main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Maul or Tyrannus in the OT's Empire

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Libs, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    If by some fluke Anakin's speeder crashed on his first pod race and never became Darth Vader

how do you imagine Darth Maul or Dooku had functioned in Sidious' Empire?

Do you think Sidious would play to their induvidual strenghts or just employed them the same as Vader as the Empire's enforcer?

Maul was a silent and mysterious assassin, we never knew how he thought or what sets him off, or whether he had any leadership skills
    But he was extremely lethal

Dooku was a talker though, a negotiator and a evil diplomat, very skilled but not necesarrily terrifying or fear inducing

Can you imagine ANH opening and after the rebel-stormtrooper shoot out therein walks.. Dooku, or Maul looking around the fallen troopers, before marching on.

How do you think they would have served in the Empire's infrastructure.

2. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    It’s interesting because I see Vader as being a combination of those two, physically imposing and frightening like Maul and ruthless with his words like Tyrannus. Maul would create an instant and guttural fear amongst the imperial officers and maybe even more so with his general silence. Tyrannus might not induce that instant fear but would gain fear through his words, actions and reputation.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Dooku was the gentleman pirate. Maul was all show, similar to Blackbeard.

Darthman92 likes this.
  4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I am sure we'd of still had Vader - I mean the prophecy and all, and it would take more than 1 failed pod race to put an end to bringing balance to the Force and all that. But assuming somehow Anakin stayed Anakin and managed to do that, I think things would have come along as they were going. Maul would be an underling (upon his return) to Dooku, and together they would wreak havoc on the GFFA. I presume Grievous would still be about to add that swagger to the show too, so it would have been a fun ride.

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    We'd have Darth Sebulba.

Bazinga'd and Darthman92 like this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    TCW shows he was more than that. He was just young in Episode I. He simply never had an opportunity to demonstrate his cunning.

Erkan12, Darkslayer and wobbits like this.
  7. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    So Anakin's pod crashes. Watto wins Amdiala's ship. Qui Gon and Queen Amidala don't get back to the Senate in time. Sio Bibble signs the treaty and the greedy Trade Federation controls Naboo for the time being. No one ever calls for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vallorum. Palpatine never becomes Chancellor. The battle of Naboo never happens. Qui Gon never gets killed. Dooku remains a Jedi.
    Maul continues to train under Sidious until he becomes strong enough to kill his master. The Sith cycle continues.

CampOfSorgan and eko32eko7 like this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Dooku was already a pawn of Sidious before Qui-Gon died. It was his political idealism which drove him into the arms of the Sith.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I think Maul would have been more low-key. I see him acting more like an Inquisitor, acting on his own with personal instructions from the Emperor, hunting down enemies of the Empire, rather than standing on a bridge like Vader, in charge of an entire naval unit. Dooku I see as an administrator, maybe Palpatine's hand in the Senate, and potentially an ambassador. It really depends on how many know that he is not just an ex-Jedi, but now a Sith Lord.

10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    He has leadership skills, you can see it in TCW if you want.

Maul was nothing like an Inquisitor, although Inquisitors were former Jedi knights / padawans, Maul was perfectly trained to do what Palpatine would do.

Dave Filoni : ''He was a well trained apprentice and that he would start to do the things that he trained to do, to build armies, to deceive people, create a power base for himself. So George came up with the idea of teaming up Maul with the Mandalorians. Maul wanted to bring a power base and to get this he identifies the criminal underworld as a place for him to flourish, because Sidious in his gaze more focused on the war with countering the Jedi. Maul knows this, so he figures he could sneak in and kind a create his own little miniature empire underneath everything by existing in the underworld. But all parts are showing that Maul isn't just a brute force, but he is also being smart, he is building a power base, he is doing kind of Sidious did with the senate.''
    --- StarWars.com / Shadows of the Sith

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    If he still had Darth Maul, he probably wouldn't have needed Inquisitors. I'd say Darth Maul, a full-fledged Sith Lord, would be more qualified for the position of hunting down Jedi Knights.

CampOfSorgan and whostheBossk like this.
  12. The Quintessential Jedi

The Quintessential Jedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2022
    Couldn't imagine Maul or Dooku in the OT, Dooku was older and lacked the fear stricken presence of Vader so i believe Maul with a more open persona would be the closest of the two to fit the Sith Lord who takes frontal command of the Empire against the Alliance.

whostheBossk and CampOfSorgan like this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Dooku would have loved it, and he would have fit better with Imperial Human High Culture than Vader. They would have played up his noble birth and supposed noble virtues.

I don't agree that TCW shows Maul to be shrewd, cunning, or a leader. I can believe Filoni thinks that, but I think TCW shows Maul's an impatient idiot who pushed his chips in way too soon on a weak hand.

Dandelo likes this.
  14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don’t know how well Dooku would have aged, being 83 in ROTS and not getting younger over the next 23 years. If he stayed as powerful and healthy, he would serve in Vader’s role well, very adept with diplomacy and dealing with bureaucrats, but ready to turn on his ruthless streak at a moment’s notice.

How the public would buy him working under Chancellor Palpatine is a tricky one, but they could tell the story that Dooku was allied with the Republic the whole time, or had seen the light and changed sides when he realized the Jedi were traitors, according to public narrative.

If Maul had served as Palpatine’s apprentice without interruption, he’d probably have been in a/Grievous/Ventress like role during the Clone Wars- not well known to the public or adept in dealing the the political aspects of the Confederacy. It might be easier to introduce him as the Emperor’s right hand man.
    He’d be realistically fit enough for battle for a larger number of years, being about 35 at the founding of the Empire. His behavior as the Emperor’s enforcer would probably be similar to Vader’s, though he might be quicker to rage.

Overall, I’d say it would be more practical to have Maul in Vader’s role than Dooku, but if Maul had become Sidious’s apprentice during the ROTS timeframe, he’d be looking to overthrow his master at the first opportunity, without much success.

With Dooku, he would probably have the same ambition, but Sidious would keep a close eye on him after the Ventress debacle.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Dooku would have been a better fit.
    He is what The Empire is all about, Prestige and Superiority.

Also the low key ageism in this thread is somewhat surprising. 'Dooku is old, Maul is young and cool bro!' o_O

this pretty much.

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I thnk there would have been another "Darth Vader" just not with Anakin. Palps wasnt happy with both Maul and "Tyrannus" and was looking for replacements.

17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Interestingly enough, Vader was kind of a combo of the two. He lacked the political finesse for the most part that Tyranus had, but was usually less of a blunt instrument than Maul. That being said, Maul in TCW and other material is more than just the assassin he is in TPM.

Tyranus would've fit pretty well, but honestly would've been a better Emperor than Sidious. Tyranus and an apprentice like Ventress or someone similar would probably be a pretty ideal pairing to rule the Empire. I think Tyranus really wanted someone like Kenobi to fall and rule by his side. Emperor Dooku and a dark Obi-Wan seems like an interesting "What If" and a strong Empire.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    About age, Dooku is cool too, but who knows how long he would have stayed in shape after ROTS?

And my number one hesitation with him is that it would be harder to explain to the public why he’s the former Chancellor’s number two after being the Separatist leader. Then again Palpatine doesn’t really need to explain as long as he can rule through fear

Darth Dnej and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not having the Chosen One, Palps would go for the next highest midi-chlorians count: Yoda. He'd clone him and we'd get the equivalent of Darth Grogu.

whostheBossk likes this.