main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mayans M.C. (Spoilers inside)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Chiznuk , Sep 13, 2018.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

For those unfamiliar this is a spinoff of the FX series Sons of Anarchy and is set two and a half years after that show's finale. It centers around the Mayans M.C. (although a different charter than what we saw in the original show) who were rivals of the Sons of Anarchy through most of the series and introduces new main character Ezekiel "EZ" Reyes who is a prospect when the show starts.

I've only seen the premiere episode so far but I plan on watching the second this weekend. It was a strong start to the series. Not as good as Sons of Anarchy but still pretty solid with some interesting storylines introduced.

I'll admit that EZ being an informant for the DEA took me completely by surprise. Was not expecting that. Then the show shocked me again when his brother admitted to being the one who supplied the rebels with the clubs route. So things are pretty grim for EZ right out of the gate. [face_laugh] But I'm hooked for sure!

That Gemma cameo in the prison though was probably one of the least subtle cameos I've ever seen but maybe it'll lead to something important.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Side note: Can we have this as an untagged spoiler thread for this show like we have for Better Call Saul? I like it better that way. Until then, I'll tag.

General question: So Alverez from Sons is in the Mayan M.C., but it appears this show isn't about his charter, but a different charter under the Mayan fraction, correct? I kind of need a map to know which charter belongs to what area as it's a little confusing especially when other charters from other gangs show up.

S1E1
    I kind of saw EZ being a double agent right away, especially with the coordinates written on the bag that he gave to his dad in the first 2 minutes. I did NOT see the other twist coming at the end with this brother and friends. That was well done. It immediately makes this show more interesting as Jax was loyal to his family and his club, but now EZ has to be loyal to his club, his father, the DEA, and his brother. How can you be allegiant to all those things and keep it straight without screwing up?

Questions so far:
    1) Could EZ be father of the baby or did that baby get aborted or did she put it up for adoption?
    I know the flashbacks were 8 years earlier but I'm not sure when he was put in prison in that 8 year period. I didn't catch how long he had been in prison before released using the "dirty" cop excuse by the DEA, allowing him to have his undercover status. If he was a senior (18) in high school, I would say he's in his early to mid 20s currently.

2) So when the Sons crew decided not to get into the drug business, the Mayans did and now they have essentially have to answer to that crime boss in the rain coat all the time?

Final note: IMO, the Gemma cameo took away from the power of that scene in the prison. The girlfriend dropped the pregnancy bomb when we're trying to learn and care about these 2 new characters and Gemma being there was VERY distracting.

S2E2
    • I liked that the episode pretty much picked up where the last one began with a heartbreaking scene of the baby being taken away. I did like her throwing up when seeing the guy get shot. It made the scene feel more real. Unfortunately, that wasn't the last of the vomit we'd be seeing in the episode.
    • I need to learn the names, but I love the leader of this character of the Mayans. He sounded A LOT like Clay this week and I liked it.
    • EZ's brother and the leader woman - romantically involved? It was hinted at but I wasn't 100% sure.
    • The food truck guy and his son being burned with the paper stuck in their mouths was very powerful and ****** up scene. It definitely sends a powerful message back to the Save Mexico / Kill the Devil group.
    • I know EZ's ex gf wanted answers, but now adding her to the mix if any of her entourage says anything to rain coat guy could lead to trouble.

Questions:
    EZ's dad wants to be more involved. Why? What's the deal with his dead wife? And how does that relate to EZ? Is that what got him put in prison?
    Why don't EZ's brother and father speak?

3. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't mind if we go with untagged spoilers. I just wasn't sure so went with tagged for now.

Alverez is President of the Oakland charter while his cousin Obispo is President of the Santo Padre (not sure is this is an actual place) charter which is on the Mexican/United States border.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks, I see his nickname is Bishop on wikipedia which makes sense since Obispo is Bishop in Spanish.

I wonder how far away Charming is from Santo Padre.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was curious and looked it up... apparently Santo Padre, CA is a fictional place. I haven't watched the show yet, though.

There, I contributed to your new thread, @Darth Chiznuk . :p

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah but you didn't ridicule me mercilessly so you fail at life. :p

EHT likes this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    S1 E4
    So I haven't decided if I'm supposed to care about Galindo's wife Emily yet or not. I don't know if the show is going to turn her into a mini-Gemma getting involved and pulling the strings, which I kind of want, but kind of don't want. It does appear that Galindo's mother is the master manipulator claiming she chose the outside but she appears to be very much on the inside and knows what's going on. Heck, she manipulated her son to retaliate against Adelita and her gang by choosing to let his son go a few episodes back. Super ****** up.

Speaking of Adelita, I was kind of getting worried that Angel forgot about the heroin he was supposed to move for her so I'm glad he mentioned it at the end of this episode when trying to contact the guy in the fatigues with the funny finger/phone bit.

Again, speaking of Adelita, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and it appeared that she put two and two together that the "spy kid" was going for the phone in the tent, but then he was handed the cell phone and took the video. Now her identity is exposed so I thought we were going to get some sort of payoff with that setup against the kid, but we didn't. Ultimately, the nun was killed to try and frame Adelita and her followers, but that backfired on Emily so again I go back to my original question if I should care about her. It was definitely a full circle blind leading the blind turn of events.

Now, the show, four episodes in, is trying to make us care about EZ's handler who also happens to be a second cousin out of nowhere. Hey, this guy's an *** ****, nope, he actually cares and the feds want to flip Emily. So if Emily doesn't become mini-Gemma then I guess she becomes mini EZ turning informant, and maybe that gets her killed. I'd like turn of events of her dying for good reasons instead of stupid ones.

I guess there is a random house of ill repute and it seemed one of the Mayans has a special connection with the madam? That was kind of glossed over and wasn't explained.

Then we meet the mayor who is also playing both sides? At this point, who isn't playing both sides?

It's a bit much, IMO, how convoluted everything is only four episodes in. The B or C or D story with Coco and his mother and his sister now daughter didn't do anything for me either.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    So I'm just going to go ahead and make this a spoiler thread like we have with Better Call Saul. Updated the title so hopefully no one will stumble in here unawares.

Anyway, the sense I'm getting four episodes in is that this story is ultimately going to be about EZ and Emily. Both are in way over their heads. EZ not only has to worry about being an informant but now has to juggle that with the fact that his brother is working for the rebels behind the club's back. And I think Alvarez may suspect something which is probably what his little talk with EZ was about. Now on top of all that he has to try and turn Emily. How many possible ways can EZ get killed now?[face_nail_biting]

Meanwhile, Emily got a first hand look at the brutality of her husband's work which she has been trying to ignore. I don't think she's Gemma. Her heart is really not in this world like Gemma's was. She just wants her son back by any means necessary. If that involves betraying her husband I she'll do it.

So in the end I think EZ and Emily will be in this together just trying to survive.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't think Emily is Gemma....yet. If I'm remembering correctly Gemma was with John Teller when she met Clay and together they betrayed John for the "betterment" of the club. That's why I kind of wondered above in my review is if we're seeing the seeds that Emily is going to sow that leads down the path of darkness.

As for EZ, he definitely has a lot of plates to spin and I feel he's the Jax of this story. Things will definitely change, especially his outlook and/or his goals, when they reveal the past of his father.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I can see some similarities there. But ultimately despite the noble intentions Gemma may have claimed she had she was a cold blooded murderer who killed her husband for financial gain. There wasn't anything noble about what she and Clay did. On the other hand Emily just wants to get her son back. Her husband has already betrayed her once by taking revenge against the rebels and risking their sons life in the process. And I doubt that's gonna be the furthest he goes either since he's already pretty much decided to sacrifice the child. So I don't think her stepping more into his world is going to lead her down the dark path of Gemma. I think it's ultimately going to lead her to help EZ bring him down.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The show has really heated up the last couple of episodes. I wonder how Angel will respond to Adelita actually working with the cartel now. And the Coco subplot had a nice payoff this week. The Reyes brothers are in deep **** now. After a slow start the show is starting to come together nicely. They still need to take some time to develop some of the minor members of the club the way SoA did but I really love the dynamic of EZ, Angel and Coco so far. Two episodes left!

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    At this point, who isn't a double/triple agent?

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Cristobal? :p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    That is the only name I remember because it's said so many times. I'd love to see a chart vs Lori saying Carl and Michael saying Walt.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Damn I completely forgot about this show somehow. Probably not a good sign. I think I still have a few more episodes left. I might try to watch them this weekend.

@TiniTinyTony did you ever finish it?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I finished it. And it got renewed for a 2nd season which is good. I was worried that it would get the ax like Bastard Executioner.
    Also Katey Sagal has signed on to recur on the upcoming series called Grand Hotel so hopefully Kurt won't be able to put her in any upcoming episodes of Mayans.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think I got up to the episode where the police stop the Reyes brothers car and find the body in the trunk. That was a good cliffhanger I can't remember why I dropped the show. Oh well. Gives me something to watch this weekend.

Glad to hear it got picked up for a second season and also glad to hear that Katey Sagal hopefully won't be making any more unnecessary cameos. I still can't believe that first one. Haha. :p

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    In flashbacks I hope?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it was a flashback. The main character was in prison and they just show her briefly visiting someone else. It was a pretty useless cameo.

TiniTinyTony and Diggy like this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I haven't thought about this show since last November when the season finale aired. I remember the moment you're talking about, but I don't remember the specific episode that that happened. I want to say maybe you're half way?

It's definitely worth your while to finish. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear your thoughts on specific episodes as it should spark my memories.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Judging by my last comment here it looks like I have two episodes left. I might need to do a full rewatch before season 2 since I know the big storyline stuff but individual episodes and where everything lines up is kinda hazy now since I haven't watched the show in months.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @Darth Chiznuk Not sure if you heard, but I follow Kurt Sutter on Instagram and he posted that season 2 of Mayans returns September 3rd (10 PM ET/PT) on FX.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Nice! I still haven't been able to watch the last two episodes of season one yet. I don't really want to pay to watch them on-demand so hopefully they re-air the whole season before the second season premieres. I need to rewatch the whole season anyway.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    They've added Mayans M.C. to Hulu so I plan doing a full season rewatch before season two. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember so it'll better for me to watch the full season than just the last two episodes I missed.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I ended up binging the season this weekend. I think the whole season held together a lot more for me watching it progress in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. So @TiniTinyTony how do you think Happy is connected to the Reyes'? Angel mentioned that no money was taken so it doesn't seem like a robbery gone bad. Could he have a connection to Felipe's partner and made the same mistake Adelita did? For a second I entertained the notion that he could be her brother but that doesn't make sense. She said she watched him die and he'd be younger than her anyway. Well I'm officially excited for season 2!

TiniTinyTony likes this.