main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul in Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's get this conversation going. Is his cameo in Solo leading to an appearance in the much anticipated Kenobi film or is it just a wink to the fans who have seen TCW?

Also how crazy is it that we're discussing Maul in a live action film? What is this 1999? :p

2. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    I haven't seen the Rebels episode with Maul. Does Maul definitively die in the Rebels episode? Seems odd that he's coming back in a live action film but then he's going to meet his demise in a cartoon.

3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

It's very definitive. He literally dies in Obi-Wan's arms with his eyes open, and Obi-Wan closes them. It's a weirdly touching final moment between two people who have spent the last three decades hating each other.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I think the rumor that he’s just in hologram form must be a tease for something more later on. Seems like an underwhelming way to bring him back if it’s just an Easter egg. People liked Maul in TPM for his insane fighting skills, and although fans of the shows now know him as a mastermind as well, general audiences want to see him go nuts in combat.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Feels weird tbh. Never thought Darth Maul would ever be seen in a Han Solo prequel of all films. I wouldn't mind retconning Maul's death in Rebels to Kenobi but if it's just a cameo only to die in a cartoon the average movie-goer hasn't seen...yeah, not sure how I feel.

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Maybe his cameo is setting up his own anthology.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  7. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Wait has this been confirmed?

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It feels right to me. Regardless of the fact that animated fans may be bored of it. The films are seen by way more people and it's been a fun rivalry. In comic films you generally expect the hero's primary rival to play a significant part of the story. Why not Maul with Kenobi?

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Maul could be in the obi wan movie, it would probably help if Obi Wan left Tatooine though.

I assume maul is in a different place in Rebels then he is in Solo so you can assume something happened in that time.

as for how they can kill maul off... you can give Maul a fate that feels like he was killed off. obviously he wouldn't but unless you watch rebels you wouldn't know that.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I feel that in solo he'll be mastermind ganster, he and jabba are rivals. I see him in kenobi movies as a gollum like charracter hanting Obi wan. Until they meet in last movie. And I see now more then ever a Maul movie. I could see him appearing in more movies.

11. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Bonkers.

At this point I'd genuinely not be surprised to see Thrawn in Favreau's series.

lookameatbag and TadoFett like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    What if Quira becomes Maul's first hand women and more[face_laugh]

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Would love it. thrawn needs live acton appearance. more Thrawn.

Bossk_Baby likes this.
  15. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    It's obviously implied that Han and Kenobi meet for the first time in ANH, but is there a way to cleverly retcon that idea and possibly have Han, Kenobi, Maul and Jabba (along with maybe even Quira and Boba) all in the same film? Maybe that's the next film set for 2020.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Damn... it is set 7 years after ROTJ. That's just about the time frame that the original Thrawn Trilogy was set in. I didn't even think of that but... maybe. And what if the casting call for Mara wasn't for IX after all... [face_hypnotized]:p

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Possibly but I doubt it.

It'd be a rather horrible tease to fans to do that in live action then let that be the end of it.

Besides that I think there are quite clearly two strands of the new Star Wars. The live-action stories (meaning the movies and eventual TV) that will be seen by tens into hundreds of millions of people around the world compared to animation, comics and books which have a far lower reach.

For the general audience they have no idea that Maul was alive after TPM. I know fans who know things so very well find it hard to believe but we are the dedicated fans who know at least a bit about everything while regular general audience people have no idea when these movies are set. They just don't follow in that way. A lot of people thought Rogue One was set after TFA regardless of Vader being in it.

Yes they got it after they went in and actually saw the movie but unless someone clued them in before they weren't going to know.

So as for Maul I think it highly likely he will be in a Kenobi movie. Now they've established that roughly a decade before ANH that he still was some sort of crime lord with various connections (and still looking for Obi-Wan no doubt).

This sets up a possible scenario where Obi-Wan finds out about Maul's activities. Obi-Wan lets the Jedi in himself out when he shouldn't have and interferes in one of Maul's operations. While he isn't outed as such he realizes that he has to leave Tatooine to cut off any connection Maul has to Tatooine. This is just the starting point for the overall story but during that Obi-Wan does meet Maul again.

Clearly he can't kill Maul as that happens later but he can destroy Maul's operations which sends him to where we meet him in Rebels.

What I think they could do at some point is the final Obi-Wan and Maul showdown from Rebels in live-action. All that is canon is that they meet on Tatooine beside a fire and Obi-Wan kills Maul. They could do a version of the same scene but adjust it to live-action. Take Ezra's part out (since that is part of his story not their's) and focus on Kenobi and Maul.

Either way it's easy enough to play it with a strong duel in the movie with an outcome that works for the movie itself but still allows for the last confrontation.

Yes. Maul in the movies would have to be more or less the guy you see in TPM (except that he also talks more). The broken down version seen in Rebels would never be in a movie because there is too much to explain to get there.

You could so far as to effectively "kill" Maul in a movie again but in the traditional un-definitive serial way as to where you know they will come back. Now obviously in TPM it seemed pretty definitive being cut in half and falling down a "bottomless pit" but it's not like in Rebels which is definitive.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to laugh, and laugh, and laugh until my throat is raw if Maul ends up being the antagonist of the Boba Fett film instead, and no mention is made of him in Obi-Wan's movie. The plot: Jabba is sick of this Force-using rival in the criminal underworld, and hires Boba and a small army of bounty hunters to take down his empire. Boba Fett vs. Darth Maul; the ultimate OT vs. PT smackdown of fan-favorite characters who look cool and don't have much else to them.

I honestly would fall in love, just a little bit.

burg2774, BadCane, Prime Jedi and 6 others like this.
  19. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    That "showdown" lasted two minutes (with approximately 1:55 of that being the two of them staring at each other.)

Even for Rebels viewers, that was a rather controversial approach. At minimum, the marketing hype did not match the reality.

Doesn't seem like that Disney would make that the hook for a major blockbuster film.

20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Fun part is you probably could have maul meet boba, or boba meet obi wan, or various other interesting ideas.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    hey can make the battle longer and more heavy, just end it like Rebels did.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    No I was thinking more like that would be a coda in itself that would be only 5 minutes. A short film as it were but that really would have nothing to do with a Kenobi movie set approximately 10 years before ROTS.

I liked what Rebels did except I would have liked maybe 12-15 Lightsaber strikes as opposed to 3.

Well I'd disagree they don't have much to them but between movies and TV I can see a set-up for various cross-overs at different points in time.

Maul could be encroaching on Jabba's domain and Obi-Wan has to take down Maul's operations and end up helping Jabba.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I would love it to. But have Mandolorians too. i mean he's a sith lord. and end with Jabba contacting tthe empire. And have Vader and his Inquisitors only him and Vader survives and they battle and he leaves for Malachor.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Thing is from the sound of it Maul sounds abit different to how he is in rebels so what changed? what created this obsession that clearly isn't there in Solo?

Its possible they could do a story set 9 years or something after Ep3 and someone comes to obi wan and asks him for help with maul, he leaves the planet to stop whatever maul is doing, ect ect, somehow it ends in a concluded way but doesn't totally dismiss rebels (if done cleverly)

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    It's really no different from anything they'll do with Vader at some point. We know what happens at the end of his story but there are 20 years of him running about doing evil. Maul is no different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.