main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's WandaVision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 3, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So in the show it seems people have moments of awareness

Almost like they're under a spell or "enchantment". "Geraldine" seemed to snap out of it momentarily, when she said "What was that?" at the stork squaking she dropped the jive talking accent, or the Ultron reference. (I think she was sent in undercover so see what happened and then got caught in the magic, now that she's thrown out she can be normal again) Or the moment when when the Doctor said it's so hard to escape small towns. Or when Herb was cutting the hedges and didn't notice the fence, he's zoned out. And a few other bits of let's say "awakening" scattered throughout. I think Wanda is way into the sitcom tropes and has moments when reality can crash in so she resets it so it can go back to being perfect.

The notion that everyone is dead is unique. Maybe Wanda did it and is trying to give everyone happiness as penance. It's been awhile since I've read House of M, but that was Vision's death caused Wanda to snap and create a alternate reality so while this isn't House of M, I think it's taking that broad strokes plot.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Or everyone
    is dead
    in real time but this
    "other" Westview
    is a twisted multiverse that Wanda entered. And going back and forth can really mess you up (hence the Multiverse of Madness concept.)

Just as the infinity stones and the Quantum Realm were ultimately the key elements prior to this, the multiverse created from them is the key element in the next phase. They all have to deal with the consequences of having defeated Thanos in the way they did as well as Steve Rogers really screwing things up by living out his life from the past.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It's definitely possible that

Wanda is in another reality and so are they.
    I'm thinking of Agents of SHIELD season 6 where May 'died' but in the reality she died in,she couldn't stay dead and was therefore 'undead'

The thing I keep going back to is how Mrs. Hart sounded like she was telling someone to knock it off. "Stop it" "Stop it". And maybe it is because Debra Jo played a nurse in That 70s Show, but I just keep picturing her as a nurse trying to calm Wanda down in a mental hospital. And Mr. Hart, I keep picturing as a doctor who got too close trying to get through to Wanda (so she choked him).

The big thing with Episode 1 is time. We don't know how long Wanda has been in this reality or how she got there. But we can presume by everything happening that it was relatively quick.

Episode 2 is the arrival of Geraldine/Monica and we seem to get that tip off with both the scraping the night before and the plane Wanda finds in the bushes. Did Monica crash land at that moment? And that is why she appears at the gathering with no idea how she arrived (very similar to how Wanda and Vision seemed to act when they realized how little they could remember in Episode 1).

With Episode 3, what is the significance of Herb cutting the wall? What was he seeing/doing that made him do that? Was that a subtle attempt at escape or showing how he was a 'zombie' controlled by Wanda's power? And since her powers were focused on the twins and the birth, maybe he and others like Agnes, started to have realizations of what was happening.Obviously the doctor did, realizing he could never leave for Bermuda. Convenient how his car would not start.

There is definitely someone keeping them all trapped. But is it Wanda? Or, is Wanda being used as the tool that keeps them there?

And we are three episodes in and Ralph has not appeared. Who is Ralph really?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

I think they have to have been there for not too long. While them arriving in the title sequence could just be backstory, episode 1 has multiple references to things being recent like Agnes introducing herself and commenting on how Wanda got the move done by herself (suggesting they just moved in), Wanda not having her and Visions' backstory yet, not having rings, etc. It feels like the details of the reality are being established during that episode. That would also match with Wanda and the status quo being in the most control, but now chaos theory keeps opening up cracks the further the "simulation" is running.

Ghost and Yodaminch like this.
  5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    My wife immediately noticed that Agnes was riding a bike. I wondered why that was so important and she brought up the fact that it was
    just like the Wicked Witch of the West riding the bike in Wizard of Oz. It was a very similar looking bike.

Perhaps with the leaked set photos of
    Kathryn Hahn and others dressed like witches, they are all former witches in other realms, some maybe who even died in the Salem witch hunts.
    Maybe SWORD and/or whoever is monitoring all of this have stumbled upon a massive energy field that is actually some sort of
    portal to the dead....er.....hell
    By the way do we really have to keep
    hiding our own crazy theories in spoiler tags even though they may not even being close to true?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If your theory is using information from the most recent episode, yes, you do have to tag them. Tagging details from the trailer would be a courtesy but not required.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Spoiler period is two weeks, right? So first two weeks are under tag?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With TV shows we usually wait until the next episode- though we've made exceptions in some cases where we shorten it to that weekend or what have you. WV is a slow enough of a burn that I don't think we need to shorten it- best to give folks a chance to watch it just to be safe.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I gotta say that this isn't doing anything for me so far . it's not really a spoof, its not funny. Sure I'm interested to know what's really going on but I'm not intrigued by what they're doing .

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    See, but we find it hilarious over here. I appreciate your willingness to acknowledge it's not funny to you (this is an enlightened position on the interwebs!), so I wonder how much of this is the humor is rooted in the shows they're lovingly recreating-to-spoof... like how familiar people are with the shows and/or television at the time, and does that make it more or less funny, etc. For instance, I was cackling at them making fun of the:
    "How to hide a woman's pregnancy with large clothing and objects in front of her midsection" trope in this episode. No one did it better, or funnier, than Brooklyn Nine Nine, but this was a game effort.

I still suspect that the shows may be significant, but maybe not in a "It's a Good Life" (The Twilight Zone) way -- though that was definitely the vibe of the last show.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're also intentionally playing the sitcom angle more or less straight- it's not meant to be a spoof of them. It's playing directly into the style of humor those shows of those eras actually had- which is far more difficult (especially performance-wise) than making a parody of them. The recreated details just fill everything else out around that to complete the homage/imitation.

The downside is that it's ability to connect on that level is then entirely dependent on the viewer's preferences in terms of shows from those eras. If you never enjoyed the style or humor of old timey sitcoms (or appreciate them in the context of what they used to be), a faithful recreation of them isn't going to change that.

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Well I'm pretty familiar with Lucy and Bewitched etc. and liked them , but this doesn't make me laugh.

I recall watching Moonlighting when they did The Honeymooners and that was great.

Sarge likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure what to say then- I found those first two episodes legitimately funny within those styles. Episode 3 less so (then again, never found Brady Bunch funny even as a kid, so that tracks), though the stork bit was amusing.

FLOURISH! [:D]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like the humor in this a lot, but it’s mostly because of the two actors chemistry, I loved the magic show in the second episode, Flourish lol

But honestly I’m not familiar with most of the shows they are trying to emulate at all, my grandmother watched a lot of I Love Lucy, so I watched a lot of that as a kid, but I don’t know that I would recognize any specific call backs to that.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't think you need any specific knowledge to get what they're going for here. It's far more a general tone or style, which is pretty well known.

16. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I am not a fan of those type of sitcoms, but I can deal with these as a pastiche of those sitcoms because I know that there is an underlying mystery bubbling away just under the surface.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For me, part of the mystery is why they're taking place in such settings?

Yodaminch likes this.
  18. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    That’s a good point, I’ve been basically assuming all the sitcom aspects are just for us, the audience, but maybe an in-universe explanation will be given

Even if it’s just Wanda and Pietro watched a lot of American television growing up in Sokovia

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know if it was here but someone speculated that that might be how she learned English in the past and/or refined her accent after coming stateside.

20. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, that would make sense, my grandmother learned English similarly, she always had an accent though

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I've seen it mentioned somewhere, I can't recall where atm, but after Wanda joined the Avengers Nat told her that there would be times in the field when her accent would be a liability and told her to watch old sitcoms to hone her American accent. Remember Nat herself was a Russian born spy herself so she had to do the same thing for the same reason.

22. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    WandaVision, it's 99% an exact replication of hacky bad sitcoms from decades ago with something interesting hinted at for 30 seconds.

EDIT: @The2ndQuest Yeah my issue is that I was never a huge fan of the shows that they've recreated. Sure I watched them as a kid but it was because nothing else was on so to sit through three episodes created in style that I've never especially liked is a bit of slog.

I wish there was more of a balance, where they included more non-old timey sitcom moments. The parts where they break from the old sitcom format are the best/most interesting and are what have been keeping me watching. I hope they ramp that up.

I'm starting have flashbacks to Twin Peaks: The Return where I spent the whole season dying for Cooper to come back and then he doesn't really come back until what, the last episode? Ugh...

23. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    There's been some potential Doctor Strange references but we may have gotten an Ant-Man nod as well.

Ep. 3 was certainly based on The Brady Bunch. From the set to the layout and graphics in the opening. Butt the opening song ... that was evoking The Partridge Family intro music. That song was used in the Ant-Man and the Wasp soundtrack. That movie was the first MCU entry to explore the Quantum Realm with any sort of depth.

A stretch? Maybe ...

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I watched Brady Bunch in re-runs. I never really watched Bewitched and certainly not any shows from the 50's. I was never really a sitcom person at all. The only sitcom I watched pretty much religiously was MASH. But I am ALL about the intrigue of this show. I'm not looking for laughs from this. I read into every line given for clues. For me, it's a redemption of having labored through LOST with absolutely no conclusion, knowing that this is Feige we're talking about and he will deliver.

But I also know that not every single clue will factor into what is actually going on. Many are tributes to different things in the comics, meant to create discussion. And since there is SO much comic lore in the Marvel world and all sorts of viewers with different levels of knowledge, they can throw in anything and get people to talk.

I still really think that one of the biggest clues of all is the
    bones and helmet shown in a microsecond during the episode 2 cartoon intro
    . Those were specifically made to be hidden. Not saying that
    the Grim Reaper is the villain, but I think those things represent death and may be a clue that they are all dead. Maybe the entire town was destroyed and everyone died BUT SWORD is picking up life forms there behind the purple magnetic field thingy.

Whatever is going on, I feel pretty confident that it will not be nearly as complicated or convoluted as many of us think. Also, while there will probably end up being a connection to comic lore, it won't contain so many layered elements as suggested by the plethora of hints and Easter eggs. It IS nice to know this show has a finite end that doesn't go on and on indefinitely and also DOES feed in somewhat directly into a major motion picture.Safe to say the whole thing was planned start to finish just as most of the Marvel films are (unlike, ehem, the most recent movies from something else we all love).

25. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I feel the opposite. I think it's going to be nearly impossible to make a compelling explanation for all of the variables that have been presented.

nilzo antonio likes this.