main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul in Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Personally, I think they're setting Maul up for the Boba Fett film. Having him be the bad guy in the Obi-Wan film wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense if Rebels is taken into account.

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    No doubt. I'm leaning towards Kenobi since he and Maul have now been made archenemies across a span of decades. It might take even more shoehorning to fit him into a Boba Fett story.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Once they omit Ezra and completely remake the Rebels final duel, I wonder if Dave Filoni will have nightmares of Barriss cosplayers and anthropomorphic Medstar novels pointing and laughing at him.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    No? Boba Fett is primarily involved in the criminal underbelly of the galaxy and so is Maul. There is also no history between the two characters to dance around like there would be if Maul was involved in a Kenobi movie. As for that last one, I reiterate my opinion : I think it is a terrible idea.

GaiusBaltar6 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  5. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I mean, bringing Maul back into live action was always going to be a thorny issue no matter what narrative you consider. That's partially why I was never much of a fan of his resurgence in canon.

6. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    Having Maul in Solo was a terrible idea. Having said this, I think it is more plausible to see him again in Boba Fett's solo movie than in Obi Wan's, for reasons already commented: they both live in the same underworld.

GaiusBaltar6 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I wouldn't necessarily agree it was a terrible idea, I did kind of wonder if he was inserted in there as an "insurance policy," simply to give some sort of shock moment in Solo, kind of like Darth Vader in Rogue One-kind of a "hey there's this guy in there though" extra backup selling point.

That said, I quite enjoyed the idea of Darth Maul in there-and it made me excited for where they're going with all this going forward. My thought is that, instead of a straight up Solo sequel, the next film we'll get covering this area will be the Boba Fett film. I imagine it will have Darth Maul in there, along with Han as another main character in that film-alongside Lando and perhaps Jabba as a minor character. Honestly, after saying all that, I've gone from "meeehh" to quite excited about the prospect of a Boba Fett film, assuming these characters ARE in fact included.

Erkan12 and xoubara like this.
  8. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    I understand your point, and I think too that the decision could have been made as an extra selling point, or to aliviate the fans

Having said that, if I think that it was a bad idea it is because Darth Maul has been dead since 1999 for the general audience, which might actually be more than 95% of the global audience. Also, I would have much preferred to see a completely new character.

GaiusBaltar6 and ewoksimon like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see what there is to justify. For one Lucas was the one who brought him back years ago. Besides that the sequel trilogy has shown they have next to no interest in explaining things that happen in the movies in the movies. If fans want explanations then they are referred to all the non-movie media for them. This is the basis on which the new movies have been founded on. So whatever happens in the movies is there and it has simply to be accepted as such.

As for the possibility of Maul being in a Kenobi movie I think that it's possible but they've been developing ideas for years now.

I'd say that if he wasn't before then I could certainly see him in it now unless they already have Vader lined up.

Clearly there has to be some Dark sider in an Obi-Wan movie for EM's Obi-Wan to have a spectacular duel with.

So either Vader, Maul or someone new they'd have to introduce, build up and have the audience not say. "Why didn't they use Vader or Maul?"

Personally I would go with Vader if they would bring HC in then do some kind of story where Vader loses the mask so HC is playing him for an entire act of the movie.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  10. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't think you can just casually reintroduce Maul into the narrative without providing some exposition on what he's been up to since TPM, and of course, how do you craft a compelling story with him and Kenobi when they're fated to meet later on in Rebels? What are the stakes for these characters, and how do they change?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  11. GaiusBaltar6

GaiusBaltar6 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    Amen!! Either Jabba or even Xizor would have been much better.

xoubara likes this.
  12. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    I also thought of Xizor, but then decided that it would be even better if he was introduced as the leader of one of the other crime syndicates: The Black Sun. That would be awesome!

cwustudent and GaiusBaltar6 like this.
  13. GaiusBaltar6

GaiusBaltar6 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    Oh yeah!!!! I would eat that up!

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013

I wouldn't call it casual. And again Maul is nothing compared to the ST where they don't provide the necessary information to understand what is going on. Maul's return story does exist already and from Lucas no less.

I don't see any problem at all that is different from having any character. If they have Kenobi vs Vader what is the difference? What stakes are there for anything when we know that the main characters in a trilogy aren't going to have a finale until the last movie? Was TESB boring because both Luke and Vader were also going to be in the third movie?

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    No Maul in Kenobi. Please, powers that be, don't let that happen! Twin Suns won't feel the same if it isn't Maul and Obi-Wan's only encounter since the end of the Clone Wars.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  16. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Naturally, stakes don't merely involve life and death here. It's more about the experiences that the characters go through in the film, and how do those experiences inform/develop the character?

Basically, in what ways do you continue to grow and develop Obi-Wan if there's already a clean continuity between his character at the end of ROTS and the start of ANH? And what impact does Maul have on that? I'll be curious to see what they cook up.

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd say it would enhance it greatly since there was no real last encounter of consequence.

Like most heroes you simply reaffirm what they already are. That is the best way to do it. A Kenobi movie could do right what TLJ botched.

Erkan12 likes this.
  18. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    If all a movie's going to do is tell us what we already know and show us stuff we've already seen (in hextuplicate), I think a better use can be found for the 9-figure production and marketing budget.

Solo's box office results tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that.

ewoksimon likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Obi-Wan and Luke's exiles were for different purposes, but that's a separate argument. I'd prefer to find new ways to add layers to Kenobi's life during this time period rather than keeping him a static character. Reintroducing Maul is an intriguing way to mix it up no doubt, but what type of impact will it have?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Then they shouldn't bother doing Indiana Jones 5 and shouldn't have bothered past Raiders. No more Bonds, stop the MCU immediately etc etc.

The problems there are multiple (marketing, production, etc) but one of them is the movie was a point by point origin adventure about how Han Solo became Han Solo. Now if they would have had Han Solo be Han Solo from the very start of the movie and have him in an adventure they would have immediately been better off.

There was not going to be any great journey for Han to be Han.

With basically the same circumstances.

Having the character be who he is would hardly be static. That is character. The story around him would be the point. Luke wasn't Luke so everything around him became a confusion because he wasn't himself and why he wasn't himself wasn't the point of the story so they couldn't really tell that story.

A story about why the character is who they are and reaffirming that is the story to tell. There is more to storytelling than the hero's journey.

21. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Naturally, Obi-Wan's story was never about the hero's journey, and couldn't really be applicable to his exile. Again, I find that the difficulty in telling a compelling story about him is that his mindset is pretty much the same at the end of ROTS as it is at the start of ANH. If you're simply reasserting Kenobi's character, then where's the conflict? And yes, Maul is a possibly compelling factor, but it's just tough for me to gauge his involvement right now.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  22. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    What, what, what, what kind of nonsense is this? What is The Lawless to you, smoked ham? Even if they briefly encountered each other in Son of Dathomir, the Lawless is still huge for them! And it is their last encounter in a moving visual medium and it is awesome!

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So what now ? Will we see Maul in some other movies years down the line. Or will they just make a story in another medium to wrap that loose end up ?

24. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Not too bothered about Boba Fett, but (potentially) losing Maul and Kenobi (at least for now) really hurts.

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maul's story was wrapped up in Rebels last year.

The only thing potential further Anthology movies could do was to expand upon that story, not end it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.