main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's WandaVision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 3, 2020.

1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The concept of
    A.I.M.
    could also tie into
    Taskmaster

I have to admit, I've had to research more Marvel lore from this than any other show or movie. All of the ideas make this show more interesting.

Someone asked
    what does Stark Industries have to do with it?
    . Well, remember
    Stark made Vision so the company has the tech somewhere.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Most importantly,
    a Stark bomb killed Wanda’s parents.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm in love with the structure of this show. The various intro songs, the animated sequences and opening credits in episode two, the blatant studio set for their house and laughtracks; it is all honestly pitch perfect.

On top of the explicit sitcom structure, the show has a bit of a (sanitized) David Lynch influence to it as well. The dinner scene in episode one was very much riffing on Eraserhead, and the mysterious 'Beekeeper' in episode two seemed to intend to evoke the sense of the Lodge Entities in Twin Peaks; the show's deliberate contortion of standard television formula also gave me a Twin Peaks vibe, actually. Lots of darkness bubbling up from underneath this nice white picket fence world...

Speaking of the Beekeeper, Wanda's ability to rewind there must mean that she actually has some degree of understanding/control over this pocket reality that she's in (and potentially created). Even if she can leave, she doesn't want to. This is where Vision is, and out there in the real world he's dead. She's trapped in this fiction, but she's also comfortable here and won't leave it on her own...

The commercials are a blast, and both are explicitly linked to Wanda's past trauma. A Stark missile is responsible for killing her family, and Strucker is the one that experimented on Wanda in the first place. They're definitely going to wind up being a key in "unlocking" what's going on here.

I think Agnes, the neighbor, is actually Agatha Harkness, a witch that weaves in and out of Wanda's stories in the comics. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that she is actually responsible for teaching Wanda how to create this pocket reality in the first place.

Monica Rambeau must have been sent into the pocket reality by SWORD to check in on Wanda but it seems like she is now trapped in it herself as well. I think the voice reaching out through the radio was Jimmy Woo, so maybe he is also a SWORD agent now too? Darcy must be as well (and I'm guessing she's the one 'watching Wanda's broadcasts from the outside).

The "Is that how mirrors work?" line got such a huge laugh out of me.

I'm pretty sad that after only two episodes we're already out of the 50s setting, but can't wait to see what comes next. Bring on the twins and everything else that comes with it. This is only scratching the surface so far, but Wanda is going to keep losing herself deeper into this pocket reality she's concocted and I only sense more and more horror festering in its core.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's a dinner party in episode one and the climax of the scene is very Twin Peaks and Lynch tonally.

Honestly, Twin Peaks is kind of a good comparison, more of the melodrama comedy aspects but then something dark and unexplained comes in. But honestly it's really like 70% sitcom and 30% weird. I think calling it a horror show wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility. Ultimately it's a decade hopping sitcom homage but then it'll twist in unexpected scenes.

5. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    SWORD when they're finally able to make contact with Vision and let him know he's dead:

[​IMG]

6. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    What if
    Agnes is really the big bad controlling Wanda. After all, she's the one giving Wanda advice on how to fit in, thus keeping her grounded in this new world instead of being herself.

And I disagree @BigAl6ft6 I think it's more 20% sitcom and 80% weird. It seems like every line or every other line hints at something much bigger.

7. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    In most comic iterations Agatha isn't solely a villain, though she is used that way from time to time. If that is indeed who Agnes turns out to be, I definitely wouldn't be shocked to find out that she taught Wanda how to create this pocket dimension/tear in reality/sitcom world/whatever you want to call it. While she might be a bit of an antagonist of sorts, I don't think she's going to be the full on villain of the series.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't a standard 'main villain' and that Wanda's own deteriorating psyche winds up being the central cause of conflict within her.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    thats a good point, even in the sitcom-y scenes there's a subtext of something differently menacing in between the dialgoue there.

Vision at the neighborhood watch actually had some real world harshness to his questions. Also during the wacky sitcom magic show when Vision would do something without Wanda showing the "strings" it was like a horrified silence fell on the crowd like they were actually realizing something otherworldly was going on, then Wanda would cover it up. Even the dialogue between Vision and Wanda about their lack wedding rings felt like they're genuinely confused about a missing portion of their lives but they brush it aside for more sitcom antics.

the more overt "weird" scenes (hell let's just straight up call it Twin Peaks) seem to be localized to one or two "incidents" per episode.

anyway, hopefully we get featurettes like this after every episode

Anyway ad spoiler speculation from the above clip

there's a clip of Wanda saying "I'm fine!" and looking at the camera which makes me think we'll get a Modern Family/The Office/Parks and Rec style "confessional interview" for at least one episode.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There were a bunch of points where I felt Olsen was directly channeling Lucille Ball, especially with the way she inflected her voice. BTW I'm kinda glad they just went full in on her dropping the accent, let's Olsen just come across more naturally. Also makes the "haha she's European" bits even funnier.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thinking Agnes is Agatha but Agatha knows/is aware of Mephisto (thus her "not all he's in" line), even if he's not directly involved here.

I'm thinking/hoping more Family Ties for the 80's than Growing Pains. More distinct.

Ooh! I like that line of thinking! I'm gonna call it: Future commercials will use references to Ultron, Thanos and, possibly, the Accords. They're sort of reflecting on Wanda's past traumas to help her realize that she has become traumatized so that she breaks with this reality somehow.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think like others they will take the archetype so yeah a Family Ties/Growing Pains- Whatever your typical 80s sitcom was.

As to the commercials. We hit the 70s next. Wouldn't that start the beginning of computers? Maybe the Ultron 1000 is the fastest computer on the market or something? Thanos- 80s maybe an add about gems or stones? Something that references the Mind Stone? perhaps

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Alternatively, Wanda's father in law Ultron could just come pay them a visit. Meet his grandkids, and the like!

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah there's totally more hidden cameos that we don't know about. I'd love to see them put in Ultron as the wacky Grandpa, that would be amazing.

14. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh my god that would be amazing. Just imagine James Spader chewing up the scenery for 20 minutes.

[​IMG]

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So we should bank on Josh Brolin showing up at some point?

16. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Loved the first two episodes so far!

I just had a new theory: what if in between civil war and infinity war, while Wanda and Vision were in hiding together, they would watch decades worth of American tv, to help her with her accent? And that’s why shes imagining all this?[\spoiler]

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What was the city at the start of Civil War where Wanda accidentally blew up that office building? I could see a commercial referencing that (or, they could literally do an episode/sequence based on The Office and then have it explode during a confessional).

18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    There will undoubtedly be a
    commercial in the 1980's for car wax called "Quicksilver"
    lol

19. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Lagos

The2ndQuest and rocknroll41 like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    This series is very different and odd. Like others I didn't love the first episode, but the second was definitely an improvement. I will see this series through to the end because (a) it's only 9 episodes and (b) after 23 films I think the studio has earned the chance to be a little weird and experimental.

P.S. Glad they gave us 2 episodes instead of 1. I hope they give us 2 each week.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    A testament to the quality of the show is the sheer amount of speculation. :cool:[face_coffee]

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Another clue that Agnes is really Agatha Harkness: she mentions her anniversary is June 2nd which is the date the Salem Witch trials began. Harkness survived the witch trials in the comics. Now I’m really interested to find out who her husband is. We didn’t meet him in the first two episodes I don’t think.

23. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    I think I also found another slight clue as to why the beekeeper is probably AIM. I haven't really read much of the comics, so correct me if I'm wrong here. Doesn't AIM get their hexagon logo from the honeycomb structure of bee hives, maybe the bees are kind of referencing this?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The beekeeper is wearing a SWORD logo, though. The recent "featurette" has another hint towards its origin.

TheChosenAlpha likes this.
  25. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Ah, you're right. Didn't notice that one.