main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Matt Smith (Man of Mystery) in Episode IX.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by FN1971, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    The Doctor is here.

FN1971 likes this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It depends. We have a guy in the U.S. named Flavor Fav and he calls everybody boy!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    FN1971 and oncafar like this.
  3. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I really don't know if it's normal or not, but I do know in college (undergrad) in the US, people are not really treated like full adults (or that was my experience), though typically people graduate at 22 (+/- 1 year). A lot of people seem rather immature when they enter the workplace as well after undergrad. It probably matters that the brain isn't even done developing usually until about 25, and I definitely could see the difference in myself when my brain finished developing. I would now regard college-age me as a kid, though college-age me would totally disagree with this statement.

I don't usually think of people as girl/woman or boy/man as I find it's this slippery slope (that really is based on how my own subjective perspective). I would consider Kylo Ren in the ST a man (a manchild or incredibly emotionally immature man who didn't develop at all normally, but a man nonetheless). If boy vs. man is referring only to when one is at their full physical size, then it's like Anakin (19) = boy; Anakin (23???) in ROTS = man (but a *young man*). Anakin at 23 does in many ways behave as an adult from my POV (I'm considering TCW in this as well). In the Vader comics in which he is twenty years older, he thinks of himself at the time of his fall as a child, however. And in some ways he is--he makes highly irrational emotion-based kind of hormonal decisions at 23 (so I could call him "not quite a man") in this sense.

Sorry I can't give a straight answer, but this is also why I don't know for sure what "no more a boy, but not yet a man" means. I think that the age of Ben's fall can still even be altered according to whatever JJA is doing.

I agree with you there are indicators that may suggest the fall to the dark side at Luke's school happened earlier than Bloodline. Also if Ben had warned Leia of the bombing and she knew that, it would be another reason she believes there is still light in him in TFA. I didn't remember the book saying the note was in calligraphy.

ETA: And yeah, I don't know if in the US people are on average way more immature than in most other countries, but there are a lot of really immature people who are even 40 or older. Some celebrities seem to have the luxury of perpetual childhood.

FN1971 likes this.
  4. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Ben Solo is not a boy not a man at 23.

Anakin was already battle hardened Jedi general at 23.

But I acknowledge arguments you people posted here.

Its relative then.And just a slightly less thoughtful or coherent writing I still think, but who is perfect.

5. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    It's called 'infantilization' in this case and is a common usage to give people a benefit of doubt.
    Ironically the media will call children of color 'men' and 'women' in order to demonize them and their actions.

KSennia, civilsecret and FN1971 like this.
  6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    One of the things that I think about, having overheard a great many complaints about "millennials" in life, is that if Kylo is being "infantilized" deliberately it's more about being a manchild than "giving him the benefit of the doubt." Rey is younger than Kylo but much more mature than he is. She doesn't need to be spoon fed and is very independent. If Luke won't teach her, she will just teach herself. Kylo OTOH is a perfect fit for almost ALL the millennial complaints. (And so is Hux.)

Some examples:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-are-way-too-immature-at-the-office-2013-3
    https://nypost.com/2016/03/21/millennials-need-to-put-away-the-juice-boxes-and-grow-up/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4341436/Millennials-don-t-consider-adults-30.html
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-immature-generation/
    http://time.com/247/millennials-the-me-me-me-generation/

Most of these articles are referring IMO to more privileged millennials, but Kylo IS privileged in GFFA by class/political power/family fame.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Matt Smith is obviously playing the Doctor who uses the Tardis to time travel & save Luke before his death & bring him back to fight Kylo Ren properly....

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    And take Rey back to rename herself Shmii, and transporting Lor San Tekka to Tatooine to pretend to be the long dead Obi Wan.

9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Clearly he takes the time to slap Luke back to his senses then travels back to when Snoke corrupted Ben and introduces him to a seriously pissed off Han, Luke & Chewbacca who demonstrate no amount of darkside power can prepare you for River Song....:D

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Surprisingly, it took five pages to happen. But happen it did:

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It only appears to have taken to the fifth page because of the timey wimey causalities resulting from reversing the polarities.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Millennials drink juice boxes. Boomers ruined the country.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    11-4D likes this.
  13. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Don't blame me for ruining the country, that was the old boomers not the young ones, lol

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    It wasn't meant as some indictment of millennials (obviously all statements about an ENTIRE generation are going to miss the individual). But there is something in common here and that's what I'm noticing, and I'm wondering if there is something to it. I definitely have no interest in any "your generation was worse than mine!" back-and-forth. Yikes.

I should have known it would turn into this.

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I was just joking.

oncafar likes this.
  16. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Would not mind Rey Smith!
    :p:p:p

17. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

And what about the Beach Boys? They're like really old

18. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008
    or he bought a new pen?

FN1971 likes this.
  19. FN1971

FN1971 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 13, 2018
    Yeah, quite possible.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Matt is a very unique actor. I’m a fan of his Doctor Who work. After he left I stopped watching.

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    It's Ben's calligraphy set, not Kylo Ren's. It's from his old life.

FN1971 likes this.
  22. littlewaves

Apr 19, 2008
    I guess Ben's pen had blue ink and Kylo's pen has red?

Wait! I just realised all my old school teachers were Sith!

This explains so much

23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    What I meant is that his calligraphy days might be over after going dark. Vader seemed to abandon much of his former self after he turned dark. It seems cutting ties from everything of the old identity is a thing, and I think it can include even little things like calligraphy, which really is kind of artistic. Kylo Ren is not artistic. But who knows, perhaps he now sits in the dark writing his emo goth "poetry."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    FN1971 and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    [face_laugh]

25. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    When your a parent.... anyone under 40 is a boy

Darth Smurf likes this.
Thread Status: