main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mature themes V 3.0 - How do you take your nookiee? Cream and Sugar or Neat?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I have to say that for me it depends on my mood. I mainly write smut and mush, I find it to be the easiest to write, for me. Everyone has their different comfort level. I also have to say that some of the best fan fics I have read have been what would be considered smut, though they usually have conatined a great story in there as well, usually a non canon love story. I have to admit that I have written some PWPs, and I had fun doing them, but the best feedback I have gotten has been from the stuff that starts out hot and then sort of fades into the background and is alluded to.

That being said, there are also times when I find a nice four letter word is simply the best choice, not always, but definitely sometimes. Sometimes it just fits the character or the mood of the story.

2. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    The first time I wrote about sex in fanfic, I think I went a little overboard. It turned out to take up about 5-7 pages, I think. But nowadays, I don't think it's necessary to go THAT WAY in depth as far as description goes. I think I tend to focus more on the emotional aspect of what both characters feel at the moment. It's a really good technique if you don't want to describe every single detail of what's going on.

Of course, you can't just write sex in fanfic just to see what's it's like. (Those are the worst type, because most of the time, they're completely plotless). If you're not mature as a writer to write it, then don't.

~aeryn

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    NOw I've come across a bit of a sticky so to speak -

Two of my characters are *cough* having a conversation *cough* and the sex is intrisicly part of it, yes the act itself, is a BIG part of the scene. What do you do when clipping a scene effectively changes the scene? When a scene loses that vital "Something" because you have to take it out of the bedroom?

4. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I suppose you could tone down the language and keep the sex? It might be difficult, but hey, it'll be challenge!

5. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It's not the language that's an issue - that's never an issue with my writings (I don't need to use 'profanity' to describe the sex act) ut the act itself... the characters are 'making love' (if you can call 'fight sex' making love :p )
    Ah well, I'll burn that bridge when we get there..

6. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    I'm afraid I can't help with this one. I've never tried to rewrite a story that had some sort of meaningful conversation during making love into PG-13. The only one of mine that even has that is a JAG challenge story I wrote fairly recently that involved a married Harm and Mac making love in the porch swing at his Grandmother's farmhouse... And I never tried to fix it so that it wasn't nfic.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Breezy, I did change a scene once so that I could post it on the boards plus also have it more intense for PMs. Mostly I took out the body "parts", kept in the emotions whenever possible and brushed over anything that really needed to be in there but could be considered bordering on PG-13.

Of the stories I've read on the boards where there were PM parts to it, the authors tended to just take out the PMable things and leave in the rest - the imagination is a wonderful thing.

8. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    *sigh* in this case to preserve the scene I think it looks like it'll have to remain "PM by request" :p and an explanation of one of the important parts left to the next chapter!

What can I say, I have a couple of randy characters![face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

9. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Yes, its the 'Return of the Homosexuals are Gay - Fan Fiction Style'*

(Which means we don the asbestos boots and fly willingly into the fire)

Yep, THEY ARE OUT THERE, at least, subtally, and behind the scenes for the most part.

Or are they?

Because of the limitus imposed on us by the site owners (and in part implied by Lucasfilm, but fan fiction has always marched to it's own tune), in this corner of the Galaxy only OC's are gay - and carefully so at that.

But for those of us who can play by the house rules, when you write your 'gay' OC, what motivates you?

What is your focus? is it unrequited love? Is it 'central' to the character's being?

Supposedly, a lot of 'slash' fic (usually refering to the vulgar "PWP" fics) is written by straight females - and oddly enough it's almost exclusively 'male on male'? There are lots of supposed reasons but that's not the point of this particular discussion...

So, irregaurdless of your sexuality, why do we write SSR?

I admit, the first time I cast my OC's as 'gay', I did it in part to rebell against the school of thought that ALL 'slash fic' was mear PWP - that 'gay OC's' could be 'human'... they were ment to be
    window dressing'. Their sexuality was ment to be a passing nod to who they were.

I thought it was a simple matter of substituting "He" for "She" and Vice versa...

Boy was I wrong....

So, Before I rabbit on more than I have, I want to throw this out to the rest of you...

Thoughts?

Input?

Keep in mind that "if you don't like it, that doesn't give you the right to trash it"... This thread has been historicly a safe haven for mature discussion, and I will keep it that way.
    Adam and Steve cracks are NOT acceptable or welcome, and I can hit that "PM a Mod button" Damn quick.

And I will.

*title unabashedly stolen from the Senate Forum.

10. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Somehow I missed that this thread was back up agina! How sad! Ok, on topic now.

I think the main reason I write slash from time to time is pretty much the one you said, Breezy. I do it more as just a way to enhance the character (in the case of OCs, at least) and to make them more interesting and unique. I try not to write slash fics simply for the purpose of writing slash, you know? I don't like fics that are nothing more than a big slashy sex scene. I try to have a plot, and have the slash just be sort of a side note to that, the same way I would with a het fic. When writing or reading mush of any kind, I'd rather have a story to follow. But I think a lot of times, especially in slash, this doesn't really happen. So I suppose one of the main reasons I write it is to try to prove a point that you can have two characters of the same gender who love each other, and who can have an actual story. If that makes any sense at all.

11. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    I think the motivating factor, is 'what makes this relationship interesting?' There has to be tension, some goal on the part of one of the characters that is thwarted somehow.

For the Star Wars universe, a lot of the 'thwarting' has to do with the Jedi Code, and perhaps the fact that the Jedi would look down on such a relationship. How to reconcile these feelings?

And there's the object of desire. Does he or she feel the same way? How to tell, and would the overtures be returned or shut down?

Sounds a lot like the romances currently on the board. :p Perhaps gays and straights aren't so different after all. :)

12. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok, I've added a minor cavet in the opening statement.

Yes you CAN "pimp" your story, as long as it fits in the community TOS, or request assistance via PM... We're all writers here and the object of Fan Fiction Resource is to help eachother out. :)

However, Drive by Pimpers - you just pop in to plug your fic will possibly be edited with the words "I'm just Driving through" if I have my way ;)

Discussion is teh key!

And on that:

EXACTLY!!!

When I first attempted it though, I found it a LOT harder than just substituting gender pronouns.

Men and women are 'hardwired' differently. Unless you are going for the stereo typical 'Jack' of Will and Grace, Gay men don't burst into Judy Garlend songs at the drop of a hat, and not every lesbian is a 'dyke', and not every person who is bi sexual wants to score with every being in the Universe.

Gay characters can be as rich or as shallow as any other characters... even if their sexuality is a prime factor of their 'story'.

Yes, there's always some wiggle room here too... Misconceptions from a character who doesn't understand.

We'll take poor Luke, and for the purpouse of this example, he's as straight as an arrow, typical mid western farm boy from "Tatooine, Kansas" where boys will be boys and Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were life long Reganites.

How does he react to someone who has a compleatly different mindset? To whom loving another man is as natural as breathing?

Basicly, how do you 'help' other characters deal with their in born or nutured sensibilities?

Of course you could have it where in that universe, such thimgs are common but there will always be places where 'different = teh evil...

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Since I only read slash and don't write it, I can say that I'm drawn to stories with romance in them. The people in the stories should stay true to their character - if they are gay, does it affect how they perceive the Emperor or protect someone or live their lives? Or does it? I've read stuff with Obi-Wan as gay and he isn't off shopping, he's still stopping the bad guys and doing a Jedi's job. That makes sense to me.

Also the romance should be realistic and written in such a way that they aren't hopping into bed with one glance. Build up some history here first.

Breezy, I'd love to see a story of how Luke would react in that situation.

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

[face_blush]

Good thing I put in that Cavet about 'Story pimping' being OK!!

From my Own current ficcy, "The Seventh Hymn of Tiresias"[face_whistling]

?Master Skywalker, may I introduce Toa?? he said brightly. ?Toa is my apprentice and companion ? and occasionally my eyes.?

Toa had whispered something in Aubé?s ear. She turned and whispered something back, not looking at Luke.

Luke bowed to Toa, then once again unsuccessfully tried to catch Aubé?s eye.

Is this what you?ve been hiding from me Aubé? Luke thought as he felt a distinctively un-Master-like stab of jealously. Toa was taller than he was, and his simple clothing was accented with a long single braid that did not detract from his handsome appearance in the slightest.

Suddenly, Kay?leb burst into glorious fits of laughter, joined quickly by Toa and Schurke. Even the oddly stoic Aubé cracked a small smile at the thin line of her lips.

For the first time in many years, Luke longed for a hole to open up in the center of the floor and swallow him up. This was just too much to bear, but once again, Schurke threw an arm around him, directing him to what looked like a mercifully empty room. Drawing on the tattered remains of his pride, Luke allowed himself to be guided inside.

?I?m afraid you?ve misunderstood, Master son of Toboo,? Schurke told him gently under his breath. ?Toa is bound inexorably to Kay as I am to Kampher.?

Luke is WAY out of his element here - indeed, he's having a hard time adjusting - he thinks that Toa is a competitor for Aube's affections and this is only on first meeting...
    [face_worried]

15. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Thank you for making my point in a much more coherent fasion than I was able to! :) Like I siad, I'd much rather read a story that just happens to have characters who aren't straight than read a story that was written solely for the purpose of having those characters.

And, Breezy, I like the point you made with Luke. Very interesting! :)

16. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I read slash and write it and I find that no matter how hard I try not to add romance, it is inevitably always there. One of the best reader comments I ever got was that it was one of the best love stories they had read...and that floored me, because I had this idea that people wouldn't like the whole gay Jedi love thing. Don't get me wrong, there is most definitely sex in my stories, it is just that it is part of the story, not the story.

Also dianethx I am with you on the keeping a character true to what they should be. Characterization is an important part of writing in any form, fan fic or not, same sex or not.

I am so glad that this thread is here.

17. Dark_Disciple

Dark_Disciple Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2005
    AnakinGirl wrote:
    I read slash and write it and I find that no matter how hard I try not to add romance, it is inevitably always there. One of the best reader comments I ever got was that it was one of the best love stories they had read...and that floored me, because I had this idea that people wouldn't like the whole gay Jedi love thing. Don't get me wrong, there is most definitely sex in my stories, it is just that it is part of the story, not the story.

Also dianethx I am with you on the keeping a character true to what they should be. Characterization is an important part of writing in any form, fan fic or not, same sex or not.

I am so glad that this thread is here.

Raises hand here, me too! Great thread! I enjoy fanfic, but I particularly enjoy slash fic but only with certain characters I feel I can actually imagine in those sorts of situations. This is a personal issue, and every reader has their own bias as far as that goes. A slash re-interpretation is not for every character in the SW universe, but some, I believe do lend themselves to an expansion of their sexualities, and if explored well within the context of a good story and good characterisation, that still keeps them recognisable to the reader, then these stories can be gold. The 'whole gay Jedi thing' is ripe for exploration AFAIC, because the Jedi, imo, spend a good amount of time together, they live in the same place, they hold to the same ideals, they train together and fight together, they share most probably similar angsts etc, and I imagine, some of that can lend itself to physical situations, though tempered by this great need to hold to being detached, as per the Jedi code. A lot of the slash I've read, take characterisation most seriously, and there is no need for suspension of disbelief as when the character happens to be Obi-Wan, for example, and he's in an M/M relationship, he's still Obi-Wan in every way, as for all intents and purposes the writer nails the essence of what Obi-Wan happens to be, gay or not.

18. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    I agree - it works much better for some characters than others. Actually, I can see same-sex relationships being written more easily for Jedi of the Old Order than the New Order, although my reading preferences tend toward the new. Since they're not held to the ideals of marriage and family and procreation so much, they would be freer to explore relationships (without too much attachment, of course, though that doesn't always work so well in practice) with a person of either gender.

For canon characters (which would have to be archived elsewhere) there are some characters whose sexuality is not really addressed canonically, or not much, which makes it easier to show that they could be gay or bisexual. If they are known to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, characterization in slash fic is harder.

I don't really see in terms of gender, anyway, so to me, slash fic is not intrinsically different than het fic. It's about interactions of the characters, and what kinds of situations might bring them together. Gender concerns might come up from their perspectives, but I see no reason that, TOS aside, it should prevent characters from having a romantic relationship.

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Gang, if you have a ficcy that stays within the TOS (eh-hem, Tangle, I'm calling you out!!) and features the topic at hand, please post an exert!!

PS, I LOVE this icon!! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

20. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    When I wrote my entry for the Rainbow Brigade challenge way, way back, I decided I would have a main character who was *not* in a relationship. Thus, the story would not be about her romantic life. Maybe I'm just ornery. Or maybe I wanted to show that a gay character could have a plot other than the relationship one. I'm weird like that.

I did wind up referring, delicately enough I trust, to one of the main character's previous relationships. Otherwise, I did wonder if anyone would think my story fit the challenge.

I've noticed that a character's sexual orientation is one of the things you figure out about them as you go along, working on the story. And once you know it, you can't change it.

You can't make a gay character straight, and you can't make a straight character gay. (And you can't make a bisexual character different either. Need to add that).

For the most part, I read slash, rather than write it. (And I'm not sure the challenge story mentioned above counts, as the main character wasn't slashed with anybody). I haven't been interested in writing romance, with one exception, for some time now. But when I do sense that several characters are feeling the need to get together, trust me: I won't hold them back.

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    No, that's GREAT! =D= Indeed, that's what I would hope to see more of.

*Hint* An excert and link would be more than welcome here too. It doesn't even have to be the part that referances the sexuality - interesting characters after all are well rounded, stories even more so.

Just a heads up, I'll be gone from Monday the 19th through the 27th - We'll change subjects when I get back but in the meantime, I reiterate:

Links and excerts!!:D

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Upping for a new user.

I'm also looking for those links to our TOS freindly fics, especially those from the "Rainbow challange"

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Well, I do have one. And yes, it is TOS friendly. It had better be, huh? ;)

Destined for Darkness It's subtle right now, but will play a bigger part as the story goes on. It will, however, remain board friendly. At least on THIS board! [face_laugh]

24. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Aw, darn it. I missed the smut discussion (boy, do I write smut), and I don't write slash. :(

. . . Are we allowed to jump back to previous topics, or do we have to stick with the one at hand?

Dana

25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Yes, you can bring up any topic that has been discussed or suggest new ones. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.