main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Master and Apprentice, a Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan novel by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 20, 2018.

1. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess Fanry is like the shadow counterpart to Padme down to the loyal captain of the guard and the inconspicuous right-hand maiden.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sometimes insomnia is a good thing. I tossed and turned most of the night and finally gave up at 6:45 AM. Got up and eventually headed for the local Sainsbury's store to do the weekly shopping. (Normally I go on Sunday mornings but it's closed for Easter this week). Traffic was light, store wasn't too busy, and I had all the stuff put away by 9AM. So I went to town and Waterstones had a copy of the book on the shelf. Next on the reading list..(once I get some sleep!)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 4-6 :

Qui-Gon getting invited onto the Council doesn’t mesh with Obi-Wan’s TPM line “If you would just follow the code, you would be on the Council now,” but I can overlook it.

So Qui-Gon is really into prophecies with Obi-Wan taking the “WTF does this have to do with anything” attitude. I’m with you, Obi-Wan, I think I’d prefer the astronomy loving Master myself. I thought it was interesting that Padawans are required to research topics that their Masters are interested in.

Chapter 6 ends on a good note, with the Chancellor spilling the beans about Qui-Gon’s Council invitation, which it appears he won’t take, and the Jedi Regent being an old friend of his.

wobbits likes this.
  4. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    So does anyone know how old Obi-Wan is in this book?

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    It's mentioned at several points in the text and dialogue that Obi-Wan is seventeen, and once in dialogue that Qui-Gon is forty.

mes520, TheRynJedi and ThisIsMe1138 like this.
  6. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Awesome, thank you! I can't wait to read it :)

Senpezeco likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 7-9:

Rael is certainly a unique character, seems almost like what would happen if a Jedi showed up in the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

Sad about his Padawan, and I tend to agree with Qui-Gon that he probably should not have been given as much of a pass for it. He seems to have enough personal charm to get away with a lot, though, based on his scenes with Dooku as well.

So Yoda does not want Qui-Gon on the Council? Not too surprised there.

I enjoyed the zero-g scene.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    In the audiobook, he has a very “blue collar” American accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    One thing I didn't quite understand:

The blackguards' personal shields are strong enough to resist lightsaber strikes, but couldn't the Jedi have used their Force powers instead - for example to pull blasters out of their opponents' grip, or knock their opponents over?

10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I had the same thought when I read those scene's.
    My best guess is the surprise disrupted their concentration. They expected to win easy, but were forced on the defensive, and their confusion prevented them from channeling the force instantly.

I mean, it's not stated outright, but it makes some sense, and it's not the first time Jedi "forgot about their powers" when it was plot convenient. I still enjoyed it, and it brought up an interesting concept.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that it's set 8 years before TPM, it makes me wonder about some things related to AoTC and the Grand Army.

If Dooku is already Dark this early - is he Sith? There's a hint that he was using Force Lightning in anger against the Falleen assassin who tries to kill a young Qui-Gon. Perhaps he was dabbling in the Sith Way that early?

Since he's out of the Order long before Sifo-Dyas dies in the Valorum administration - who deletes Kamino from the Jedi Archives? One would expect Dooku, as an ex-Jedi, not to have admin privileges any more. Perhaps Sifo-Dyas was recruited by Dooku after Rael turned him down - then murdered when he'd done his job of ordering the Grand Army and then erasing Kamino from the Archives.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Got my copy - it's a good looking volume with some really neat aesthetic touches.

13. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    This book will forever change the way that we view TPM and AOTC.

TheRynJedi and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Dooku was always in contact with the Dark Side, I think it was even before he left the Jedi order, which makes sense.

Being a Sith however, is a different thing. Sith can always use other Dark Siders, such as Nightsisters and the Inquisitors. Sidious was also in contact with Talzin before TPM. I am guessing that Sidious planned to use Dooku like an Inquisitor, but not to hunt Jedi, but to use his political skills only. Sidious also said the Inquisitorius was ''a long planned project of his''.

After losing Maul, he decides on Anakin, but he was too young and Sidious had no time to train him, so Sidious accepts Dooku as an apprentice and a place holder until Anakin grows powerful enough.

15. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    Dooku may have been playing both sides. I believe that things would have turned out much differently for him if Qui-Gon would have survived.

whostheBossk and Erkan12 like this.
  16. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    OK, a bit of a curious question:
    There are some references to Obi-Wan having an old flame on Felucia, who gifted him with a Mustafar Fire Diamond. Do we know anything about this old flame? Is this mentioned somewhere else, even in the EU?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey Dart - long time no see! [:D]

18. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Quick correction:

That was Qui-Gon, not Obi-Wan. Dunno about old EU connections, but I got the impression that Gray intentionally left the gender of the “old flame” unspoken, so as not to constrict future storytelling — or I could just be projecting.

19. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    I just really want to know what happened on Felucia. I am totally up for some Qui-Gon romance.

And I guess it's taking time to get out there, but why are people not freaking out about the fact that this book just gave us the entire "Chosen One" prophecy, the complete exact wording. We've never had that before. And it's so much clearer now who it's referring to.

katie9918 likes this.
  20. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    Question:

Qui-Gon’s age at this time was given as 40. I always thought he was about 60 at the time of TPM, about seven years out from this point if I’m correct.

It appears Jedi Apprentice remains out, but I could have sworn the TPM script actually said that Qui-Gon was 60.

Slight mistake or is there some new canon of which I’m not aware?

Re-reading, and still loving this book.

21. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I believe they never said anything about Qui-Gon's age in the new canon, so they can do that retcon easily.

Interesting thing is Kenobi's age for me, he is 25 years old in Episode I, I thought he would be younger.

22. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    Is anyone here purchasing the Dooku audiobook? I feel like the material in it will absolutely enhance everything in this book and ROS, but I prefer an actual book that I can hold in my hand. I would even purchase a CD, but I do not believe that it is available.

KerkKorpil, Jedi Ben and TheRynJedi like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m sorry but did that prophecy imply Sidious or Plagueis?

I began to suspect the twist but didn’t believe it and so was still surprised.

Dooku galore. Love it. His Padawan’s always pull the short straw.

My mind was twisting over these prophecies. What a narrative to weave around a truly intriguing plot.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, got the Dooku audio preordered with Google Play.

Sadly, no actual CD.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    None at all? :(

KerkKorpil likes this.