main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Punisher

Discussion in 'Community' started by DebonaireNerd, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It comes up after the fade to black, so...

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    That final scene at the end of S2 was a loathsome and regressive end an otherwise respectable two seasons.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am one of those people yelling for Moon Knight. If any Marvel character needs a hard R show or movie; it’s MK.

As far as this Punisher, haven’t seen it. But I hope someone else tries Frank along the way. The right actor and storyline could be excellent.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Punisher does regress and goes into blind killer rage a lot which happens in the show. Like he tells the girl that he found something that made him happy at the bus station, or when he found the bartender at the start of Season 2 for some happiness and then at the end of the 1st episode, and 3 months later at the end of the season, he's back to killing goons and going nuts. Same thing that when Frank thought he killed those girls he accepted it as very possible because he was in a blood rampage trying to kill Billy. He was straight up ready to die because he knew it's possible he could lose control.

One of the series most important moments to me is in Season 1 when Frank is getting beaten up and sees a vision of his wife who calls him to the other side and he looks at her and doesn't leave, goes back to the real world, murders the hell out of the guy torturing him. So he does find moments of peace and acceptance and then later his switch flips because he is The Punisher. Double barrel hollering of gunning down crooks.

the Stan Lee dedication card was ill timed at best, though. And Stan Lee didn't write The Punisher, he was off Amazing Spider-Man at that point. Gerry Conway was the writer, I believe. Stan was the editor in chief for Punisher's first appearance, though.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They have the right actor for Frank. The story line wasn’t too shabby, either. You should porbably watch it.

Master_Lok and The2ndQuest like this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I wasn't too enthused by what little I saw of Jon's performance, but perhaps if it's available for rent on something other than Netflix, I may give a look.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I posted this in the "what are you watching" thread, but it should probably go here.

Finally got around to watching Season 1 and 2. Wow. The first season was so...just so many feels. It was fantastic all around, though I didn't much care for that Louis kid's plot. I mean, i liked how to season covered so many different aspects of war and its ramifications on people and politics.

It was a very intelligently written season imo. And I found myself eager for the violence of the final confrontation, for the making of Jigsaw.

Season 2, however, was a "flustercuck" of highs and lows. It was kind of all over and abandoned a cohesive, cunning story for gratuitous violence. The Jigsaw stuff was all well done. I'm not sure what to make of the blackmail plotline, but Ben Barnes delivered an outstanding performance imo.

Curtis once again gets pummeled for being an idiot in his fights. I did miss David, though. I think he and Frank had some good back and forth in season 1.

I guess I was also hoping for a bit more one on one closure between Frank and Jigsaw (the latter's character kept begging for it--but it seemed like the writers forgot about that thread in the mess of all the other plots).

Doctor Dumont's odd approach to therapy wasn't expected at all. I've taken advantage of provided therapy sessions before, but never did they get sensual. :p

Props to Agent Madani as well. For a supporting character, she was very well written throughout both seasons, her arc always compelling and heartfelt. Great performance there as well.

And Frank. There just isn't a better fit actor for this role. Intense performance throughout. The Punisher really should invest in Batman or Daredevil style armor though. The guy spends most of season 2 covered in his own blood. Like jeez, even some basic sparring armor would have helped a bit. How is his entire body not just one internal hemorrhage?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I really didn't like season two all that much. It certainly wasn't the direction I though it would go. I posted before that I hope the second season would pick up shortly after Frank was broke out of prison in season two of Daredevil. Season two was like a very poor man's version of Logan, where Frank retires skull on his chest and wants to move one. There were a few bits and pieces I did enjoy though but to be totally cliche, they were too few and far between.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not quite Logan though- it's more that his business was finished and he tried to move on, not him trying to "hang up the claws" because he wasn't quite full-on Punisher yet. These events make him realize he can't take on a normal life anymore and he fully assumes the mantle.

It's more part of his completed origin arc than a "pulled out of retirement" scenario.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    How do Punisher Seasons 1 and 2 relate to Daredevil Season 2? Do they both take place after DD S2?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And they all take place after Avengers?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah. Everything up to The Defenders on Netflix is between Winter Soldier and Civil War. The rest (including Punisher S2) are set between Civil War and Ragnarok.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well that is useful to know.

And SHIELD dips in and out of the plot, referencing Civil War in season 3 and Infinity War when they get back from space.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The strongest ties to the Punisher seasons 1 and 2 to Daredevil season 2 relies within Karen Page and her commitment to helping Frank. Again, I was hoping there were more ties to Frank and Kingpin as referenced in the scene below where Kingpin talks about needing Frank in the "long game" and "winning the war," but there were really none to be found.

The other ties between the Punisher seasons and season two of Daredevil revolve around the day Frank's family was murdered at the carousel.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.