, coincidental though it may be.

Not digging the Topher subplot or how he was introduced.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Pretty cool that they got him to do a cameo, wasn't really expecting it.

BTW maybe it would make sense to update thread title to reflect the fact that now it's on Disney+ also?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like it has been taken care of!

And, yeah, this is not a place I would have expected them to get a Stan cameo in, given that he's only done ones for 2.5 other TV shows.

Thena likes this.