main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barbecue17, Dec 12, 2013.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm suspecting I was in wishful thinking there then

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I keep hearing that Kevin Smith lied to the fans. I'm sure there was some misdirection as to not spoil the show, but does anyone have the video or the article of where fans claimed that he lied?

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Well the "it's all about He-Man" line is considered a lie by those criticising him, given Part 1 is mostly about Teela and other MOTU characters.

I do think Smith didn't factor in how the split season would factor into advertising etc
    Obviously He-Man/Adam will return in Part 2 and wind up being the hero and the whole 10 episode season should be considered one story.
    That's obviously what Smith was talking about, but that's not how it came across to some people watching Part 1 who think He-Man is being replaced.

4. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    I finished the run BTW and will watch the rest. Think they pulled it out of the fire.

I’ve been a Kevin Smith fan for a very long time and more a fan of him than his content... he’s constantly encouraged the little guy to try crazy projects like he did, get your voice out there, etc.
    And I think he did lie and misplayed this badly. When the leak/rumor hit that He-Man would be largely absent and the focus would be on Teela, he went out of his way to deny it. Made the situation so much worse. Should have just neither confirmed nor denied and said the show will be full of surprises and you’ll have to see the whole season to judge it properly.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Smith wanted to make the situation worse. This was calculated as a way to raise the volume on the pop culture murmur about He-Man above the background noise. It gets people talking about He-Man and puts the series back on people’s radar.

Also I just watched a behind the scenes video with Smith before starting the newest season of The Walking Dead on NetFlix. Kevin Smith and the character Negan sound so much alike. Similar voice and speech patterns.

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Having not seen He-Man since the 80's and this being a continuation, I thought it was terrific. The animation and voice acting was top notch :) Looking forward to Part 2

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I watched over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Smith assembled an amazing voice cast. The music was great. The animation was excellent. And I liked that the story wasn't afraid to push the envelope and do things differently. And in doing, it allowed other characters a moment to shine. I'm eagerly awaiting the next 5 episodes.

Dagobahsystem and Jedi Daniel like this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yeah it was good. Decent story.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't necessarily think you're wrong here (although the show itself was fine). It's part of the reason I've always been wary of Smith. He strikes me as having a sort of shock jock quality to him. I don't want to be psyched into watching something. Just make an interesting story and I'll watch. It's a little tiresome.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So I watched through all five episodes this week before work. I thought overall the story was somewhat interesting.

I don't remember, but was there a little disclaimer during the climax scene early in the show that mentioned how much time passed since He-Man and Skeletor died to when Teela goes out on her own reuniting what was left on Eternia? The end of Part 1 was certainly a cliffhanger; I just wonder if it's possible that they may bring back some other familiar characters (even those that supposedly died). Evil-Lyn was always among my favorite characters; I guess seeing a softer side of hers was an interesting touch. The ending suggested she may be back to being just another of Skeletor's pawns; but I almost get the feeling that she may play a larger part in supporting the good guys when all's said and done. We'll see.

So when is Part II supposed to be available?

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Agreed. I didn’t think any of it was remotely shocking or controversial. We had three episodes without He-Man actively in the story - but he still appeared in flashback.

Last weekend new episodes of a CGI animated Transformers series dropped on NetFlix. It’s intended audience is the same as Revelations. I didn’t watch it and nobody on these forums is talking about it. Smith can bring a lot of hype and I think that’s why Mattel hired him.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Watched the first episode yesterday.
    The animation and music are quite good. The story seemed ok, but hard to tell after only one ep.

I'll continue watching as it seems pretty allright and I'm interested to see what all the online controversy is about and form my own opinion.

It's always something lol.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw the first episode and it was surprisingly good , especially given that it was written by Kevin Smith.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So Netflix just dropped a new He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Trailer for a new upcoming series to premier next month. Not to be confused with the Kevin Smith "sequel" series, this is a full CG reboot of the story; it reminds me of something you'd likely watch on Nickelodeon or even Disney's Cable channel during the early 2000s - obviously geared towards a young audience.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Does this mean Mattel is gonna put more toys out there?

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well these figures have presumably already been released at retailers by now.
    [​IMG]

QUIGONMIKE and Juliet316 like this.
  17. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Mattel currently has a retro style He-Man line and a figure line for the Kevin Smith series out now. They horribly over-packed He-Man and Skeletor in the retro style line.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @SithLordDarthRichie Not only would I be excited for a She-Ra live action series but also hope this means that perhaps Amazon or Netflix pick up the Masters of the Universe live action movie that is stuck in developmental hell with Sony. The last word was Noah Centineo had dropped out of the project and they were looking for a new He-Man.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Depends if it's any good or not.

It's stated Dreamworks Animation is involved, though I doubt Noelle Stevenson will be writing this version (and fans of her show already are mad on Twitter that it won't be a continuation).
    Amazon has done some great shows, but also some duds as their recent Cinderella adaptation has demonstrated.

Obviously it will have the same creative restrictions as the Netflix version, no mention of He-Man or other MOTU related characters. This will mean changing the story, which will upset the 80s purists who raged at the recent series.

I'll reserve judgement until more is revealed.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I was into this as a kid so will have to check this out & follow the developments.

22. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I suppose that She-Ra is be easier to bring to the live action than He-Man considering the physical proportions of the actors that would be required. [face_laugh]

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @paradigmes Oh you mean you don't think they will have a tough time finding an actor strong enough to lift the entire city of Arcadia on it's back and be able to move a mountain along with knocking over his opponents with his breath? :D

24. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see who they cast and how they design She-Ra's costume
    There is already a Netflix series of She-Ra.