main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's WandaVision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 3, 2020.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh please don't remind me... [face_sick]

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that had to come from a secondary source because it's not in the films or shows thus far. Maybe one of the intro comics?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    That's probably fanon (fandom made theories/head canon for the uninitiated), because I've seen the "Nat tells Wanda to lose the accent," story come up a lot in fanfiction.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I will not stand for this Twin Peaks slander! Dougie Jones is the best.

And the payoff was pretty perfect, too. Cooper's "What year is this?" followed by that awful scream is quite possibly the scariest thing I have seen in a movie or show, well... ever.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry, no.

[​IMG]

This is the best, and it was much too late into the season (even if I really appreciated The Return)...

6. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Dougie Jones is Cooper in his purest form. The coffee and cherry pie, the way he goes out of his way to help others, all of it. I don't think the payoff of that "I am the FBI" line would have worked had it come sooner, honestly.

[​IMG]

I could probably watch this moment for hours.

Bacon164, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's also just classic Lynch to string the audience along like that for so long. Not that I see WandaVision's showrunners doing the same thing, but sometimes it works to drag out a mystery sometimes it doesn't.

8. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

I think this settles it. I feel a full Twin Peaks rewatch coming on in the very near future...

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I couldn't sit thru the last Twin Peaks series again . I am enjoying the latest Agents of Shield tho and all the neat spoofs in that , especially the title sequences.

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I've done it twice already. Once as it aired in 2017, and a rewatch in 2018. And I just can't get it out of my head. It is truly one of the most horrifying things I have ever seen, alongside the original Alien. I find the finale especially to be unsettling on a deeply existential level.

I'm not really one for ranking things, but when I think of my favorite media releases of the previous decade, I'd probably absolutely Twin Peaks: The Return up there with the likes of Mad Max: Fury Road, Under the Skin, Better Call Saul, and a handful of others.

BigAl6ft6 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    HeloooooOOOOOoooooo

Mr. Jackpots

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

And for every bit as unsettling as the show gets, it can be equally as endearing and sentimental and... well, hilarious!

"Mister Jackpots!"

13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Jade gave two rides!

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I absolutely love some of Lynch's work , Blue Velvet , Eraserhead , Mulholland etc. I prob should give the last TP series another go , but its like 17 hours , so ...

DarthFixxxer and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    And to cycle that back to the thread at hand...

Cherry pie, anyone? ;)

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Feige described the show as "a love letter to television" so it's really about replication of the sitcom tropes from each era and tossing in some twists. Like even the camera angles in the first two episode are more long wide shots, closeups are rare. You get a few more closeups in episode 3, cuz in the 70s you could do more and different camera setups. It'll be interesting what genre conventions they engage in the later episodes. Probably at some point it'll all happen at once on-top of each other as it collapses.

Anyway, 4 years old but Elizabeth Olsen doing a OG Scarlett Witch origins. Her holding the "No more mutants" panel may be the closest we'll get.

Juliet316 and bstnsx704 like this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, so posted this elsewhere and someone else came up with good information I didn't notice.
    ... what shape is that Hydra Soak?

[​IMG]

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And that's why it is blue!

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    we should just rename this Twin Peaks second thread and never talk about WandaVision

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Now, remind me

Was it the Tesseract that gave the twins their powers? I thought it was the scepter as Thor took the tesseract at the end of the Avengers.

And the scepter held the mind stone that goes to Vision.

So what is the significance of the Tesseract then?

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It was not, it was the Mind Gem, as you note.

However...

Wanda's powers materialize as Reality Gem colors (going back to "everything is color-coded" -- Visions beams from the Mind Gem are yellow, Power Stone punches/blasts were purple, Space stuff was blue, etc. And "magic" in the MCU is primarily yellow, as it comes from "expanding your mind" as per Doctor Strange... so, it's possible her powers are "infinity"-based rather than specifically Mind Stone-based.

And, further, they may simply introduce a Cosmic Cube -- which in comics also has ties to Hydra and reality rewriting -- separate from the Tesseract/Space Stone...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I wouldn't look too closely into the color of the powers. Marvel has always been fast and loose with that. The Scepter wasn't originally intended to be the Mind Stone, hence the original blue gem that was later retconned to be casing around the yellow Mind Stone. And the Orb in GotG was originally red during production and had to be turned purple in post because the Aether in TDW was already red and was being established as another Infinity Stone.

The intention thus far in the MCU has been that the Mind Stone was used to "unlock" the abilities in Wanda and Pietro, but I'm inclined to think had the powers were already coded within them and the Mind Stone simply cracked that code, rather than granted them the powers outright. And if I had to guess, now, in WandaVision, Wanda's powers seem to have grown well beyond what we have seen from her before - most likely due to training from another witch, presumably Agatha Harkness, rather than from anything directly relating to the Mind Stone.

This would also put Wanda more in line with sorcerers like Doctor Strange, where she herself is able to manipulate these magical abilities, and an object like an Infinity Stone is a tool that can be manipulated rather than the be all, end all source of the powers at her disposal, which I personally find to be more interesting than her simply "getting" the powers from the Mind Stone.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.