main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maverick of the Living Force ~~~New Challenge: First Padawan Important Announcement ~~~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Layren, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I definitely agree, he'd be a morning person. Up with the dawn. Perhaps even a quick jaunt down to the gym to work out a bit. Warm up those tired muscles with some light calisthenics. Then some lightsaber practice with another early morning riser... someone who he might meet with at least a couple times a week if when both in the Temple. Now energized and a bit sweaty, he heads for a quick shower and some meditation. All before he wakes his padawan up.

2. JediPrissyPants

JediPrissyPants Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2005
    Morning people... There oughta be a law against them! :D

3. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A law against them??? No, we're usually the ones who wake all happy and sunny. I love to drive people at work crazy with being enthused and lively! LOL [face_devil]

4. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    "'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."

KD

5. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, all, just thought I'd let you know I'm lurking here. I just don't have much to say, usually.

I imagine Qui-Gon as a definite morning person, with a bit of a relaxed attitude at home. He keeps himself in control on missions and in public, but back in his quarters his willing to let things slide a bit. I imagine teacups on the table in the common room, a few dirty socks in the bed chamber--nothing big and completely messy, just a bit of hominess. And of course he would have plants everywhere, including some that are slightly sentient.

6. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    In honor of the Irish Jedi not getting an Icon for St. Pats and probably not getting on the banner again tomorrow either... I give you this image (top row rightmost) found the other day...

http://www.gla.ac.uk/~cmc1z/fantasy_celts_b/fantasy_celts_17.html not linked directly because so often for some reason they don't like it...

KD

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh man! That was hilarious!! The Yoda one was juz too much! [face_laugh] Thanks for sharing! ;) That was great!

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was just soooo odd! At least they didn't make Darth Maul's face black and green :p

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    LOL KD that was so funny!!! Thanks for the laugh I really needed that :p

Today is my first full day on the job ... wheee...

I came home during my break and took a nice cat nap -- man I don't know what I'd do without my 3 hour break... I'm loving it already :p

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I killed the thread! Where is everyone?

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I was away for the weekend, going to a convention. And now I'm working on a story (which is NOT cooperating so I'm trying to beat it into submission) Unfortunately, it's beating back. :p

12. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Layren the thread Killer... I think not dear. LOL!

I've been busy with lots of other things.

Okay, what esle can we discussion regarding The Master??? There was a short discussion of his thoughts of Anakin turning... what about his thoughts on Luke's rebuilding of the Order? I'm not very familiar with the EU so I really can't add to this much, but I'd love to hear others ideas.

Or have we done that too? Bit of a headache this morning so I'm unsure...

13. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    I think that Qui-Gon might have appreciated the differences between the old Jedi Order and the new one. Especially, the end of that old "no attachment" rule. He would have made a wonderful mentor for Luke as well. Too bad Lucas didn't think of him until much later! :p

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, well, I do disagree, I'm afraid. While I think he'd appreciate more fluidity in the Order, I can't help but feel that the jettisoning of most of the Jedi Code ("Arrrr, it be more of a guideline!") would concern him and distress him deeply.

I think the Luke's Jedi Order would be very different if Qui-Gon had survived. Although, I also feel that Anakin might not have turned so easily if Qui-Gon had been there to complete his training; I have a feeling Palpatine would have been detected for what he truly is much sooner.

My 2 creds' worth... if THAT much!

:)

15. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I think Qui-Gon was incredibly dedicated to the spirit of being a Jedi. And less dedicated to the letter of the Code. I also think that, from what I remember of the New Order, he would have had serious reservations about some of it. I seem to remember it as considerably less self-less service oriented than I think Qui-Gon would have felt the Order should be. But then I haven't read any new or reread any of the already read EU in at least three years. So my memory could be at fault as to how the new Order worked.

KD

16. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I have been informed by a friend at work that Qui-Gon was on the Clone Wars cartoon last night. Missed it! Darn! Being all masterly but then he always is. [face_love]

Edit:
    Announcement I've told the Obi crowd and now I'm telling you. As of next week, I will be in severe lurkerdom due to not having access to the internet except for a 1/2 hour at work. So I might be able to change the title bar on the challenge thread but not update the indexes until I get back on. It's nothing bad, just I'm moving and will be houseless for a while - anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. Hopefully, I'll have access to a computer so I can write but we shall see.

So if we are going to have another challenge, could we do it sometime the end of this week so I can up the thread? And get it going before I go Lurker. Thanks.

I will do something of an announcement on my story and the challenge thread when I get home. And the author's announcement thread.

17. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Best of luck to you in the move Diane!! Moving sucks :p We've been through three in the last two years..

18. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I know so little of the NJO and have only vnetured a silly little viggie on the Beyond on some of Qui-Gon's thoughts on it.

As far as what I can comment on... the Code or rules... being that Qui-Gon was ao attuned to the present I think those very rules made it quite difficult for him. Every situation is different and sometimes rules must bend.

I would like to think that the no attachments rule being disregarded would have pleased him. It would give the Jedi a more common element with 'the people'. I think good emotions should be promoted but that's my thoughts.

I do agree NJO would probably be different had Qui-Gon survived, I suppose that could be partially true had any Jedi survived, though I think it would have been a more blended of old and new with Qui-Gon.

Want to hear something really sad??? I have yet to see any of the Clone Wars cartoons.. :( :(

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Poor Leona. You're so deprived. :( :p

Had to pop in, because I can honestly say that I like Qui-Gon's opinions of what the Jedi should be - at times. :D I think he was upset with the Order for the reasons people have said before, that the rules were too strict. This is a man who goes with his very in-the-moment feelings. You can't live like that and still follow so many rules. And if he did follow a rule, it was simply whatever the will of the Force decreed.

Luke's NJO was built more around the way Luke was trained, seems like. That is, the Dark Side is evil and bad and don't you ever go near it, little padawan! There was this terror of what the Dark Side could do to a person. Luke was also trained more as a Jedi warrior than as a diplomat or peacekeeping philosopher. So when he touched on dark feelings during a fight, he probably was more than a little unnerved. As a fighter and pilot in the Rebellion, he can't just give up his duty to defending people. But I think it made him vary wary of ever attacking and making the first strike.

Thus, you have the NJO, where Kyp is taking the fight to the Yuuzhan Vong, and Luke is taking a more defensive position.

Qui-Gon would have looked at this and said, "You're both idiots." Luke was concerned with protecting the Republic and also seemed to be paying attention to what his friends in the government were saying. Qui-Gon would've thought he was too concerned with what the politicians thoughts of him. He would've said, "If you're going to keep in mind the thoughts of others, remember to reach out to those you're protecting."

Qui-Gon would've looked at Kyp and said, "You're living in the moment, going from fight to fight, and that is good. But are you listening to the Force, or to your own emotions?"

Maybe. I don't know. Philosophising is hard. :p

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I know, poor me huh?? Just haven't gotten around to being in front of teh TV wehn theyr'e on, though hope to get DVDs and then be able to watch them a season at a time. :)

You've given alot of me alot of insight on the NJO JadeSolo. With what you've explained of Kyp and Luke, I've not doubt you're correct in what you said Qui-Gon would say to them.

If you're going to keep in mind the thoughts of others, remember to reach out to those you're protecting."

"You're living in the moment, going from fight to fight, and that is good. But are you listening to the Force, or to your own emotions?"

I definitely see those as words out of his mouth.

21. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Qui-Gon would have looked at this and said, "You're both idiots." Luke was concerned with protecting the Republic and also seemed to be paying attention to what his friends in the government were saying. Qui-Gon would've thought he was too concerned with what the politicians thoughts of him. He would've said, "If you're going to keep in mind the thoughts of others, remember to reach out to those you're protecting."

Qui-Gon would've looked at Kyp and said, "You're living in the moment, going from fight to fight, and that is good. But are you listening to the Force, or to your own emotions?"

Here here! I so 100% agree JadeSolo! :D And I most definitely could see Qui saying those words as he shakes his head sadly at what has come to be.

22. kaia-tan_wande_jinn

kaia-tan_wande_jinn Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    i just love qui gon jinn.... what can i say?
    he´s perfect ( at least for me ). he was a great jedi, and he was not really concerned about the rules ( great ).
    He was focused in helping people, he could feel other people´s feelings, he always did what he must, not what others told him.

revolutionary jedi qui gon !!

23. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Qui-Gon would have looked at this and said, "You're both idiots." [face_laugh] Jade you are so funny but I think you're right about what he would have said to Luke and Kyp (especially Kyp).

However, I still contend that he wasn't as much of a rogue as fanon implies. After all, he did obey the Council when he was told not to train Anakin (well, for the most part - not obviously anyway). And he went on the missions assigned to him (he may have gotten creative with the solutions but he did get the jobs done). A complete rogue would have gone off and left the Jedi to do his own thing.

Now, for something completely different... in the Clone Wars last episode, Ani makes a crack about how Obi-Wan is no Qui-Gon Jinn. He apologizes later but there is that undercurrent that Obi-Wan could never live up to Qui-Gon's example. Do you think that Anakin always thinks of Qui-Gon as the epitome of a Jedi? Because he is or because he died after Ani only knew him for a few days and never saw the hero's flaws?

24. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I think it would be easy for Anakin to see Qui-Gon, as the first Jedi he ever met, to be what all Jedi should be like. I always imagined that in that brief amount of time Anakin knew Qui-Gon, they bonded, and then Anakin is left with Obi-Wan and a relationship that started with a lot of baggage (ie Anakin knew Obi didn't think he should be trained, Obi was grieving, Anakin missed his mother, etc.)

I think Anakin must have wondered at times how different things would have been if Qui-Gon had trained him. When he was frustrated, it could have also become this, if Qui-Gon had trained me, this wouldn't have happened sort of thing. I don't know.

Does anyone think that a small part of Anakin blamed Obi-Wan for letting Qui-Gon die?

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Does anyone think that a small part of Anakin blamed Obi-Wan for letting Qui-Gon die?

Not a small part...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.