main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Mav's Away Thread - Mav is away for a bit...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 20, 2009.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Wait a minute. Weren't you on vacation in April? [face_thinking]

;) Have a wonderful time in Costa Rica. My son wants to go there with a Spanish Class school group that goes every year. Never mind that Spanish is his most hated subject and he barely got a passing grade for the last five years (meaning straight Cs). Nope, he still asked if I would pay $2000 for him to go to Costa Rica for a week. :rolleyes: Nope!

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Enjoy your trip, mavjade ! :D [:D]

When I took Spanish in high school, there was of course the school trips, but for some of them you had to be earning good grades (high Bs or As) in order for the teacher to let you join. Places like Acapulco or Cancun, where there's enough bilingual residents due to the tourist trade, were fine if you were pulling Cs or low Bs, but Mrs. Chaco (that was the name of my freshman teacher) was absolutely adamant that if you were going with the class to a place like Mexico City, your marks had to be up to scratch. It was for our own safety she said, and I believed her—that place is not to be taken lightly, especially by teenage slackers.

I've heard that Costa Rica has a pretty good reputation as a tourist alternative to Mexico or other Latin American countries. Though since relations with Cuba are being normalized, perhaps that could be your next vacation destination, Mav?

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Bah. I hope you get burnt to a crisp and eaten by bugs.

Seriously though have fun.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Have a great time in Costa Rica, mavjade - don't forget to tell us if there are any cool places or cool food. I had a workmate from there, but other than that, I don't know much about the country. Then again, Costa Ricans probably don't know anything about my country, either.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Have a super trip. @};- By the time you get back, the next TFA trailer will be out too. :D :D Rey's paternity - hopefully will be revealed [face_laugh] or confirmed [face_batting]

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Have a great time on your trip, mavjade! We'll miss you. :)

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone! I am back! Had a great time, I'll post some pics in a little bit later. :)

I did go on vacation in April, but there is NO relaxation at Celebration, it's no to little sleep and a lot of standing in lines. This was a mostly relaxing vacation that was really needed!
    Even if your son doesn't speak Spanish, pretty much everyone speaks English there, at least at the hotels and tours. (But I can understand not wanting to pay that for him barely passing the class. :) )

It was very friendly... too friendly for me. I hate it when everyone asks my name and wants to address me by name all the time. ;)
    I would like to go to Cuba, but we've only been to Spanish speaking countries so far, so I'd like to branch out a bit more next time. But one day!

I didn't get burned, somehow, but I did get quite a few bug bites... does that make you forgive me?? [face_praying]

Strangely, I didn't get any bug bites on the days we were actually in the rain forest, but on days we just were at the beach. (I guess it isn't strange, I used bug spray when we were in the rain forest.)

There was TONS of great food, I ate a lot of black beans, rice and fish... it was fantastic! Also fun things to see... sloths, monkeys and volcanoes were my favorites. I'll share a little more when I share pictures.

:( I wish that had happened! (Unless I missed something I haven't seen yet.) But we did get a cool video from SDCC so I count that as a win!

Thanks! I missed you guys!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Welcome back. And yeah, pics! :)

mavjade likes this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Welcome back. We didn't get into too many fights while you were away.

mavjade likes this.
  10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys!

I'm going to be gone this weekend training with my federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team in the mountains of New Hampshire. I didn't have any cell signal last time we were there and even if I did, it's government training so my time is accounted for the entire weekend.

I'm most excited that we're going to do night time search and rescue, and tactical emergency casualty care training... because I'm a nerd like that! :D

I'll be gone tomorrow, September 8th, through Sunday September 11th.

You guys have fun and be good to Bri! :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I guess you can go.

mavjade likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Night time search and rescue? Oh, wow. Have a good time! Sounds fun when not real.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I am back! I had a great time even if we ended up not doing the night time search and rescue.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hello all!

You know that training I go to on occasion for a medical team should a disaster happen? Well I'm being sent out today for the oncoming hurricane. I don't know for sure how long I'll be gone, but it most likely will be up to two weeks, the longest it could be would be three weeks. I have no idea if we'll be some place with internet or cell signal, so I don't know if I'll be on at all during this time.

tl;dr I'm going to be gone for a few weeks with unknown internet access.

Please be kind to Bri, this is very last minute, not to mention quite a long time.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Be safe out there, Mav! Sending all best vibes your way. [face_good_luck]

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Mav, please take good care of yourself! I know you're trained for this, but it sounds frightening. Hope your team helps a lot of people. [face_good_luck][face_flag]

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Take care!

Findswoman likes this.
  18. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Be safe, Mav!

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Hopefully you won't be as needed as possible, but then again this is a big hurricane with a lot of power even if it's been downgraded a bit.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    (I said this in our other thread but) stay safe!

Just a note to everyone else, I'm going to try to be on at least once every day, but I'm in the middle of a crazy semester, plus I'm spending the holiday weekend at my mother's (with slow internet) so please be patient with me!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

I am back and brought a wicked cold back as a souvenir. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome back, mavjade! (That's what the like is for, not the cold, which I hope you will recover from soon. @};- )

mavjade likes this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Good to see you back.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Welcome back, hope all was as stress-free as possible!

25. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Welcome back. :) Sorry you have a cold. Hope you feel better soon.