main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Matrix: Reloaded, Revolutions and Animatrix (WARNING: Revolutions Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by darth_boy, Sep 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I expect it to come out in April. Reloaded came out five months after it's release, so I expect Revolutions to come out at the same time.

That's a good point. :)

However, Reloaded being released on DVD was planned so that it would coincide with the release of Revolutions. There were only 6 months between the films and to help ignite interest for the final instalment, WB released the DVD a month before its (Revolutions) release.

IMO, there's a chance that Revolutions will take longer than 5 months to appear on DVD. However, I hope it doesn't because I loved it. :D

2. Space_Man

Space_Man Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Everton: But note that the word "revolution" has a couple of different meanings. According to my desk dictionary, it can mean: 1.) A cyclical movement, 2.) a momentous change in a situation, and 3.) a political/military struggle. Which do you have in mind to be applicable?

Genghis12: Is anyone else leaning towards the choice that Neo made in Reloaded was to actually save the humans?

Well, I'm personally more inclined to go with the interpretation (already presented by others within this thread, I believe) that Neo's connection to humanity -- from the beginning -- was more personal/more intimate/more specific, and was embodied in his love for Trinity. In that sense, Trinity needed to die, in order to enable Neo to do what he needed to do. Not to say that Neo could have cared less about "humanity" (those in Zion or those in the matrix), but I believe that his choice in the Architect?s room was very much as it was presented: to go after Trinity, at the apparent cost of everyone still connected to the matrix.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Everton: But note that the word "revolution" has a couple of different meanings. According to my desk dictionary, it can mean: 1.) A cyclical movement, 2.) a momentous change in a situation, and 3.) a political/military struggle. Which do you have in mind to be applicable?

Well looking at those options... I'd be inclined to opt for all three!

1) A cyclical movement - The cycle the Matrix is trying to complete (which runs through all three films. It's there in the first one, just not directly referred to). Like the revolution of a wheel.

2) A momentous change in a situation - The initiation and eventual fruition of the Oracle's plan (which I think runs through all three films).

3) A political/military struggle - The war for Zion. It's revolutionary because peace succeeds war... when in the past war has always triumphed. It's a different outcome this time. (the theme of the struggle for Zion runs through all three films too)

The only thing that's missing is a political struggle.

4. Space_Man

Aug 16, 2003
    Well looking at those options... I'd be inclined to opt for all three!

Good point!

And yet, I would defend "Reloaded's" significance as a sub-title. Up until that film came out, we (as viewers) and Neo (as a character) didn't know that there had been so many previous iterations of the matrix, nor did we know that there had been previous Ones. The cyclical nature of the whole: The-One-returns-to-the-source,-and-the-matrix-is-reset was (IMO) very accurately embodied within the "Reloaded" sub-title, just as I think the various definitions of "Revolutions" were so fittingly applicable to that movie's sub-title.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd agree that the individual subtitles of the films as they stand are fine. However, the Matrix doesn't infact reload in 'Reloaded', but it is in the middle of a revolution, and the revolution is actually taking place in all three films. 'Reloaded' is past tense, and 'Revolutions' is happening.

[Also, I often think that the subtitle 'Reloaded' is more of a 'Matrix is BACK!' sort of thing aimed at the public (a computer way of saying 'return'). In a boxset though, there will be no three year gap between the first two films, and so no need for this emphasis. But that's a side issue.]

I would still prefer the whole thing to be re-titled 'The Matrix Revolutions'. I think an overall title would bring the first film closer to the two sequels. I think the overall title 'The Matrix Revolutions' suggests from the very start that a revolution is underway (which I believe includes the first film) and that it would also help the audience out a little more without actually changing the films themselves.

So whilst you can embody each film in a subtitle, I was after, and would prefer, a title that would sum it all up without plumping for the tiresome 'The Matrix Trilogy'... I want a title that expresses the overall story arc rather than the number of films involved.

6. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    From IGN.com...

"Matrix Revolutions Comes Home
    Final installment of the trilogy to hit home just after Christmas.

November 19, 2003 - The Matrix Revolutions is coming home, a little faster than many people might have thought. The final chapter in the trilogy by the Wachowskis will be hitting stores on January 6th, 2004, according to a notification that was sent out to certain retailers earlier today.

IGN FilmForce reported last week that meetings had taken place at Warners regarding an early release of the film to DVD as a response to the film's weak domestic box office and distribution over the Internet. No word on what special features will be included on the disc.
    -- KJB"

Well, if this is true, that rocks. It sucks that the B.O. is so bad that they have to do this....but if it means I'll have the DVD within a month and a half, I'm stoked. ;)

Shelby2

7. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Revolutions did great at the box office. Just because they didn't make enough to purchase a planet with doesn't mean it was a failure.

8. Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd

Leonard_ShelbyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    It didn't do as well as Reloaded, however. Nowhere near. Also, it was only in first place for a week, yes? If that? I can see how the studio'd consider that a mammoth failure at the B.O. But I do agree with ya. ;)

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. If this story is true, I'm happy. I want to own this movie badly. I love the hell out of it. ;) :)

EDIT: Also, Box Office Mojo is reporting that Revolutions has dropped 66.1% after only it's second weekend. That's pretty bad, unfortunately...

Shelby2

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah I don't understand how its considered a bad box office either. Heck half of the supposed "Summer blockbusters" from this year would of killed to have those numbers as an opening weekend (a few of them would of killed to have those numbers period). It beat out one major release that opened last Friday and it was a little over a week old. I mean world-wide in a matter of days it covered the cost of making it twice over.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. I'm dying to see it on DVD. I'm just glad they didn't go the box set route, that would of really upset me. The timming will make it a good Birthday present for me (who am I kidding I'm not going to wait the extra 2 weeks just to get it for free).

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    So apparently whomever it was that was giving IGN there info had something lost in translation so to speak. The WB sent them a letter of clarification saying that the DVD would not be released on Jan 6. Instead it said that retailers could expect more information on DVD details come Janurary. ;)

11. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    I remember people saying TPM was a failure because it didn't beat Titanic. Like 900 million is a failure?!

12. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    It´s official: The fourth movie will arrive:
    The Matrix Retarded: Finding Neo...

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Yeah I don't understand how its considered a bad box office either

I agree. I don't think it's numbers qualify it as a failure. However, I think we all can agree that Revolutions could have made much more than it did. I wish it would make much more than it has. Revolutions is my favorite film of the Matrix trilogy (and currently my favorite movie from this year) and I hate to see the Matrix trilogy go out without a bang.

Now, from my own personal view on this, I believe that the lesser box office of Revolutions is due to the hype that Warner Brothers and the media put into these films. Reloaded was WAY overhyped. Everytime I read a entertainment news article about The Matrix all I kept hearing is how these films would blow away every other film. "The Year of the Matrix" is what they kept calling it. That overhype, in my eyes, is what hurt the Matrix franchise more than anything else, because it put people's expectations too high, and the people that were let down by Reloaded were let down twice as much.

But Warner Brothers and the media handled how to hype Revolutions wrong as well, because in this case they underhyped it. They barely gave it an ad-campaign, thus nothing really excited people about it. Before Revolutions came out, I saw about two television spots. That's it.

I personally believe that's why the Matrix trilogy is all over the place. They overhyped the second film, and underhyped the third film, and this so called "Year of the Matrix" is over.

14. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

It´s official: The fourth movie will arrive:
    The Matrix Retarded: Finding Neo...

[face_laugh]

Actually chuckling by that!

15. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Matrix numbers

$134,000,000 in the 4th week. Both the Matrix and Reloaded continued to put up better weekly numbers. I wouldn't say its a failure, but a huge disappointment financially.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding posted $241,438,208 last year and it looks like Revolutions won't even come close to even that movie. When that movie destroys Revolutions, how can that not be considered a disappointment?

16. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Well, in all fairness, that movie "Big Fat Greek Wedding" was an enormous surprise hit. It's not like it did worse than "Dumb and Dumberer" or anything.

17. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well, in all fairness, that movie "Big Fat Greek Wedding" was an enormous surprise hit.

Yes, because it had good word of mouth, something that Revolutions lacks.

It was also a good movie, something else that Revolutions lacks.

18. Jedi_Master_Orion

Jedi_Master_Orion Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    This is the way I see things.

all of the ones before Neo had chosen to save Zion by rebooting the Matrix, the architect thinking that Neo was less skilled in his powers than he realy was had no clue that Neo could save Trinity (at the moment) and save the human race, and he had no clue that Neo would sacrifice himself to defeat smith.

either way Neo would have died, Smith and Neo were exact opposits, they were together in life so they had to be together in death, that and the fact that Neo was the one was the reason smith couldn't kill Neo.
    But in this choice the human race became free, opposed to the other choice which would continue the war.

The architect could not see past what he could not understand.

EDIT: I know I'm not talking about the box office I just wanted to add on the converstation going on earlier.

19. Space_Man

Aug 16, 2003
    Jedi_Master_Orion: All of the ones before Neo had chosen to save Zion by rebooting the Matrix...

However, my understanding was that Zion always got destroyed as a consequence of the previous Ones' choice. In fact, I was under the impression that Zion was gonna get destroyed regardless of which choice Neo made in Reloaded. No? The choice of returning to The Source was only ever gonna save those connected to the Matrix -- NOT the people of Zion....

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    However, my understanding was that Zion always got destroyed as a consequence of the previous Ones' choice. In fact, I was under the impression that Zion was gonna get destroyed regardless of which choice Neo made in Reloaded. No? The choice of returning to The Source was only ever gonna save those connected to the Matrix -- NOT the people of Zion....

Thats not my understanding at all. The previous ones not only save the people still plugged in but they save zion as well. Ture they don't save everyone in zion but its atleast given a chance to repopulate. Sure the pop will get to high again and the whole thing will start over but the way I understood it one door saved zion and everyone plugged in. The other door saved only Trin and whipped out every other person in the world.

21. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    Zion was destroyed 5 times before. The whole deal was you can save the people in the matrix(and free new minds i think it was 16 male 24 females) and zion will be destroyed, but rebult. Or you could save trin, BUT the people pluged into the matrix would all die and zion would be destoryed.

Neo chose to save trinity. He is the first one to ever have trinity. The other ones had 2 choices as well, but they chose the right door.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Neo chose to save trinity. He is the first one to ever have trinity. The other ones had 2 choices as well, but they chose the right door.

I agree with you - that Neo was the first one to have someone like Trinity , but it raises the question :
    Neo was brought back to life by Trin's love in M1, but in the previous versions who brought The One back to life when he's killed by Smith ala M1? Or did previous Ones not get killed as Neo did in M1? Did the previous Ones go thru exactly the same story (minus Trin) or was it just similar?

Damn I miss Trinity! I didn't have any specific ideas, but I was kinda hoping that we were going to learn more about her in Revolutions and that she'd be important in the final resolution. I know she was in a way, but once she's gone I find it hard to remain interested in the plot.

g

23. Jedi_Master_Orion

Jedi_Master_Orion Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    who brought The One back to life when he's killed by Smith ala M1?

like I said smith and Neo were exact opposits, they were bound together in life so the were bound in death, one could not die without the other dying as well, that's why Neo had to sacrifice himself, that's why Neo came back to life in M1 and that's why smith wasn't defeated in M1.

24. Space_Man

Aug 16, 2003
    weezer: (from Reloaded):
    Neo: This is about Zion.
    Architect: You are here because Zion is about to be destroyed - its every living inhabitant terminated, its entire existence eradicated.
    Neo: Bull ****.
    Architect: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses, but rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it...
    Then, later in the conversation: [if you choose to return to The Source,]...you will [then] be required to select from the Matrix 23 individuals - 16 female, 7 male - to rebuild Zion.

I glean from this that the previous One's -- that decided to return to The Source -- were unable to save the previous iterations of Zion; all they did was help to re-start it after-the-fact, by selecting the people from the Matrix. The choice of returning to the Matrix (and to Trinity) was going to result in: "the end of your species," as the Architect put it -- thus, seeming to imply that Zion would be destroyed regardless of which door Neo chose. No?

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well I guess we are saying the samething just using diffrent words. That was exactly what I was thinking about when I said that zion isn't totaly destroyed.

With the "other" door zion gets a second chance. The Trin door means zion is destroyed and never rebuilt or anything (same with the Matrix).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.