main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barbecue17, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It is a valid point, in the new She-Ra series Adora's identity was known to all her allies.

I'm not sure how the Power of Grayskull works, maybe it's too much stress on the body to keep it permanently. Plus it's tied to the sword, without the sword you can't have the power.

I suppose you could argue that the identity is hidden to protect others, which is why most superheroes do it.
    Skeletor might go after Adam's parents if he knew Adam was He-Man, or go after him to get the sword when he isn't in He-Man form because it's easier.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, one assumes there's a psychological aspect to it, even if its not explored. Cringer's entire personality changes when he transforms. I doubt the real Cringer would appreciate losing his sense of self on a permanent basis. One could assume there is a degree of that with He-Man going on (again, even though it's never been shown, AFAIK).

3. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I don’t make comments like this lightly - Your post put more practical in universe thought into the story of He-Man than anyone working on the 80s cartoon series.

People like to say Star Wars was made to sell toys. That is not true of Star Wars. But He-Man really was created first as a toy line. The story was created secondary. And the story in the little mini comics packed with the toys was different from the story of the Comic Book series and different from the cartoon series.

As media expanded more material was needed. The original mini-comics were pretty simple. They functioned to set up a basic backstory, demo-straight how to play with the toys, and as a commercial to promote the wider toy line. The comic book series expanded to tell a larger story of the characters on basically a monthly basis. Then the cartoon series needed to create 65 half hour stories that would air five days a week over three months. A huge amount of new material was quickly needed to fill that air time.

My hunch is the writers of the cartoon show were concerned about having enough story content. As kids they liked the tv series Superman in the 1950s or someone higher up asked for a concept like Superman and Clark Kent to be incorporated into the series. Either way it was employed to help pad the plot of the series.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's why I'm interested in the new adaptation as I was for She-Ra, because the shows are written to put story first now instead of just to sell & promote an existing line of toys as many 80s & 90s cartoons were.

5. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was going to say how the hell can Skelator not see that Prince Adam is He-Man but dude doesn’t have any eyeballs.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't think Skeletor would've just considered going after Prince Adam's parents just because they'd be an easier target.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    New trailer. And it's awesome.

Juliet316 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    hmm , the sword divided, like the original toys

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I could be wrong, but wasn't Stinkor part of Hordak's crew (which was featured in the She-Ra series)?

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Though it appears not width-wise like the toys.

Beyond my knowledge.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm confused how this divided sword thing works

Does it mean Adam can't become He-Man?

And we know from the toy leaks about

Skeletor becoming Skelegod after obtaining the Power of Grayskull. How can he do that with only half a sword?

12. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    well it does seem like he loses the power of He-Man and Skeletor gains the power, but at what point in the story the sword is divided we don't know . Gonna have to watch it.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    veeeery interesting

Juliet316 and VadersLaMent like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "He-man got some nipples this time around."

Juliet316 and VadersLaMent like this.
  16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Revelations release on Netflix today

I loved it, cannot wait for the final parts to be released

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    watched the first episode, it's like a series finale of the original series. Also beforehand I watched the (very informative) Power of Greyskull documentary which picked up on some tidbits in here

Moss man getting exploded by Skeletor and then Skeletor says "Smells like pine!" like the Moss Man toy was supposed to smell woods-y. Also He-Man finally stabs Skeletor in the gut which he couldn't do on the show and he said "You've finally used the sword for what it was intended"

Anyway, yah the first episode is basically exploding out the old continuity which may or may not tick off fans of the series but it's very much a bridge to whatever the show is.

I go at a glacial pace mostly weekly so at 5 episodes at 25 minutes should have it done by September

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh Skeletor, you crafty old sorcerer.

On the whole I thought Revelations was a pretty good show.
    Impressive visuals and some great voice work.
    It's definitely a show for fans of classic He-Man, since it gives a lot of spotlight to supporting MOTU characters most new or casual fans won't know or have heard of.

I liked the basic idea behind it, though some things didn't entirely work IMO

TriClops asserting himself as the top villain (along with Trap Jaw) after Skeletor's apparent demise was surprising, I thought it might be King Hiss and the Snake Men who tried to take over but they're for another time it seems.
    Man At Arms was awesome, easily the best character alongside Orco. I was impressed how the little guy developed, finally realising his true potential so he could stop Scareglow.
    Evil Lynn was also one of the best characters, Lena Heady did a great job with the part.

Cringer was his usual loveable timid self

Seeing the past Champions like He-Ro & King Grayskull was cool.

And the show has real stakes for once, characters actually died.

The big problem for me, was Teela.
    The show is basically about her, which would be fine but I found her to be pretty boring as a character. Those around her who gave up their lives for the mission were far more interesting and I had way more emotional investment in them.
    It's obvious the show is setting her up to be the big hero, since she is the Sorceress's daughter which means she has great power within and because at the end Adam appeared to be fatally injured by Skeletor and so can't become He-Man.
    Clearly Teela will become empowered and defeat SkeleGod in some way, either by unleashing the magic within or using the Power Sword or both. I'm not invested in that because I don't care much for the character. Plus MOTU is based around He-Man, by all means give other characters more screen time but Adam/He-Man is the ultimate hero and that's how it should be.

Skeletor was well done, he certainly looked awesome and had good lines. Though I don't really like Mark Hamill basically just doing his Joker voice for the part, it's distracting and for someone of his voice acting talent I thought he would try something different.

Also, how does one become a Champion? If Skeletor can lift the Sword and gain the Power, can't everyone else?
    I thought you had to be chosen, be worthy

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Ghost and Luke02 like this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    This new show is serious and dire. The campy humor of the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon is missing. I wish it was more fun.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Is the new he man masters of the universe show any good and worth it on Netflix?

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Just read the posts directly above you.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just watching the first episode it's definitely a somewhat more somber and serious vaguely apocalyptic take on the show. No room for camp! Well a bit with Orco and Cringer. Unless there's more in the next 4 episodes

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I just finished the first episode, and I really like it! it is certainly less silly or campy but otherwise just manages to keep an overall throwback vibe to it.

Kiki Jinn and FatBurt like this.
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It has the Power

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I spoke too soon