main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

May Be coming to Scotland

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Shara, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey all, it's me again. I'm thinking about taking a week or so trip to Scotland (with some time in Ireland and your neighbors to the south). I know a few places I'd definitely want to go, and I'm sure they could take up a week or so, but I would like to see more of the land without being too touristy. Any suggestions?

2. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    It depends on where you are going and how far you are wanting to travel, though I would say Edinburgh and the surrounding area, there is a lot to see and do there :)

3. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I know I'd be going to Mull for sure. I'm ofClan Maclaine of Lochbuie, so I'd have no excuse not to go there. I would love to go to Edinburgh too, but I don't know what exactly there is there to see. Granted I'm not saying there's nothign there, I just don't know what exactly is there of interest. I'm sure just going there would be fun for me. Also I would definitely go to Londonderry, Ireland. There's at least one place I have to go there too. I wouldn't mind going to Dublin either. Same problem with Edinburgh though, too. I hate being a tourist, but there are just "touristy" places I would have to go.

And of course I'd love to go out for a pint with any of you if you're willing, but I'm sure your tolerance could best me any day.

4. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    The only place to visit is Glasgow. Go there. Not to Aberdeen or Edinburgh - they're all funny there... :)

//runs from Gav

No, seriously, everywhere in Scotland is fantastic (except maybe Edinburgh LOL).

CaSS fae Glasgow

5. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Don't listen to her. Edinburgh is nice. You could maybe try St Andrew too, it's nice there. Aberdeen is OK, but there's really not a lot to see here. Apart from Royal Deeside which is gorgeous. Edinburgh and Glasgow and some places in Fife are the places to go for history and stuff.

6. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Not Edinburgh

LOL

7. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    LOL

It's better than Glasgow :p

8. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Now now, stop all your fighting! I'm sure both places are lovely. And I'll probably end up in both, but if the same thing is true last year, it's cheaper by about $500 to fly into Edinburgh, and it's a lot closer to Mull than Glascow is.

Anyone ever been to Mull?

Also, I've been wondering about cuisine over there. What's the general main staple of food? I've only have one thing that is traditionally Scottish (bridies-which I love and fix at home and fixed for the Scottish Society; rave reviews). But that's it. I'm sure it's all edible (except for that haggis, which although I've never had it, I never intend to either). Just wondering.

9. MaceWindy

MaceWindy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2000
    Hi Shara, I'm with Cass on this avoid the East coast a horrible place to go to :p, and you may want to get a new map as Mull is on the West coast. As for the food nothin' to spectacular lots of fried food, and Scotch pies- all parts of a sheep in a pie lovely, helped me decide to become vegetarian.

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey, I never said it was in the east. I know it's in the west. But isn't Glasgow way north? And I know Edinburgh is in the east, but from what I saw Edinburgh was a lot closer than Glasgow even though it's on the other side of the country.

Yeah anything using up an animal's guts I try to stay away from. But over here you never know what they put in some of the junk they mass produce.

11. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Glasgow is in the lowlands in the West. I have been up North and I must say its fantanstic. Orkney is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Food: Its fine. Very varied. And dont believe what everyone tells you about it all being fried. We're as food-conscious as any other western country.

12. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    Unfortunately Orkney and Shetland are also the most boring places on Earth!

She's lying about the food ;) Th ebest food is the friend stuff (Deep Fried Mars Bars yummy)

13. MaceWindy

MaceWindy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2000
    Orkney is amazing, i have many friends up there, in fact I'm going to a wedding there in July, as for Boring you want to try Kirkwall on a Saturday night its excellent fun.
    But Cass, food-concious, aye right, the only thing we are concious about is making sure theres nothing good for you in our food.

14. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Orkney is EXCELLENT.

//hushed tones to MW

Obviously young Gav hasnt been there, huh?

//back to normal

I would go back to Orkney in a flash. Its one of the best holidays I've ever had.

15. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Wow I guess I have a lot to look forward to. That is if I get there. It's dependent on whether or not I start graduate school in the fall, which also means I have to be accepted. If I am, then no Scotland for me for awhile. If not,wild horses couldn't stop me. Except maybe my boyfriend.

As for the food, I'm not a huge fried food fan. Trust me, we get too much of it around here. I'm pretty content with a sandwich and a piece of fruit. I missed that while in Italy. Went there and ate lots of pasta and Italian foods, but I didn't get a lot of beef, or vegetables or fruits. I'm highly adaptable, despite what other countries think of us "stupid Americans". The last thing I want to do is come off looking or acting like a tourist.

16. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Well Shara, you can rest assured. Scottish Beef is the best beef in the world. We didnt have any Mad Cows or anything up here.

Well...only the human variety, and by that I dont mean CJD, literally, there are some mad cows up here...

LOL

17. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    And we've had one less up here since January ;) :p

18. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //raised eyebrows at Gav

19. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    <runs away scared>

20. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I'm glad that you didn't get MCD up there. I don't eat a lot of beef, but I have to keep my protein levels up. And I'm glad that you guys have been so nice to me, too. I know the reputation Americans have around the world, and I appreciate you guys talking to me despite that. I try to pay attention to the international arena. I will say up front please forgive us for the idiocy of our president. He didn't even which the public's vote and he still got into office. Now he's running around Europe offending people. He's just an idiot and a few other things I can't say on here. I try my hardest not to be a jerk American who thinks the world revolves around them. So hopefully you'll like me in person if I ever get over there :)

21. Gav Daragon

Mar 25, 2000
    No problem at all :) When you do come to Scotland let me know and I can maybe travel to wherever you are and show you why Scots have a reputation of being drunk all the time ;)

22. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Scotland is a wonderful country but the weather leaves a lot to be desired.

You should definitely come to Glasgow and the West Coast - it's beautiful and Glasgow is one of the most happening cities in the UK, if not Europe, seriously.

As for Edinburgh - it's also known as Scotland's moon, beautiful to look at but completely lacking in atmosphere [face_mischief]

SDM

23. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    That is so true. And you can never find a parking space in Edinburgh either.

Me and MOT drove through for the Fringe last year and couldnt find a parking space anywhere - god forsaken place.

AND...its the most English place in Scotland ;)

24. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Parking in Edinburgh is akin to having teeth extracted without the anaesthetic.

Went to see the Simpsons live at the fringe last year - very funny, those people are soooo talented.

SDM

25. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    They had a SW in half an hour thingy at one of the theatres which we had tickets for. Never did get there cuz I couldnt get parked.

Got to the Paul Klee exhibition though and the Dali exhibition which were both fandabidozi ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.