main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul in Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    I actually don't want Maul to be in a Kenobi movie, this confrontation should be left to the animated part of the universe where it belongs. Have Maul be an antagonist, a protagonist or a support character in an underground story. With Jabba and the like in the mix, the Zabrak could play any of those roles.

2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Agreed, this pairing has been done to death and its corpse beaten to a pulp. There was never an emotional foundation underneath that I cared about in any case. TPM Maul was a plot device to kill Qui-Gon. That was it.

Even the Revenge episode in TCW is only important to me because it was an inflection point in Ventress's character arc. I did like the way Maul was used as the Gollum to Ezra in Rebels and the efficient and thematic way that Filoni finally got rid of him, even though I was bored that it was Kenobi again.

This will just be another Disney Star Wars movie on my skip list if they're that predictable about it.

cwustudent and DannyD like this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The two have already encountered each other 5 times in canon.

That fact and how his story concluded in Rebels just makes another Obiwan vs Maul interaction as unoriginal/lazy path of unwanted fan service. It creates the message that for a Kenobi film to be successful we need to get another duel between the two, instead of letting Kenobi film be its own thing.

If Maul is going to get thrown into a duel with a film character in the future, Vader is the more logical choice. Have Maul lose and help to see why he didn’t want to fight Vader solo in Rebels.

Pre-Rebels Maul still has plenty of ways of getting more stories out of him, but it should be done without Kenobi.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I never said fans don’t blame RJ. I said that for some reason, very few of those vocal fans who hated TLJ, but enjoyed Rogue One, give KK credit for Rogue One. They write it off as a fluke, and move on to giving her credit for films they consider disasters (TLJ, and for some, TFA).

Why is that?

I will personally always be grateful to KK for shepherding what is, in my view, the best Star Wars film (Rogue One). She deserves credit for it. Especially from those who credit her with TLJ and TFA. She was, after all, responsible for all three films...

Satipo likes this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Duels you mean? So that'd be TPM, 3x in TCW and then Rebels?

Of course the general viewing audience has only see the one and that was undoubtedly one of the most iconic clashes of film history between the Duel of the Fates and the first time seeing Jedi and Sith at the height of their powers.

It's a instant highlight like Vader in R1.

Well that is what they tend to do in the movies now so from that perspective why wouldn't they do it? That doesn't mean it can't be a good movie.

We don't know what that thing is. It'd be one thing in the movie of many we would presume.

They might do both.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I doubt this will ever be topped...

I'm starting to come around with the whole Darth Maul lives (do I even have a choice? :D) I think I was just taken back by the news.

7. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There is a way they could work in a duel between Kenobi/Maul and/or Vader/Kenobi/Maul.

8. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Make it six times. (Son of Dathomir comic.)

This would be beyond lazy.

cwustudent likes this.
  9. it is impossible for Maul to appear in the Obi Wan movie
    since there would be a continuity problem thanks to Rebels

They could make the shows consider them as non-canonical
    but they will not do it

10. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    Very interesting about Cloud-Riders functioning as an early iteration of the Partisans. Makes total sense really. And totally unexpected, I love it.

They’re building this universe backwards. New Hope was the Avengers and now we’re getting all the backstory on each player. Maybe this all culminates in a remake of the OT with this all new cast that we slowly get used to over the course of a decade.. wouldn’t that be wild.

Maul coming back paints even Tarkin returning in a new light - who’s to say he won’t be used in further installments if they stick to the Dark Times theme for the spinoffs. They already spent all the tech developing him. But anyway, I love the idea of a Dark Times series and I love that by chronology R1 will always be the climax. Seems fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    No, encounters. There is no duel in The Lawless. And if you count the encounter on Raydonia as separate from the ship fight as I do, that's four duels in six encounters.

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    This whole concept puzzles me, especially coming from so many people who pin Maul's potential return in SOLO on Filoni.

Filoni/Lucas oversaw Maul being in TCW, and Filoni his return in REBELS. What was is clearly established as the intention of that narrative is:

Maul comes back, oversees crime syndicates and Mandalore and whatever else during and after The Clone Wars.

Order 66 occurs, Kenobi goes into hiding, and Maul is not sure whether or not Kenobi is alive-- until the experience of sharing the Sith Holocron with Ezra Bridger, at which point Maul begins to plot a way to get to Kenobi for revenge. Other things happen to each character in between, but the clear Lucas/Filoni and later just-Filoni plan is that when Maul and Kenobi meet for the last time, they haven't seen each other since before Order 66.

Yeah, you could, technically, shoehorn something else into there without utterly breaking canon, but if that's done, it would be more counter to, than because of, Filoni, who went out of his way to depart from the narrative thrust of his own show to close down that arc.

It seems more like we'll get Maul-as-post-TCW-crimelord for a bit, with an increasing anti-Sith obsession that leads him to lose his criminal Empire and wind up alone on Malachor. Too much of that story is already written for it to be its own thing, but corresponding appearances along the timeline could be interesting.

cwustudent likes this.
  13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Isn't there already abit of gap in continuity since where Maul is in his life in solo is clearly not the same place he is in Rebels.

There are ways around it. they just ain't stand out obvious.

Do we know how long after ROTS this is set?

14. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I just don't see Maul as a gangster, esp. in light of Rebels where he's still obsessed with the dark side, specifically seeking revenge against Kenobi. I mean he could be paying for sith artifacts or something I guess, but I just don't see him as some sort of Jabba like character. That's not to say it can't be done, just that it would feel very, very weird without further explanation.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    NO- just no- they really shouldn't use Maul with Kenobi ever again. I would actually like to see Maul-movie without Kenobi though.

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In that way, though, he's similar to Palpatine, who really wasn't an "Emperor" in the traditional political sense. He was more interested in dark spiritual matters and revenge against the Jedi. Running the galaxy was just a means to that end. Maul, in TCW (and, it seems, in the Solo timeframe) is probably playing the role of gangster to get something else, whether it's spiritual, or related to finding and destroying Kenobi.

17. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I mean, Palpatine was interested in "ultimate power" and the Sith ruling the galaxy was a large part of that. I could see Maul as more of a Walter Donovan type than a Jabba-esque gangster, which I guess is what you're saying as well.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You know what I mean. He didn't wield ultimate power because he was interested in governance of the galaxy, and other mundane questions like that. He had a more personal and darkly spiritual motivation. He was, essentially, an all-powerful warlock rather than a traditional dictator. Using his perch to prevent the Jedi from ever flourishing again. Just as Maul is a powerful warlock running a criminal enterprise. He's not a gang boss of "low cunning" like Jabba. We saw that Maul in TCW, and it worked for me.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  19. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, the criminal empire thing is just a means to an end for him. I always wondered if this angle was inspired by the idea of ronin becoming involved with the criminal underworld in feudal Japan.

Bor Mullet and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Damn I actually want to see that Maul-movie now....

As much as I like Obi-Wan- he is pretty much my favorite jedi in SW- I find the idea of Kenobi-movie very boring. His life is so well-documented already in the movies and tv-series, how much he can really do between ROTS and ANH?- Talking with Qui-Gon's ghost, meditating, helping random people, fighting sand people and gangsters- going to Mos Eisley cantina for a drink.....He cannot really go anywhere, since he should be watching over Luke and he can't be discovered by the Empire- jedi cannot be running around in daily basis without quickly being discovered, if they actually do something that is. So either Kenobi actually does nothing or the movie violates the established canon. Maybe it is What if -story and actually non-canon from the start? That could work better.

If the movie would take place before TPM Obi-Wan would need to be recasted (again)- same with Qui-Gon, but then there would be something Obi-Wan could do as a padawan learner. Maul-movie could take place between TCW and Rebels or before TPM- he would be easy to recast too. Much better idea IMO. Not sure if they have a good idea for Kenobi-movie, but I can think of any. Maul doesn't work with established canon and he definitely dies in Rebels and needs not to be revived ever again. (or then they should establish he is in fact immortal- that would also work better in Maul-centered film)

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I really like the Ronin connection. Someone should ask Filoni.

He's a Jedi. Whoever the Obi-Wan writers and filmmakers are can simply establish a Jedi shorthand for how he is looking over Luke from afar. Through his emotions, a baby monitor, whatever. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Mungo Baobab likes this.
  22. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    People thinking that Maul had some sort of obsession for Maul always amused me. Yeah, Lucas decided to do that, Filoni probably would have left Maul dead.

Maul had thought Obi-Wan dead since the Purge. He only learned otherwise thanks to the Holocrons.

That year he spent with Qui-Gon protecting Satine. Come on, that story has to be told at some point!

cwustudent likes this.
  23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    If they don’t want to go the route of Kenobi dueling Maul again, I think a better option would be to position the film as Obi-Wan taking down Maul’s criminal syndicate and eventually working his way up to him, only for the Emperor to take notice of his activities and dispatch Vader and/or Inquisitors (one of whom Maul kills) to take both of them out, with Kenobi and Maul having to work together to survive. They both end up on Malachor where Maul becomes obsessed with the super weapon there and tries to convince Obi-Wan to join him in using it to destroy their enemies. Obi-Wan wants no part of this, gets the hell out of dodge, and leaves Maul stranded on the planet.

24. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I suppose one scenario might be Maul coming to Tatooine to start a gang war with Jabba, with the Lars family somehow caught in the crossfire, prompting Obi-Wan to action.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    There is a what, 7-8 year gap between Solo and rebels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.