main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barbecue17, Dec 12, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If Part 2 of Revelations is the story of Skeletor getting his black stormtrooper army, leading to the theft of the Cosmic Key and the storming of Grey Skull, I will be thrilled beyond words.

And if Mark Hamill transitions to Frank Langella, I will promise not to sell my MOTU collection.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so how did he get the name He-Man ? I assume he wasn't given it at birth.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Dude named Robert Sweet invented it. According to him he came up with 40 or 50 names like Mighty Man and Big Man but then hit upon He-Man and that was it. A generic name but with a tough meaning.

Kiki Jinn likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What VLM meant to say was that his birth name was Herman Mansfield. One day, he had a slightly crumpled letter addressed to him that folded over parts of his name so that all that was visible were "He" and "Man". Being a lazy sort, he thought that much more efficient and adopted it as his nom de guerre.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    mnjedi, DarthRamRod and gezvader28 like this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What I take from the synopsis Netflix put up and the show title is that the Revelations tearing the heroes apart will probably be finding out who He-Man is.
    Remember that only Man At Arms, Orco & Sorceress know his true identity, whereas Teela does not. It's not unreasonable to assume that, if He-Man has his identity revealed (after the Sword of Power is lost) it would upset those who he had hidden the secret from all these years.
    Even King Randor & Queen Marlena don't know the secret, I doubt they'd be pleased either.

The whole group coming back together will probably be the central focus of the show. They can't defeat Skeletor and his minions if they are divided, especially without He-Man.
    Presumably Teela will be the one to try and unite them all again.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I honestly can't tell if you guys are serious.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

I don’t remember much from the Master of the Universe cartoon. But I thought Queen Marlena knew her soon was He-Man. Like she figured it out. Mother’s intuition. At some point she might have straight up told him. But it was at least heavily implied if she didn’t directly say it.

And didn’t King Randor wish his son was more like He-Man? The ok’d
    Cartoon show for me as an adult doesn’t hold up very well and was hard to ever rewatch. Going to be interesting if Kevin Smith’s show really is a direct continuation of the original.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If she did figure it out, then they'd have to rerecord the show's intro, where Adam specifies that "only three others" know his secret. And i doubt they had the budget for that ;).

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Who said she told Adam she knew? The intro is from his POV.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    If you wanna watch a grown man cry over He-Man...

The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The2ndQuest Unpopular opinion: I think the cosmic key was an absolute stroke of genius that allowed for Skeletor to get the upper hand without it going against the lore of the universe. Just the studio would not let the filmmakers make it properly due to budget restrains.

Far as the rumors go,
    I think if it's where He-Man loses his power early on therefore Teela has to become the protector of Eternia for the time being while Prince Adam has to learn how to succeed on his own before they finally are able bring He-Man back/put together a force that overtake Skeletor and his forces could be amazing. If it's where they just swamp out Prince Adam for Teela and make her the new He-Man (She-Man) that would most likely be really lame and quite frankly be character development for both Adam and Teela. I don't have a lot of faith in Smith but I try to have enough faith it will be more like the former and not the later. But I still am trying to prepare myself for the later.

BTW any news about the He-Man movie? Last I heard Centineo was dropped from the project and they were looking again for another He-Man:

https://screencrush.com/noah-centineo-not-playing-he-man/

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I unabashedly love the potential of the MOTU film and what glorious Eternia content we did get out of the film bookending the bad Earth stuff (they could have just sent them to a village/town on the other side of Eternia and done the same story for about the same cost! arg!). The Cosmic Key is certainly an element of that.

Luke02 likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's Golan-Globus. I feel like this explains everything. (I'd forgotten until I saw it on cable again the other day)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    interesting looking new show , particularly
    with the toys that are already hitting shelves spoiling it

perhaps rare opinion: i prefer 1982 barbarian He-Man

Luke02 likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    If you have Netflix and haven't seen it yet, I'd highly recommend watching Power of Grayskull.

17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I always thought it it was weird that the only thing Prince Adam’s sword did was rip off his clothes and make his voice deeper.

On that note is He-Man a stripper?

18. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    By the power of Grayskull! I HAVE THE DOLLAR!!!

DarthRamRod likes this.
  19. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I never liked He-Man having a alter ego, let alone a fancy lad alter ego.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Seriously, what was the point of that?

Also what did the sword actually do? Prince Adam was just as ripped as He-Man so it's not like he was a wimp that needed the sword to give him super strength. Did the sword just gave him confidence?

Another thing, nobody piecing together that He-Man and Prince Adam were one in the was so stupid that even my eight year brain couldn't get on board with it.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I assumed he was meant to be influenced by Superman, who also has a terrible disguise when he's trying to be normal.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Luke02 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was definitely a Clark Kent factor involved. It's been a long time since I watched the original series, but I believe Prince Adam was just as ripped as He-Man but He-Man had super-human strength because of the sword.

The reboot (and, seemingly, this continuation) made Adam less like He-Man-with-a-shirt-on and involved an actual physical transformation so that they didn't look 100% identical.

[​IMG]

DarthRamRod likes this.
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @The2ndQuest I think they were trying to piggyback off the success of Star Trek IV which had come out a year earlier with much of it taking place in modern day Earth. I believe there was supposed to been more to the Earth connection then was in the film including He-Man's mom being from Earth but I agree they just could been in a another part of Eternia and had the same effect. I always loved btw In the first alternation in CG, it was He-Man, Teela, Man of Arms against everyone else so they fleed. When they return it was He-Man, Teela, Man of Arms, Kevin and Detective Lubric against everyone else including a much more powerful Skeletor yet it's "He-Man! Victory!!". At least the Rebels had the Ewoks showed up to help them in the Battle of Endor. All He-Man gained was a kid and one cop yet we are suspended ourselves they took Skeletor and his entire forces lol.

24. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh no doubt. They took the ridiculousness of Superman’s disguise and took it to the extreme.

But why did Prince Adam need two identities? Why not just stay super powered all the time?

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    there's a guy who worked for Hasbro and his youtube channel is Spector Creative. He has some informative videos on the history of the toyline