main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Master Filmmaking Team announced! JJ now writing the script

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think even if you view this news in the most negative light there is no reason to consider Lucas's story out the door.

1 - They paid a lot of money for Star Wars and the initial press releases said a big part of that was the story treatments.
    2 - Jett Lucas has said that Abrams and Lucas meet nearly daily. Why do so if you're tossing out Lucas stories?
    3 - Why green light VII only to completely toss out those stories?

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    They could have started developing the new characters before nailing down the story so that they could get the casting underway.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly. It makes no sense whatsoever that they'd scrap the entire script and still be casting for the film and location scouting and costume designing.

4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, I was much more intrigued with Arndt writing the script than Abrams directing. I can tolerate Abrams in a "gun for hire" capacity. But, that boat is leaving, may as well just bring on the horsemen....

5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I hope that's true.

But with J.J. Abrams being involved in the actual writing process, I have zero expectations.

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah those are the things that don't jibe with all of this and still give me a glimmer of hope.

7. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Now officially waiting for Mr. Damon Lindeloff's name to be announced with involvement as opposed to unofficially tongue-in-cheek waiting for it before.

Ugh.

JediGirl_Angelina and Momotaros like this.
  8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    See why are you even here?! You're just a JJ hater so there's nothing that will appease you about this process. Just take your hate elsewhere because you're not appreciated here. Seriously IF you hate JJ and SW so much why would you waste your time here?

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, Lucas's influences are still there more than likely. But, as I said before: I was much more intrigued with Arndt than Abrams...

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Except you did call it a restarting point. You left that part out. They're not restarting with the plan to still shoot in four months.

Artoo-Dion , Diggs and Echo-07 like this.
  11. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I'm not going to lie but this news freaks me out. Here's why:

1.) The article on starwars.com just reads like a PR piece to gently break some news to a very reactionary fan base. She says that Arndt has brought them to this point, which between the lines, means to me that JJ has launched new "superior" ideas off the back of Arndt's script taking the film to a new place but otherwise throwing out Arndt's script.

2.) Judging from the lack of news lately, the rumours circulating online, we can certainly see that Devlin may be on the money. Which means if there ARE new characters then Lucas' treatment is out the window.

3.) If we look at what JJ likes to "amp up" in his films, it's a very heavy dose of nostalgia (Star Trek, Super 8), hopefully he doesn't take us down that road.

HOWEVER....

On the other side of this coin, it is possible that Arndt's script read like an apology to those that hated the prequels, "these are the films you REALLY wanted" kinda thing, which could've upset JJ who seems to respect George, look up to him and by all accounts they're quite close (phone a lot and JJ went to George's wedding).

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, its probably not far off. When that happens, I got ZERO expectations for this film.

Bad_Feeling and Tan-Wessel like this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Uh, will any of the Arndt draft be in the movie . . .?

I'm finding it hard to get excited about Kasdan. He wrote some very good screenplays; but honestly, it's been a honking long time. Lucas brought an entire creative vision to the PT, I could forgive him the clunky writing. I hope Kasdan's in good form. Sigh. I'm just not seeing the Abrams/Kasdan team as being very special or exciting for this project. I wonder if they're tossing all of Arndt's contributions...?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is the most important and ironic part of your post.

Darkslayer and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  15. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    This is going to be like how Singer made Superman Returns pretty much a remake of Superman: The Movie but not.

Momotaros likes this.
  16. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Hmm. Perhaps we can finally get that Star Wars- Star Trek- Lost- crossover we all want so bad!=D=

17. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I think your negativity for Abrams is overblown. As a storyteller I think he has a lot to hang his hat on. Alias and Lost viewed as his brainchilds are great to have on his resumes, Super 8 is a solid film, Regarding Henry has a solid script. Sure Armageddon sucked, but everyone (including Kasdan, Lucas, etc) has stinkers.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Nope. You're just acting like a whiny baby. Over-react much? smh

SuperPersch likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Except that was only half of the press release. Again, it was to announce the creative team they'd assembled.

So you're magnifying what has collectively been perceived as the important half of the pr but it was still only half the story.

20. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Come on Echo, that's too harsh. He's too much of a downer, but he still has a place here.

21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Difficult to know for sure, but I'd surprised if the more successful elements of his script weren't reworked or included somehow. The idea that they've come this far with nothing to go off just doesn't wash at all with me. I suspect most of the major sequences, locations, vehicles and some characters will carry through.

22. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Is there a dislike button anywhere? ;)

23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Eh, not really; it was a continuation of the Donner aesthetics. But the film wasn't exactly a retread. It wasn't very good either...

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Not really. The guy is a blatant JJ hater. S/he hasn't been here for ages now come shere to spread discord and spin his hate for JJ even more? IMO he does not.

25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Dude. Are you pouting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.