main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's WandaVision

Discussion in 'Community' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 3, 2020.

1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I think we've already gotten a Quicksilver reference. But in the nature of the show it's odd and out of place. In the first episode Wanda says to Vision "You can move at the speed of sound and I can make a pen float through the air ...". Super speed is not one of the abilities we've seen from Vision in the movies. That was her brother's jam. It's almost as if Vision may be the embodiment of all of her accumulated losses in whatever the heck is going on here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Ghost, wobbits and rocknroll41 like this.
  2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Watching the episodes I was like, isn't that Anya when we first see Dottie. Surprised me too. What an imaginative and delightful show and I love all the possible speculations people are making.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    There's something I've been wondering about from the second episode; Big Red chewing gum.

I'm old enough to remember when Big Red first came out. It was sometime in the mid 70's, which makes it out of time and place for that episode. I also know that Big Red was the name of the production company that Disney created specifically for this series. So was that mention just a nod to the production company or is there some significance to having a brand of chewing gum that didn't exist in the 60's mucking up Vision's inner workings because it didn't belong there?

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This almost feels like it's twist on the WW1984 plot done right. Read on for my full theory as to what is going on and comment.
    Wanda made a deal with someone (Mephisto) in order to bring back her dead lover. However, in return, she has to forget everything that happened before. As a result, she gets trapped inside sitcom world for whoever is responsible's delight. Someone really likes all of these shows and has been around for all of them throughout time. Meanwhile, SHIELD, er, SWORD (as they are now called) found a way to tap into the location and send messages in and retract info out. Dottie was VERY angry and somewhat nervous when she heard the voices on the radio, signifying that she is worried someone has found out what may be going on.

And to answer the question as to why
    they so desperately want to find Wanda, SWORD needs her powers to fight a battle/war. The set up for this war will happen in other shows. In the meantime, perhaps by Wanda having made the "deal" she did, it either directly or indirectly has caused the war which Wanda is needed.
    The "twist" or comparison might be that
    in order for Wanda to regain her memory and help in this war, she will end having to give up Vision AGAIN as well as the kids she is mysteriously carrying.
    So, by bringing her
    back to "reality" they actually create a monster they never intended because she goes crazy. By trying desperately to reach her, SWORD is disrupting the peace and happiness she has found.
    . As a result, we have
    Mephisto, or whoever is in charge and created this world while making the deal with Wanda, has the last laugh as he/she has the ultimate weapon in evil Wanda which may have always been the plan to start with.

The only one, of course, who can at least somewhat have answers or deal with this in a logical way is Steven Strange (bring on Dr. Strange 2).

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    oh man this show is so fantastic.

Olsen and Bettany are absolutely living it up, and supporting roles from Kathryn Hahn, Fred Melamed and Debra Jo Rupp go such an extra mile to making this feel like a sitcom. Love the darker moments so, so much.

Bravo to Marvel for opening with this. I've seen a few people turned off but I think if they stick with it they'll really love it, they're playing with the format/history of television in a way that says a lot about Wanda and how she's viewing her world and it's really not something the MCU has tried before.

Matt Shakman has directed tons of Always Sunny....and actually he's moved into a bunch of prestige tv (GOT, Mad Men, Succession, The Boys) and he's absolutely shining here as well. This show really knows what it wants to do and it's taking its time to pace itself and build things up. Once things break bad this show gets incredibly interesting, and Wanda becomes one of the best characters in the series as a result.

Wins all around, can't wait for episode 3!

6. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Do I have to have watched all the Marvel Universe movies to watch this? Looks a bit esoteric.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I would have advised to watch Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War/Endgame before getting into the show.

Ghost, wobbits, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Call me intrigued after those first 2 episodes. Very weird however and the first half of episode 1 I struggled through but then it turned on it's end with the ending.

9. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Another observation from episode 2 ... that garden party was positively Stepford wives. The chanting of "for the children" then Wanda ending up pregnant at the end of the episode ... that can't be a good sign.

wobbits, BigAl6ft6, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Just watched the first two episodes. Tbh, I don't really like sitcoms and with no real plot relating to the MCU (at least not to the naked eye), I was left wondering what the heck I was just watching. But then I watched the Trailer promo and I see it eventually makes sense.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Woah, wait-
    the "iris out" at the end of the episodes is hexagon-shaped (and not, as I first thought, shaped like the Mind Stone as a reference to Vision). The person monitoring the broadcast is seemingly SWORD due to the logo being part of the modern left-hand display.

So maybe it is AIM doing the broadcast (thus them closing out each installment with their logo shape) and SWORD is intercepting/monitoring the transmission?

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it’s pretty creepy. Especially because there doesn’t seem to be any children in the town. It’s almost as if the talent show was really some kind of ritual. All the residents are pretty suspicious TBH except for Monica who we know doesn’t belong there. I’m starting to think that the boss may be Nicholas Scratch while the other residents are the Salem Seven and the town itself is New Salem. Agnes has already made an indirect reference to the Salem Witch trials. Instead of Dottie perhaps the mysterious Ralph is actually Mephisto and he wants Wanda’s children for some nefarious reason.

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Thus far, I think it may actually be pretty accessible to a new viewer (now granted, I only have the first two episodes to base this off of).

The only thing from the movies that I'd say is entirely important to know going in is that
    Vision is dead, and as a result of his death he and Wanda never truly got to live a proper life together.

Beyond that, apart from some Easter Eggs that might paint some broad strokes towards a larger mystery, I think a new viewer and longtime viewer would essentially be on the same page. And to add to that, as someone that has seen every MCU installment, I'd say that these first two episodes of WandaVision have been my favorite installment in this massive MCU tapestry since Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 back in 2017.

As this mystery unravels there are likely to be more connections to the bigger ongoing arc of things (Wanda's story here is going to segue into Sam Raimi's upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - man, I hope he channels some of his The Evil Dead energy there), but right now I'm really just finding so much appealing about WandaVision on its own two feet. It is very unlike anything else Marvel has done thus far, and is all the better for it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply @bstnsx704 . I appreciate it.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  15. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Question: Is Mephisto at all connected to A.I.M. ?

What about if the villain (if there is one) is MODOK or Dr. Doom?

16. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I watched the first two episodes. Very intriguing.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I have my doubts that AIM has anything to do with this. Are they even a thing after Iron Man 3? I mean they did commit several terrorist attacks and tried to assassinate the President so you’d think they’d be shut down. Also I firmly believe whatever is going on will remain within the realm of the mythical. This is the work of witches and wizards and demons not some evil corporation.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going by the trailers...
    this all seems to be taking place inside some kind of energy-domed area, which could very easily be an advanced technological construct.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Are you referring to the shot of Monica being thrown back? I take the shimmering effect that she zaps out of to be the pocket universe or whatever that Wanda (or someone else) has created not anything technological. It’s the same effect used when it goes from black and white to color.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would say I am interested but confused

21. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    The beekeeper does have a sword logo on his back, so I'm not so sure about the AIM theory. But I completely forgot that each episode closes with a hexagon. Also the weird thing about the beekeeper is, why doesn't Wanda just do whatever she did to the other sword members and Monica, to the Beekeeper. Why not just make him forget his memories. Why is she so scared of this specific agent, that she resets time.

Also I do think Mephisto is involved in this too, much more than I believe AIM is in it. That devil reference is a bit too on the nose. I also think Mephisto will end up becoming the main villain for Multiverse of Madness.

I wonder who is behind the ads. The first one says "Forget the past, this is your future." It sounds like whoever is behind this is the one creating the ads.

EDIT: I also want to add, this is one of the shows where I'm really happy they aren't releasing all the episodes together, I wouldn't like this this much if they were.

22. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I'm curious about the reaction to the show from people who knows nothing about the MCU. Do they get what's going on ? These 2 episodes were enough to keep them interested ?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's weird and will be interesting to see how people react. Releasing them weekly is making for good speculation and analysis, but at the same time, releasing only these two episodes seems like an insufficient introduction for a more mainstream audience.

EDIT- that said, I have had t least one person already ask me to the effect of “I don’t know Vision but this looks good, will I be lost?”. So maybe it isn’t insufficient since the gimmick is the hook, not the “David Lynch” plot that hasn’t gotten going yet.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    lol a dome where time passes faster... The World! (probably not)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I know nothing about the Marvel Universe, it isn't really a franchise that holds my interest. I tried to watch some of the Avengers but it is all too convoluted for me and the special effects overload sequences put me off somewhat. I was curious about WandaVision because I like the idea of the premise. I watched the first two episodes earlier and I enjoyed them.

Question:

As I understand it they know they are two superheroes, and the TV show that they are in plays on the comic idea that they are superheroes living in 50's suburbia (sort of like Bewitched), but they don't know that they are not really characters in a TV show, which somebody else is in control of?

I am just a bit lost on that strand of reality. because they go along with the premise of the show and act as if that fictional TV reality is real to them ??? That's where it confuses me a little. ??

Can somebody explain? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Has anybody here ever played any of the RPG games in the "Fallout" franchise? There are quests within that game that take you into a surreal 1950's monochrome environment, which this show reminded me of.