main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Matt Smith (Man of Mystery) in Episode IX.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by FN1971, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Perhaps. But if they wanted to keep something like the Knights of Ren secret -- even if only a couple of them had real talking parts beyond the stunt doubles doing the fighting in the suits -- they probably wouldn't want to have 6 guys (or 5 guys and a girl) in their late twenties or early 30s in that first casting announcement either. The first casting announcement was for the people who'll have mini-arcs. If you look at the announcement for VIII the new people announced there were DJ, Rose and Holdo were all announced there and so I would say Grant, Ackie and other new cast members will probably have roles of a similar size to DJ, Rose and Holdo whereas these newer ones will be slightly less. However, in the case of any Knights of Ren it's possible they'll feature less dialogue but be in more than one or two action scenes.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I should post this in another thread but personally speaking one of the most shocking things Ep. IX could do would be to give the Knights of Ren a substantive role to play, complete with meaningful dialogue and character development. Seems too late in the game for that to me but maybe I'm wrong. And yeah maybe Matt Smith is a Knight.

But c'mon he's totally going to be a droid.

KSennia, FN1971 and Rodie like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wait... how did Prince Philip get to the GFFA? :p

Sorry.

4. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Some CGI eyebrows and hey presto, Snoke back when he could get laid.

It would be hilarious if he was the new droid to help the new Jedi build their lightsabers. I know one Jedi who could do with the help

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  5. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    He just showed up with his grandkids and nobody realized they'd left him behind, including the Queen, and he's been stuck in that studio for 18 months. Was only fair to give him a role after that.

[​IMG]

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well you don't need 6 well known actors to play all of them but 2 or 3 at most with the rest faceless.

7. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    'Smith' is American sounding? erm... okay

Anyway I'm going with Plagueis. Matt Smith totally looks like a Muun to me.

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    You know that's not a bad idea. Think of the screen time Canto Bite took up in TLJ...something of that size could be devoted to a KoR-heavy subplot in IX...and why not make the knights interesting character actors, especially if they will be masked for some(most) of the time?

Also some of these new cast being KoR would mean JJ isn't willy-nilly filling up the final movie with new characters, because technically the KoR have been introduced, and the concept of them working for Kylo is something that'll be easily understood and shown in their very first scene, so you don't have to do much exposition on them (they can save that for the comics and books).

9. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    If he is Thrawn it could be chance to show how Thrawn actualy died.

Grand admiral Thrawn enters command room, starts debate with Supreme Leader Kylo Ren and General Armitage Hux about strategy...imagine Thrawn's face.Thrawn is sweating.
    Than,the two decide to show him their commanding at battle of Crait ..
    ..next scene..Thrawn is urgently transported to emergency department in state of coma,where he dies of heart attack despite all efforts.[face_laugh]

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Great stuff.

FN1971 likes this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe they are delving more into Knights of Ren territory in IX (giving them lines and differentiating the KoR from one another somewhat) because Disney wants to explore spinning them off into their own live action Disney Play streaming series...[face_whistling]

Voltron64 likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    KoR are Abrams baby, I can't see him being upset that RJ left them out of TLJ, it gives him more scope and a virtually still blank canvas to make have them exactly as he originally imagined.

Atollon_Dweller and FN1971 like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    Matt Smith is obviously reprising his role as Skynet from Terminator Jenny Smith. Hasta la vista GFFA.

PCCViking likes this.
  15. NelsonReviews

NelsonReviews Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2018
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No, he's not playing Thrawn. This is ridiculous. If Maggie Smith is the next to be cast, I'm sure she'll be playing Thrawn, too.

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Too young for Thrawn in this era, no? Grant seemed more age appropriate and isn’t him apparently.

Knight of Ren I could buy.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, that was my initial thought. My second one was, what is the Eleventh Doctor doing here?

Seriously...excited about this.

19. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Mickey Rourke? (sarcasm)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Sir, how dare you!?

That’s Dame Maggie Smith you’re speaking of & I’ll have you know she’d make an excellent Thrawn!

[​IMG]

;)[face_rofl]

Now I kind of want to get a fan petition going to make Maggie Smith Thrawn just to see some of those Men’s Rights Groups heads explode online.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Does this mean they'll be dinosaurs on a spaceship?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I hope he's an alien. Not enough alien characters in this trilogy

23. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I don’t see him signing up to play an alien. The fact they call this a “key role” could mean he’s the Knight within the Knights of Ren who challenges Kylo Ren for the throne and becomes the new bad. He has the chops to seem more evil and scary and cunning to pull it off.

[​IMG]

He is basically the Adam Driver of the UK at present afterall. Cult following. Unique looking. Getting lots of good roles lately. Rising character actor. I could see a rivalry there between them with Smith coming off as more clever, calculating and witty opposite Ben Solo being more fly by the seat of his pants risk-averse and good at getting people to underestimate him.

Also reminds me of J.J. casting Cumberbatch as Khan.

24. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    He should be representing a small planet where everyone else is played by Peter Davidson, Colin Baker, David Tennant, Sylvester McCoy...

In all honesty, there's a part of my that wants to see some of these new actors play charismatic planetary and system leaders who are rising against the First Order but have their own adversity regarding allying with each other, since some of them helped the Resistance, some never joined the Republic, and those that were part of the Republic are getting blamed for not getting inivlved earlier.

Galactic Leaders and KOR both feel like roles that great actors could portray for maximum output for a minimum of screen time.

25. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Matt is the same age as Adam, I can see him as a former student of Luke. Not sure about Keri and Dominic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.